G1000 KAP140 Coupled Course Reversal Fail

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Thought I'd post this up here to see if I can figure out what the heck went wrong yesterday.

Was flying IFR yesterday from KDPA - KRPJ vectored to the IF (BATBE) on the RNAV7 coming up from the south east (rough heading of like a 310).

Everythings in the FPL as appropriate, I'm on GPS, I'm sequencing correctly, BATBE is clearly showing up with the parallel turnout out to the west for the course reversal... KAP140 is set to APRCH mode.

I Get to BATBE, and she overflies BATBE and starts turning in-bound to the northeast instead of outbound.... i tried switching it back to NAV and no dice. So then I proceeded to correct / de-couple and hand flew the reversal and approach.

Any ideas on what the problem was here?

Someone may correct me, but I don't >think< the G1000/KAP 140 will fly holds or course reversals.

Someone may correct me, but I don't >think< the G1000/KAP 140 will fly holds or course reversals.

I thought for sure it did published holds... especially on a missed.... no? Am I smoking something?

I thought for sure it did published holds... especially on a missed.... no? Am I smoking something?
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure. It's been a while since I've flown that configuration. But I >think< you have so suspend sequencing, fly the turn, then resume sequencing. Still waiting for someone with better info to chime in.

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure. It's been a while since I've flown that configuration. But I >think< you have so suspend sequencing, fly the turn, then resume sequencing. Still waiting for someone with better info to chime in.
With the GFC700 you don't go through those button acrobatics unless you punched up VTF. I think the KAP140 is the same way. Did the KAP140 fly something different than what was drawn on the MFD?

Bingo.

The KAP 140/G1000 combo is very "dumb" despite it looking pretty nice. It doesn't have GPSS, and the two barely communicate at all. The G1000 merely provides course deviation and heading - I think that's it!

I believe what probably happened is that when you crossed the fix, the G1000 put the course pointer at 071, because that's what you do when you have an HSI. The KAP 140 sees that as the desired course and turns toward it.

So, next time, flip the autopilot into Heading mode as you're approaching the fix, and use heading mode to do the outbound part of the hold and the turn inbound. Don't engage approach mode until you're intercepting the inbound course.

Do you log data with the G1000? (is there an SD card in the upper slot of the MFD?) If so, can you post the log? That would help to diagnose what happened.

Back