[g]Holy gun valuation, Batman![g]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
IMG_3100.JPG

So I have a couple Colt's floating around, a MK IV Series '70 and also a Series '80. Colt doesn't make M1911 pattern pistols anymore. These things are going for like a grand on the gun sale sites! Not that I particularly want to sell either one of them. I just find it kind of interesting.

The photo is low light (bad) so it looks rusted but it isn't, it's fairly pristine. I even still have the original wooden grips. I dunno, I've looked at some of the knock-offs, but it's hard to beat the fit and finish of the Colt. I'm overdue for a trip to the range. Maybe I'll hit it at lunch time this week.

Here I thought this was going to be about the civil war rifle that's going up for auction and is expected to bring over a million. Hadn't heard if that auction happened yet.

My neighbor back in high school was a Marine colonel. His hobby was restoring Civil War era rifles. Petty cool stuff to see what he'd start with and what he'd end up with. Most ended up on display in museums, not worth a lot to collectors because most every one he restored was basically a collection of parts since he usually started with rusted hulks.

A great many people love the Colts. One can get into endless debates about the series 70 vs 80 and additional internal "safeties" added over the years, online, but the Colts always go bang.

Not a fan of the Pachmyer grips, but whatever works for you.

glock_colt.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

It's amazing what some go for, there are some sweet deals to be found too.

A few months ago I snagged a pre 64' Winchester 1894 carbine for $300 bucks at a general auction, see those breaking a grand all day long too on gunbroker and the like. I'll be putting a nice tang sight on it and using it for deer and general plinking, but nice to know you got a couple bucks in your firearm piggy bank :)

Colt still produces a 1911 pistol, several in fact. One is now called the "Colt Series 70" and is basically the same gun as the government model 70 pistol. Prices go from $899 to $1299 from Colt so $1000 is pretty much a new price.

Now, if you want to talk about a historic gun, say a WWII 1911 pistol then you're talking about the value of the history and the collectibility of the gun.

My dad bought a 1964 National Match through the CMP. There were only 150 made available; the rest were recycled through the armory depot. But, as an active duty officer, I believe he had a special opportunity to buy before the public. We only found out after he gave it to me that the '64 was particularly collectible. It would be pristine, except he loaned it to my uncle (his brother-in-law) and it wound up sitting in a closet in a leather holster for a few years. Its still a sweet shooter. But, nowhere near worth what it would be if it were in better shape. I have that one and a Kimber Stainless II that I bought from some guy who was cussing it, and all Kimbers as what he called "jam-o-matics" . I think it was the shooter and not the gun, as I've never had a problem with it.

Last edited:
mine

Attachments

• 1911A1 kit.jpg
    1911A1 kit.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 47
I used to buy a new gun about once a year.

Then I started flying. I really would like to add a 1911 to my collection.

That is beautiful!!

Meh, kinda fugly IMO. I like a tad less gratuitous engraving on my guns. Like none. But different strokes and all.

I love 1911's however if a gunfight (with a pistol that is) breaks out, I'm leading with the G-lock.

Colt still produces a 1911 pistol, several in fact. One is now called the "Colt Series 70" and is basically the same gun as the government model 70 pistol. Prices go from $899 to $1299 from Colt so $1000 is pretty much a new price.

Now, if you want to talk about a historic gun, say a WWII 1911 pistol then you're talking about the value of the history and the collectibility of the gun.

Did they stop at one point? I see now that they are making them, but the last time I checked their website (probably more than two years ago) I couldn't find any mention of handguns.

The issue M1911's I've had (M60 gunners got a .45) were old beaters made by Union Switch and Signal. They likely dated back to WWII.

Meh, kinda fugly IMO. I like a tad less gratuitous engraving on my guns. Like none. But different strokes and all.

I love 1911's however if a gunfight (with a pistol that is) breaks out, I'm leading with the G-lock.

I used to shoot IPSC matches with a pair of S&W Model 39's. The 639 is what I keep at the ready for defense. I've never had a stovepipe with a Smith. I like Glocks but I prefer DA/SA myself.

I used to shoot IPSC matches with a pair of S&W Model 39's. The 639 is what I keep at the ready for defense. I've never had a stovepipe with a Smith. I like Glocks but I prefer DA/SA myself.
I've never stovepiped my Glock, but one of my friends would constantly do it when shooting my Glock. I think he was just not holding the gun firmly enough. I've only got a few thousand rounds through mine, but so far no issues while I'm shooting it.

Got a infinity .40 2011 a few years ago, since moving I haven't much of a chance to compete with it.

Love my Series 70 Colt. I need to get it out and take to boys to the range and let them send a few rounds down range out of it.

Did someone say DA/SA? ;)

642cf8eae00bf05cddd11a2fd71326aa.jpg

Yes, yes, yes I've been Jonesing to get a P226. In particular one of those Nitron finished SS frame deals. One of these days....

All three Sigs I have are sweethearts to shoot. You won't be disappointed.

