Furthest FM radio station you've heard...

jfrye01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jacob Frye
Just a random, silly question, but I'm curious;) ...I was driving home from work tonight, and I was able to listen to 92.9 the Eagle out of Lincoln, Nebraska...loud and clear. Very strange. Lincoln is a good 200 miles north...I can almost always pick up 106.9 K-Hits from Tulsa, about 150 miles away...Anyway, what is the furthest FM station YOU'VE heard?

on humid mornings i used to occasionally pick up kansas city from estherville, ia. about 250 nautical miles.

on humid mornings i used to occasionally pick up kansas city from estherville, ia. about 250 nautical miles.

FM is largely line of sight, so get some altitude above surrounding terrain -- such as on a high mountain peak overlooking much lower terrain -- and you'll get very distant stations. At least until they start interfering with each other. The constraints are similar to aviation VHF as the wavelengths are only slightly longer.

AM and especially longer wavelengths are affected by magnetic fields and can get thousands of miles of range, especially at night and preferentially north/south.

Sporadic E layer propagation and Tropospheric ducting are common at low VHF. I've easily worked Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc... with 100W into a yagi with a very modest gain figure. Less common are trans-equatorial and auroral forms of propagation.

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=144&ML=M&Map=W2LN&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Those guys plot Amateur contacts in near real time for various bands. Catch it sometime when it's covered with lines, and see what you can hear on FM broadcast.

FM is largely line of sight, .
FM is a type of modulation and is not a primary decider of propagation modes. That would be more related to the frequency band it is operating on. FWIW the FM Broadcast band in the US us VHF (87-108MHz) so acts a lot like any other VHF band and is mostly line of of sight. The aviation band uses AM as the modulation and is in a band just above the US Broadcast band and has basically the same propagation limitations.

I saw this because I have heard FM from many miles away on lower bands. But I know that the OP really meant FM Broadcast band transmissions.

Now with FM you tend to have a capture effect. That is a FM RX will lock onto the strongest signal where AM does not do that. That is why in the airband you get the squeals (hetrodynes) when you hear two signals but in the broadcast FM band you usually only hear one station or the other.

Sporadic E layer propagation and Tropospheric ducting are common at low VHF. I've easily worked Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc... with 100W into a yagi with a very modest gain figure. Less common are trans-equatorial and auroral forms of propagation.

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=144&ML=M&Map=W2LN&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Those guys plot Amateur contacts in near real time for various bands. Catch it sometime when it's covered with lines, and see what you can hear on FM broadcast.
I made a contact in the LA area using WSJT on meteor scatter propagation mode at 144MHz using 12.5 Watts into a 14-element Yagi from Chicago.

Meteor scatter is really fun, bouncing signals off of ionized meteors entering the atmosphere is a hoot!

Did some aurora work across the plains too. VHF can be fun and challenging!!

Funny things of VHF propagation at time. Tropospheric ducting etc....

I made a contact in the LA area using WSJT on meteor scatter propagation mode at 144MHz using 12.5 Watts into a 14-element Yagi from Chicago.

I used to use meteor scatter and commercial FM to do meteor shower counts from Calgary, I could grab a station out of Saskatoon that would fade in and out on each meteor.

I used to "DX" FM broadcast when I was in high school, and got a fair quantum of stations from Dallas with my mediocre Concord receiver (though I loved it, because it was mine, and had 25 watts per channel!).

Nothing really mind-numbing, but I got some minutes of good stereo FM from a station in Oklahoma City. Most surprising for me was, in my car, receiving KLOL (Houston) loud and clear from over 240 miles away. Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" - loved the horns!

---

Also, used to try for TV DX, moist days led to some remarkable results. No more analog TV.

When my brother and I were kids, we used to occasionally listen KMOX out of St Louis from home. My father said it had to atmospheric skip, or something like that.

I'm assuming tropo ducting, but I've had a Vancouver BC FM broadcast station capture my receiver when I was trying to listen to a Seattle station on the same frequency. And I live in Olympia. Capture effect can result in some surprising results now and then.

I'm in Atlanta, and for a while there I could pick up a Toronto station in certain parts of the north Metro area. It was very localized, near my house I could pick it up on any radio, while near my office, which is about 13 miles away, I got a South Carolina station instead.

One of my coworkers tried it on his car radio as well and got exactly the same results.

I'd really like to get into DX'ing, but at this point, one expensive hobby is enough :)

Meteor scatter is really fun, bouncing signals off of ionized meteors entering the atmosphere is a hoot!

Did some aurora work across the plains too. VHF can be fun and challenging!!

I want to play, and have a neighbor willing to show the ropes on WSJT, just no time to do it. Ham shack hasn't had a radio turned on more than once this year. Sigh.

Which is why I put the tower project on hold.

I do need a small tower up soon for TV and Internet (local Motorola Canopy provider put in new 5 GHz stuff a few miles south and I'm pointed at the tower to the West, so I can go from 5/1 to 15/3 broadband if I can clear the low ridge to the south), but I think that'll just be three or four sticks of Rohn 45 buried against the house in concrete with a house bracket.

The "real" tower needs to be at least 60', and 80' would be nice but our winds here would make maintenance a hassle. The same neighbor's 60'er had his HF beam spun 30 degrees off from his VHF/UHF stack on top and he's constantly climbing up there to fix that. (He needs to drive a pin through it if you ask me, but since his tower folks over at the 30' level, he's waiting for a good day to release two guy wires and crank it down to work on the stack. And a hole for a pin could weaken his mast...)

