Funny/Sad Mooney Tiktok

Gear down but not locked?

saw that today as well. couldn't tell if it was staged or not

Well I guess the owner did sell the airplane. Just that it was to the insurance company instead of the prospective buyer.

saw that today as well. couldn't tell if it was staged or not
It does look staged (I mean the backstory, not the gear up landing. Or hopefully not that.)
I don't currently have a plane, but I do remember it was a "thing" back in the day to exclude any movement for sale of a motor vehicle from the insurance (so if you drove your car to show someone and crashed, or they crashed test-driving, it wasn't covered). But maybe that's 'cuz I was high risk at the time (18 with a 327 Camaro.) Probably not a thing in the airplane industry.

Reaching for the flaps?
Oh, man, I hope that was a mechanical failure. I sure hope it wasn't due to reaching for flaps. In the early model Mooneys at least, the flaps are near the throttle/mixture/prop, and in most electric gear Mooneys the gear handle is on the other side and usually toward the top of the panel. It could still happen I suppose.

And on a paved runway that looks to be plenty long enough, just don't touch the flaps until clear.

Something looks fishy.

When the alleged buyer is talking, there are no trees to be seen.

When the plane is landing, lots and lots of trees.

The alleged selfie at the end, lots and lots of trees.

Gear down but not locked?
Wasn't even down. The first frame you see the plane, all three gear are only partially out. As it continues they are retracting before it even touches down. I can't imagine this as an inadvertant flap/gear mixup as you'd not be raising the flaps at that point in the landing either.

Wasn't even down. The first frame you see the plane, all three gear are only partially out. As it continues they are retracting before it even touches down. I can't imagine this as an inadvertant flap/gear mixup as you'd not be raising the flaps at that point in the landing either.
Could be a Johnson bar down but not locked, then popped out without the pilot noticing. That’s exactly what it looks like when the bar is floating and you’re not holding onto it.

Could be a Johnson bar down but not locked, then popped out without the pilot noticing. That’s exactly what it looks like when the bar is floating and you’re not holding onto it.
Possible, but you'd think you'd notice it. Especially when it came out of the panel on the partial retract, but the pilot may have frozen at that point.

N7767M is registered as a 1974 M20F. Did mid-bodies still have Johnson bars by then?

YouTube post from same guy.
Wow, that's really unfortunate. The panel in that plane was worth about as much as the plane was, too.

If you're having gear troubles, and you're flying it to a Mooney service center anyway, why not just leave the gear down and slowly fly the 50 nm there?

Wow, that's really unfortunate. The panel in that plane was worth about as much as the plane was, too.

If you're having gear troubles, and you're flying it to a Mooney service center anyway, why not just leave the gear down and slowly fly the 50 nm there?
According to the video, they flew with the gear down. He also said he pulled the breaker.

According to the video, they flew with the gear down. He also said he pulled the breaker.
Yeah, something doesn't make sense. Probably just missing part of the story.

They had previously flown it with the gear down the day before. And you have to pull the breaker to hand crank the gear, which he said he tried to do. So it sounds like he either put the gear up for that flight, or somehow it unlocked during that flight--which would be very odd.

Yeah, something doesn't make sense. Probably just missing part of the story.

They had previously flown it with the gear down the day before. And you have to pull the breaker to hand crank the gear, which he said he tried to do. So it sounds like he either put the gear up for that flight, or somehow it unlocked during that flight--which would be very odd.
Not that odd if the gear is not rigged correctly. You have to check the low and high torque with a bespoke tool.

001.jpg

Back