Sorry 1911 fans, my two are safe queens. I shoot the Sigs better.

My ex-wife thought I was crazy when I paid 2k for a class 3 registered MP-5 back in the 90's. Anybody want to take a guess at what it could fetch now ?

All three Sigs I have are sweethearts to shoot. You won't be disappointed.

Sorry 1911 fans, my two are safe queens. I shoot the Sigs better.

You're just not shooting the right kind of 1911s, you should give a 2011 a shot, it's a double stack more performance version of a 1911

image.jpg

My ex-wife thought I was crazy when I paid 2k for a class 3 registered MP-5 back in the 90's. Anybody want to take a guess at what it could fetch now ?

Full up MP5s or can you move the trigger pack to something else if you wanted to? Either way, north of 30K, each, would be probably a decent price considering the times.

I'm at the point now where I'm going to need to buy another storage container. I have 2 of those cheap Stack-On "safes" (they aren't a safe, just a storage method for me). One is an 8 gun unit that's full, one is a 12 gun unit that I've got full with probably 8 larger/scoped rifles. Then I have an 8 gun rack that's full, need more storage space for long guns. And that doesn't include any handgun storage.

Back to the 1911 theme, the only one I have is a little 22 1911 that's fun for plinking or teaching a new shooter. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Michigan handgun registration scheme, so I try to buy more long guns than handguns at this point.

The issue M1911's I've had (M60 gunners got a .45) were old beaters made by Union Switch and Signal. They likely dated back to WWII.

My M1911A1 as a Battery Commander in Germany in 1991 was WWII production. It was loose as hell and rattled when shaken. Still, it shot well and I qualified expert with it. Before I left for CONUS, we got M9s. I didn't seem to shoot it as well.

I have two 1911. One is genuine WWII Remington Rand production. The other is new Auto Ordnance (mid-90s). Also have several other handguns. Love my early CZ-85 for shooting enjoyment. Like my Glock too. I like most my weapons.

Last edited:
My M1911A1 as a Battery Commander in Germany in 1991 was WWII production. It was loose as hell and Attlee when shaken. Still, it shot well and I qualified expert with it. Before I left for CONUS, we got M9s. I didn't seem to shoot it as well.

I have two 1911. One is genuine WWII Remington Rand production. The other is new Auto Ordnance (mid-90s). Also have several other handguns. Love my early CZ-85 for shooting enjoyment. Like my Glock too. I like most my weapons.

I think almost all of the M1911's in service until they were replaced by the M9 were WWII production, as they made so many of them during the war. But yes, despite their looseness and shakiness, they were surprisingly accurate. Mine was anyway.

The tankers in the late '80's still used M3 grease guns. We used to laugh at them. They were the crappiest made SMG's I've ever seen. I'm fairly certain those were not produced past WWII. The fit and finish resembled that of a discarded 1930's vintage automotive muffler.

The tankers in the late '80's still used M3 grease guns. We used to laugh at them. They were the crappiest made SMG's I've ever seen. I'm fairly certain those were not produced past WWII. The fit and finish resembled that of a discarded 1930's vintage automotive muffler.

There was a small batch made during Korea, from a quick cursory glance online, but that doesn't make them a whole lot newer. Always wanted to shoot one of those.

We still had M3A1 Grease Guns in our battalion in 90-93. Our Bn Maint VTR crews had them.

Grease guns were spray and pray...though the spray was pretty slow so you needed to pray fast. :D

I have an Army issued Colt 1911 that was manufactured in 1917. The Army parkerized it after WWI, and reissued it for WWII so it's not worth the big money, but it's priceless to me (was my grandfather's). My plan is to get a Colt 1911 Govt. model next year and have 100 years of Colt between them.

I have an Army issued Colt 1911 that was manufactured in 1917. The Army parkerized it after WWI, and reissued it for WWII so it's not worth the big money, but it's priceless to me (was my grandfather's). My plan is to get a Colt 1911 Govt. model next year and have 100 years of Colt between them.

Does it still have the flat mainspring housing or the curved one from an M1911A1? Just being a straight M1911 makes it pretty rare.

This space intentional left blank.

Does it still have the flat mainspring housing or the curved one from an M1911A1? Just being a straight M1911 makes it pretty rare.
/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's straight, but I'm curious now. Will be checking tonight.

Last edited:
"This space intentional left blank."

I've met some people who should have that tattooed on their forehead. :rolleyes:

I have a WWII Colt 1911 sent to England on lend lease. It was stamped in by the royal armory and later stamped out and returned. It has proof stamps all the heck over it. I bought it roughly 25 years ago. It was worked over for shooting Practical Pistol and Bulls Eye by a national champion gunsmith. The gun is vastly better than I am as a shot. No rust but definitely handled and shot, not a closet queen. I'm no judge but I would call the finish 90% or a bit better. Parkerized, not blue.
I have an old fella bugging me to buy it and I do not have a clue as to what the market value is.

Back