Fun, unusual, or unexpected oral exam questions

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Just wondering what kind of questions people have been getting on their oral exams. Not the ones that are in every book, or exam course, but rather the unexpected, unusual, or fun ones that you have either gotten or heard about. Please post, if you feel like giving the answer great, or turn it into a game and see what we get.

Here's a piece of paper, write down every electric motor you can think of in a 172R while I go get a cup of coffee.

Type Rating, Light Jet. Tell me how many rivets there are on the left wing...

An early question in the oral of my instrument check ride:

He: explain to me how air moves between high and low pressure systems.

Me: in plan view or elevation?

He: huh?

Me: in the horizontal or vertical plane?

He: It doesn't matter, the answer is the same.

Me (my internal voice...hopefully): wow, this is going to be interesting.

It was.

Type Rating, Light Jet. Tell me how many rivets there are on the left wing...

Ha....

When the DAR inspected my experimental he did ask me how many rivets I installed......

I said ALL 14,210 of them.........:yes:...;)

Scenario: Multi engine commercial oral. ( I did all my checkrides from pvt to multi and single comm with this examiner, I was very comfortable around him)

Examiner: Ok, we have covered everything, just one last question. Tell me what you would do if you are flying at night, in IMC, one engine out, picking up moderate icing, the A/S falls below blue line, and you stall and the plane starts to descend in a spin?

Me: Well, about that time I would call my brother Roy.

Examiner: Call your brother Roy, what for?

Me: Because my brother Roy ain't never seen an airplane crash like the one we are going to have.

Haa, funny.

Ill let you know if I get any good ones tomorrow...

Walking around the 172 during preflight he asks "Think that wire cable there is strong enough to hold up the tail?"

What's this?
"Twin Peaks"? That's the name of a new breastaurant near here.

--

After my final landing, my PP DPE kept asking me questions about the plane that had just landed as I was trying to switch freq to ground and do a couple other things at the same time.

Last edited:
If a windmilling prop is the highest drag item on a engine failure, why is it the last thing addressed when dealing with OEI scenarios ?

Shirley you are kidding...:dunno::rolleyes:.......:D

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley...

This plane has 4 engines, its an entirely different kind of flying...altogether...

Haha! That's a good one. I couldn't figure it out until I pulled up the sectional: SIERRA NEVADA

I had mine pull a similar one.

Pointed at this grey circle on the sectional in Snowbird MOA. I leaned in close and he asked what it was...

I looked really close, and knew the area (flying out of TYS) and finally gave up...it was one of the "O"s in "SMOKY MOUNTAINS", but I was so zoomed in on that one circle that I didn't see the bigger picture...good lesson about stepping back sometimes.

Hello pilots.
I have mine checkride coming up shortly.
This was interesting to read.

Do you have any tips about a study guide or prep guide that is good to read for the PPL check?

Thank you

Hello pilots.

Do you have any tips about a study guide or prep guide that is good to read for the PPL check?

Thank you

+1 on the PTS. Especially the areas of special emphasis.

I would also find other CFI's familiar with the DPE you are going to use and ask them to conduct some mock oral exams and checkrides. Both will help identify and fill holes, and provide confidence that you can do this.

Hello pilots.

Thank you
+1 for reading the PTS. Relax and answer the examiner's questions with nothing more and nothing less.

I would also find other CFI's familiar with the DPE you are going to use and ask them to conduct some mock oral exams and checkrides. Both will help identify and fill holes, and provide confidence that you can do this.

:yeahthat:

This is a common question that gets asked. Get with someone who knows the examiners style of conducting the test and have them run you through a practice session or two.

As Mike said above, it will help identify areas that you may be weak in...and allow you to go into the exam comfortable with the scenario based "chat" that you will have with the DPE as opposed to the "prep books" that are Q&A...Q&A...Q&A.

I do a good number of these mock exams every year. I usually takes about 10 minutes to determine who will be an easy pass as opposed to those that are going to either need a little polishing. :)

Or maybe a complete overhaul. :hairraise:

The link shows: "Publication Date: July 23, 2012"

Someone else will need to check me on this, but I'm sorta remembering the PTS's got a bit of a significant informational overhaul within the last 18-24 months. So there might be out of date information in that publication.

So be careful in that regard.

My DPE seemed to be working pretty hard to distract me - once or twice in the air, and especially during taxi. I seriously thought about handing him a pencil and asking him to hold it for a second. I figured that would distract HIM for a few minutes. But I didn't...

Instead, I think I just asked him to hold on for a bit because I was busy at the moment. That seemed to be what he really wanted to hear anyway.

My DPE seemed to be working pretty hard to distract me - once or twice in the air, and especially during taxi. I seriously thought about handing him a pencil and asking him to hold it for a second. I figured that would distract HIM for a few minutes. But I didn't...

Instead, I think I just asked him to hold on for a bit because I was busy at the moment. That seemed to be what he really wanted to hear anyway.
Use of Distractions during Practical Tests
Numerous studies indicate that many accidents have occurred when the pilot has been distracted during critical phases of flight. To evaluate the applicant’s ability to utilize proper control technique while dividing attention both inside and/or outside the cockpit, the examiner shall cause realistic distractions during the flight portion of the practical test to evaluate the applicant’s ability to divide attention while maintaining safe flight.

Looks like you handled it well.

Use of Distractions during Practical Tests
Numerous studies indicate that many accidents have occurred when the pilot has been distracted during critical phases of flight. To evaluate the applicant’s ability to utilize proper control technique while dividing attention both inside and/or outside the cockpit, the examiner shall cause realistic distractions during the flight portion of the practical test to evaluate the applicant’s ability to divide attention while maintaining safe flight.

Looks like you handled it well.

My DPE opened my window on short final in a 172 by reaching behind my seat while yawning. :hairraise:

I'd love to hear someone tell the DPE during passenger briefing that the intercom would be on pilot isolate the duration of the ride and that the items on the PTS would be flown in order AFTER initial FP and diversion.:lol:

Here's a piece of paper, write down every electric motor you can think of in a 172R while I go get a cup of coffee.

Hmm. Let's see.

Starter
(does the starter solenoid count, too? It converts electrical energy into mechanical motion, I think)
alternator (sort of, I guess, although it's kind of the opposite as it turns mechanical motion into electrical engergy)
Auxiliary Fuel pump
turn coordinator
clock
hobbs meter

Can't think of anything else. I am sure I missed something, though. (maybe a speaker? I don't know if you would call that a motor or not, although it does turn electrical energy into mechanical motion.)

Last edited:
Hmm. Let's see.

Starter
(does the starter solenoid count, too? It converts electrical energy into mechanical motion, I think)
alternator (sort of, I guess, although it's kind of the opposite as it turns mechanical motion into electrical engergy)
Auxiliary Fuel pump
turn coordinator
clock
hobbs meter

Can't think of anything else. I am sure I missed something, though. (maybe a speaker? I don't know if you would call that a motor or not, although it does turn electrical energy into mechanical motion.)
You missed an important one by at least 10°

And my autopilot actuator(s). Hrumph.

Back