Funny Basic Med Story

A_Valkyrie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
A_Valkyrie
I went got my Basic Med exam done today at a clinic that does DOT physicals and pre-employment screenings. Everything went well, I had emailed back and forth with the head doctor about what was required of them. Anyway, I am in the exam room and one doctor is filling out the exam in the hallway and the head doctor is chatting with me about flying, basic med, and how the whole experience was. Then the door opened up. The conversation between them is as follows:
"What about this box right here?"
"What about it?"
"I didn't check it, can I just put N/A or something? Leave it blank?"
"You can't do that, these guys [FAA] are real strict about that. It needs to be examined I guess"
"For what?"
"I don't know" he shrugs and looks at me, "to make sure you have one?"

So yes, I had to bend over and pull down my pants. He just looked and said thats good enough. The box was checked and my exam was complete :)

I was like 16 when I first got a medical. The exam goes great until the very end where he told me to remove my pants. I froze. I had never had to turn and cough in my life.

Needless to say it was hard to find any air whatsoever. Told my dad afterward and he laughed his ass off.

Doc: Ok, turn your head and cough.

Me: Wheeze, wheeze....

Doc: No, cough, like this.... COUGH COUGH....

Me: WHEEZE, wheeze....

Doc; No, I need a good cough.

Me: Ease up a little so I can cough.....

Had the same conversation with my doc:

"What am I supposed to do? Look at your butthole? Ok. I looked. Check"

I was going to stick to 3rd class but after reading this story I'm starting to reconsider in favor of BasicMed.

I was going to stick to 3rd class but after reading this story I'm starting to reconsider in favor of BasicMed.

It was a little difficult for me because I don't really have a PCP that I see regularly. I went on the DOT website and found all the examiners in my area that do DOT physicals. Make sure there is a state-licensed physician that will be present the day of your exam to sign the sheet. On the DOT website you can scroll through and only pick facilities that have doctors.

I reached out to 5 or 6 different facilities about the exam. Almost everybody came back and said they can do the physical but they had never heard of Basic Med. I had a clinic administrator actually reach out to me seeking additional information so they can start implementing Basic Med and advertising that they do it. I only had one facility, a MedExpress, say that cannot do it. When I pressed them they told me they were not equipped to do the physical.

The physical itself is kind of a joke. The checklist has no guidance whatsoever, just a bunch of items with an "examined" box. There isn't even blanks to record any data. I suppose that is the point though...

If you can drive a car to the clinic, walk in under your own power, find the right office, and talk coherently to the doctor, you'll pass the physical.

Dated a girl in high school. Father was a pediatrician. Forgot to get my sports physical for baseball until the last minute. Can your dad sign off on the sports physical? Sure no problem, he says just bring it by. Yep, FULL physical received. Lol. And he became my future ex-father-in-law.

Dated a girl in high school. Father was a pediatrician. Forgot to get my sports physical for baseball until the last minute. Can your dad sign off on the sports physical? Sure no problem, he says just bring it by. Yep, FULL physical received. Lol. And he became my future ex-father-in-law.

So, whose hands were softer, her or her dads..??

Wait wait wait...., skip the answer... I don't really want to know....:lol::lol:

Back