Funnel?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
Prob stupid question, but having to jump between multiple rental planes, it always seems like a funnel is nowhere to be found when you need one. Or if you ask a line guy at w/e random airport they always pull out some rusty or dirty funnel ugh (maybe its just me?). Are there any tricks of the trade for funnels, or a collapsible one that's good? Am I too bored today to be worried about this stuff?

Once had a CFI twirl up some paper into a funnel shape, tried doing it once and the results were not good. Wrong kind of paper maybe. Also tried doing the straight to the filler neck maneuver...also not good.

If they dont have a funnel and oil is included, just do your best to get most of the bottle into the engine. The rest can be considered corrosion protection. Are you sure the oil box doesnt have a bunch of those extender necks inside?

Take a empty quart of oil, or Pepsi bottle, cut it in half with your pocket knife and bobs your uncle

1-Cut-Water-Bottle.jpg

The plane I uses to rent not only had a funnel but also had a pee container..i just could not imagine renters would use that!

Find an empty oil jug in the trash and cut it all the way around in the middle. Make shift funnel. Otherwise make what you can in the filler and the rest is anti corrosion control program. Haha

Sounds like an operator issue.

My experience is different. When I've rented and was in a club there was ALWAYS extra oil and a funnel available either in baggage or in the gang box for the planes tied down outside. Just like having proper towels and 'cleaning juice' for the leading edges and windscreen.

I would offer the suggestion to the operator that they assure these items. It will improve the experience for all involved.

If they dont have a funnel and oil is included, just do your best to get most of the bottle into the engine. The rest can be considered corrosion protection. Are you sure the oil box doesnt have a bunch of those extender necks inside?

Good question...I'll have to check again, would be the easiest solution.

Take a empty quart of oil, or Pepsi bottle, cut it in half with your pocket knife and bobs your uncle

1-Cut-Water-Bottle.jpg

Not a bad idea at all, thanks for the suggestion. Only problem would be fitting it in my flight bag. One that goes flat might fit better, I'll have to see.

This is great too, thanks!

Good question...I'll have to check again, would be the easiest solution.

Not a bad idea at all, thanks for the suggestion. Only problem would be fitting it in my flight bag. One that goes flat might fit better, I'll have to see.

This is great too, thanks!

I never brought one with me, most places I’d land I could find a vending machine or empty bottle or etc.

I do carry the short one that comes when you buy a case of XC oil, but between my (knock on wood) very low oil burn and luck at mcgyvering bottles I find or get at airports, or drinks I or my pax bring, it’s worked great for me. Personally I don’t like having to clean a funnel before I put it back in the plane.

Someone showed me a trick once using fluid properties and the dipstick to fill the oil without needing a funnel and not spilling any. It's a cool party trick I've shown a few local pilots

Someone showed me a trick once using fluid properties and the dipstick to fill the oil without needing a funnel and not spilling any. It's a cool party trick I've shown a few local pilots
Sounds like much patience is involved. How long does it take to dispense a quart?

Sounds like much patience is involved. How long does it take to dispense a quart?
Not as long as you would think, once the flow "adheres" you can be more aggressive.. I've used narrow funnels that took quite a while too because the hole was either small, or it was a beater rental that sat out all night in February so the oil had the consistency of maple syrup

Funnel is obviously best. But, if you have no options you are not doomed to pouring half a quart of "corrosion preventer" on the engine

I have a bunch of the blue extenders that come with every case of Philips XC. You should be able to find someone that has one. Just put it in a plastic bag or a plastic jar with a wide mouth.

Key word there, "rental". Get as much in the tube as you can, that way you know the oil going in is clean.

PS, never had much trouble getting it in without much dripping. Rotate, don't tip.

Roll your own using a sheet of paper. I have also carefully poured the oil down the dipstick until I could pour the rest of the oil straight out of the bottle

$7 at a popular Pilot store. Twist to shut off/turn on flow, screws to the top of the quart. Small enough to keep in a ziplock bag.

3186MB87YTL.jpg

Please don’t take this as an insult, but make sure you’re tilting the bottle with the spout offset on the top of the pour. You can also do the dipstick trick and pull the dipstick away once the pour gets going far enough. I’ve corrosion proofed a lot of engine tops...

This! Just pull the dipstick up, leaving the bottom in the filler neck, and pour the oil down the stick. Works great unless you have 20+ knot winds...

You can go as fast as you can pour with an air gap in the bottle neck (ie, don't let it go "glug glug glug", you need a smooth pour). So, it really doesn't take any longer to do it this way. And once the bottle is about half empty you can usually tip it into the filler neck without spilling anything.

A pour spout comes with every case of Phillips 66 XC. Find one at an FBO, wrap it in a paper towel, place it in a sandwich bag and keep it in your flight bag. It fits Aeroshell also.

Price: Free

FAB73A84-B69E-4840-83BF-6DF02296A051.jpeg

Just added a quart in an Archer. Put thumb over top of oil, put top over fill tube, release thumb. Definitely worked well enough for a rental. Oh, clean thumb.

Back