I want to play, and have a neighbor willing to show the ropes on WSJT, just no time to do it. Ham shack hasn't had a radio turned on more than once this year. Sigh.

Which is why I put the tower project on hold.

I do need a small tower up soon for TV and Internet (local Motorola Canopy provider put in new 5 GHz stuff a few miles south and I'm pointed at the tower to the West, so I can go from 5/1 to 15/3 broadband if I can clear the low ridge to the south), but I think that'll just be three or four sticks of Rohn 45 buried against the house in concrete with a house bracket.

The "real" tower needs to be at least 60', and 80' would be nice but our winds here would make maintenance a hassle. The same neighbor's 60'er had his HF beam spun 30 degrees off from his VHF/UHF stack on top and he's constantly climbing up there to fix that. (He needs to drive a pin through it if you ask me, but since his tower folks over at the 30' level, he's waiting for a good day to release two guy wires and crank it down to work on the stack. And a hole for a pin could weaken his mast...)
Rohn 25 would suffice for that.

I have three pieces including a bottom, middle and top, the house bracket and the base. I will let you have it! Just come and pick it up. I no longer need it and want it out of my garage.

Rohn 25 would suffice for that.

I have three pieces including a bottom, middle and top, the house bracket and the base. I will let you have it! Just come and pick it up. I no longer need it and want it out of my garage.

Heh. Appreciate the offer. I have offers of Rohn 45 locally too. Just no time to mess with it. Finally have property big enough for tower(s) and no time to operate. Such is life.

On a trip from Florida to NC...see stayed tuned into WDIZ out of Orlando into Lumberton NC..

AM and especially longer wavelengths are affected by magnetic fields and can get thousands of miles of range, especially at night and preferentially north/south.

I haven't had much luck pulling far away FM stations, but MAKG is sure correct about AM---I used to get lucky and pick up KFI AM640 broadcast of Phil Hendrie in LA when I lived in Logan UT....a 770 mile difference.

In my car, I average about 70 or so miles before I start to lose the signal.

My record, however, is 1000 miles! :yes:

Oh forgot to add that it was via a string of FM repeater sites.... :rofl:

I haven't had much luck pulling far away FM stations, but MAKG is sure correct about AM---I used to get lucky and pick up KFI AM640 broadcast of Phil Hendrie in LA when I lived in Logan UT....a 770 mile difference.

Nothing lucky about it. KFI is a Class A, formerly known as a "clear channel", protected station serving up 50,000 watts on a channel protected for thousands of miles from any other station being licensed on their frequency.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station

(Not to be confused with Clear Channel Communications, Inc., the company that owns many of them.)

They're *supposed* to be heard many states away, by engineering and licensing design. The history of the clear channel stations in AM broadcast was that they could receive each other from one coast to the other, this allowing for a network of stations that could pass news, time synchronization, etc...all the way across the Continental U.S. without need for land-based links.

Our local clear channel is KOA at 850 KHz. Their claim that they're heard in 38 states, Canada, and Mexico at night, is legitimate. Not that they have any night programming since Rick Barber retired. He passed away last year from complications due to ALS.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23562669/rick-barber-overnight-denver-radio-fixture-30-years

Clear Channel Communications downsized Rick in 2012 to replace him with Coast to Coast AM with George Noore, who has never been an adequate replacement for Art Bell.

In my car, I average about 70 or so miles before I start to lose the signal.

My record, however, is 1000 miles! :yes:

Oh forgot to add that it was via a string of FM repeater sites.... :rofl:

Heh. Out here that kind of distance only takes three linked repeater sites. :)

Multiple clubs have been joining together with the encouragement and original build-out of one particular club here, to build a very large scale microwave data backbone. Many of the pesky analog FM links are being dumped for a shared IP backbone that already stretches from Wyoming to
nearly New Mexico along the eastern slope of the Rockies, and is making headway pushing west into the rocks.

Lead engineering on that system started at Rocky Mtn Ham Radio (www.rmham.org) who operates it as their backbone for a massive DMR digital radio system, as well as extending DMR-MARC, and the Colorado Connection (www.colcon.org) and Colorado Repeater Assn (www.w0cra.org) are now assisting with sites, personnel, and general good-will to extend the backbone and ride along for some of both system's audio links via VoIP, which removes some really tough analog shots that barely made it to hub linking repeaters.

Still plenty of analog links, but they're on their way out.

Our local clear channel is KOA at 850 KHz. Their claim that they're heard in 38 states, Canada, and Mexico at night, is legitimate.

I can confirm the Canadian reception of KOA. Used to listen to KOA all the time during harvest...sitting in the truck waiting for the hopper to fill on the combine at 2am, listening to KOA and KSL out of Salt Lake City up in Saskatchewan.

Clear Channel Communications downsized Rick in 2012 to replace him with Coast to Coast AM with George Noore, who has never been an adequate replacement for Art Bell.

Amen to that. Fun listening to the tin foil hat brigade. :D

I can confirm the Canadian reception of KOA. Used to listen to KOA all the time during harvest...sitting in the truck waiting for the hopper to fill on the combine at 2am, listening to KOA and KSL out of Salt Lake City up in Saskatchewan.

And then there's KGO in San Francisco. 50,000 Watts into a broadside array blasting their signal up and down the west coast.

2 meters was open to Europe from here this weekend. I didn't see if the MUF made it low enough to hunt long range FM broadcast. Probably did.

Back