G.I. Bill benefits for Flight Training

Do it through a college that owns the airplanes and it'll pay for everything. If you have r your ppl, go to any college with a program and get BAH too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You never really know until it happens. Just saying to watch out for it....best you can I guess....
funny...so there are no guarantees and scam artists everywhere. good point and noted.

The VA recently stopped funding private pilot training at Palo Alto Community College in San Antonio. The VA will kick in funding for the professional pilot 2 year degree program only for students that start the program with a private pilot certificate. I understand 4 year colleges that offer aviation training still get VA funding for students that start with no certificate but the 2 year colleges not anymore.

That is because Palo Alto didn't want to deal with the extra burden (perhaps rightfully so) that comes with being funded by VA. I am in a 2 year program right now and private is covered, the deal is that the instructors must also be employees of the university as well in order for it to be funded, which means a lot of extra paperwork. I still go to a stand alone flight school but now my instructor is paid direct by the university instead of from the flight school. Most of the flight schools and universities didn't want to deal with it so they opted out, but there are still some out there (like the one I'm in). Essentially the VA is trying to force schools to have their own in house flight school (planes, instructors, etc) instead of farming that part out.

If anyone has further questions about it let me know, I'm pretty well versed in the subject (I actually met with Congressmen Wenstrup on the hill to discuss my concern with many of the changes being proposed to VA flight training)

Last edited:
I was pretty sure American Flyers was not going to fold in the 10 days I was there. It was rather annoying though to find out they needed payment up front. I was able to provide but some might not have been able to.

As far as being illegal it must not have been. I called the VA and talked with them about it at that time. Apparently it happens more often than not. The VA paid me with no questions asked.

Did you go to the American Flyers in Houston? At David Wayne Hooks Airport? I start on Friday. I'm going to do my first couple lessons under part 61 in my plane to feel out the school. If I like it I'm going to switch to part 141 and attempt a quick program. How did you like the 10 day? Did you do the written test before you started? I plan to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Erik

Did you go to the American Flyers in Houston? At David Wayne Hooks Airport? I start on Friday. I'm going to do my first couple lessons under part 61 in my plane to feel out the school. If I like it I'm going to switch to part 141 and attempt a quick program. How did you like the 10 day? Did you do the written test before you started? I plan to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Erik

I did mine in Addison. To complete the 10 day IFR course I was told to have my written out of the way before I started...So I did. I traveled to Addison and did it to get away from my daily life. It was the roughest 10 days of my life as well! At day 3 I was wondering what in the heck I was doing and contemplated dropping out. However day 5 it started to click and all was right with the world. It was hard but if I can do it anybody can. Just know going in your going to get ALOT of information crammed in your face in short order.

Days where long, we did academics and sims from 8 to noon, break for lunch, 1 to 5 we flew and debriefed. Then I had about 3 hours of homework to do every night. But after 10 days it was over, don't go back to work on day 11, just relax. Not going to lie it was hard for me but worth every ounce of effort that was demanded of me. After I was finished and got back home I went out a few times with my Local CFI to concrete everything in.

I used my post 9/11 bill as well. So be prepared to be able to pay up front the cost of training. The VA will pay you back once you pass. Good luck, its really not all that bad as long as you know you want it. Good luck!

I did mine in Addison. To complete the 10 day IFR course I was told to have my written out of the way before I started...So I did. I traveled to Addison and did it to get away from my daily life. It was the roughest 10 days of my life as well! At day 3 I was wondering what in the heck I was doing and contemplated dropping out. However day 5 it started to click and all was right with the world. It was hard but if I can do it anybody can. Just know going in your going to get ALOT of information crammed in your face in short order.

Days where long, we did academics and sims from 8 to noon, break for lunch, 1 to 5 we flew and debriefed. Then I had about 3 hours of homework to do every night. But after 10 days it was over, don't go back to work on day 11, just relax. Not going to lie it was hard for me but worth every ounce of effort that was demanded of me. After I was finished and got back home I went out a few times with my Local CFI to concrete everything in.

I used my post 9/11 bill as well. So be prepared to be able to pay up front the cost of training. The VA will pay you back once you pass. Good luck, its really not all that bad as long as you know you want it. Good luck!

Back