Furniture help request

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I have an extra seat from a C172 along with an extra pair of rails. My shop has a handful of chairs, none of them match. I'd like to add the 172 seat, thinking of keeping it on the rails, somehow build a platform or weld metal on the base, attach wheels. I can come up with a junkyard looking solution but prefer something nicer.

What and how would you do this?

Find a good metal fabrication shop in your area that will do exactly what you want.

Find a good metal fabrication shop in your area that will do exactly what you want.

Find a good metal fabrication shop certified mechanic in your area that will do exactly what you want.

Find a good metal fabrication shop certified mechanic in your area that will do exactly what you want.
Unless I misunderstood OPs post, that would be a bit overkill for a piece of shop furniture..

I have an extra seat from a C172 along with an extra pair of rails. My shop has a handful of chairs, none of them match. I'd like to add the 172 seat, thinking of keeping it on the rails, somehow build a platform or weld metal on the base, attach wheels. I can come up with a junkyard looking solution but prefer something nicer.

What and how would you do this?
just about any AP that maintains a couple of cessnas should be able to find a red tagged set of rails for you to use, there are plenty of them red tagged.

just about any AP that maintains a couple of cessnas should be able to find a red tagged set of rails for you to use, there are plenty of them red tagged.

I HAVE THE RAILS

my main issue is design, even if I went to a fabricator/welder

The answer is, as always, to get a Bonanaza.

What’s the use case for the chair? Sitting and drinking a coffee, working at a desk over a maintenance manual or weather report, or something else? I would probably keep it simple and just mount the rails on a simple pair of crossbars with leveling pads or casters.

No case other than to sit in. Might keep it in my SIM room should anyone visit.

Unless I misunderstood OPs post, that would be a bit overkill for a piece of shop furniture..
Looks like I misunderstood, although I'm not sure why you might take a potentially serviceable piece of equipment to make a shop chair.

But with that in mind I'd probably just make a simple dolly with a non-destructive clamp system to hold the chair on it.

Looks like I misunderstood, although I'm not sure why you might take a potentially serviceable piece of equipment to make a shop chair.

But with that in mind I'd probably just make a simple dolly with a non-destructive clamp system to hold the chair on it.

I'm changing my first officers seat to fully articulating, will have the non articulating available.

My ears are burning.

This is easy peasy. C-channel base. Locking casters under. Some supports for the seat rails. Maybe some rice bar aluminum tread in between seat rails.

A 172 seat?
Why not just find an old church pew, about as comfortable.

Visit an airplane junkyard and cut the cockpit floor out of a wrecked 172, attach legs and feet to it.

Back