Fun Thread: Themed Arrival/Departure Procedures

ahkahn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
92E
OK, so thinking about this, here are a couple that come to mind. Some need no explanations, but others may.

PIGLT ONE ARRIVAL - Into Orlando area... self explanatory

BUFIT ONE DEPARTURE - Out of Palm Beach area named after famed resident and aviator Jimmy Buffett

Your turn -> Go!

Denver (DEN) has PEEKK THREE and POWDR EIGHT arrivals, and ROCKIES TWO departure (I'm not sure what to think of the SPAZZ THREE departure...).

Do approaches count?

The ILS or LOC RWY 23 for Morristown, NJ (MMU) has BADDA BINGG...

Mount Pleasant SC had two on the approach: UBUBE (you boobie), and JAXOF (Jacks off). These have since been renamed.

Mount Pleasant SC had two on the approach: UBUBE (you boobie), and JAXOF (Jacks off). These have since been renamed.

There has to be some inside joke at the FAA on that one... Mount "Pleasant"!

OK, so thinking about this, here are a couple that come to mind. Some need no explanations, but others may.

BUFIT ONE DEPARTURE - Out of Palm Beach area named after famed resident and aviator Jimmy Buffett

Your turn -> Go!

You gotta wonder what they were thinking when they named the waypoints for a north landing on the Piglet.........

Nashville has:
GUITR
HEHAW
VOLLS
CHSNE
PASLY
RYYMN
SWFFT
DANLS
HGGRD
PARDN
TIPPN

Last edited:
My favorite is the PURRL into DEN:

KIISS
DYLLN
BOWEE
JAGGR
LYNKN
CLPTN
(DANDD) Not part of the classic rock theme)
RECRD
TWNSN
PNBAL
ROCCS
PURRL

RNAV 10 in Ashland KY has NYOMI and YNONA and a JUDDS intersection.

There used to be 2 arrivals into the DFW Metroplex called, FLIPP and FINGR. FLIPP was on the front side of the paper chart, and FINGR was the back. That didn't last long....

Flew the GPS to the NASA shuttle landing facility in pilot training. Points are EARTH, ROCIT, STARS, MOONS, ORRBT, SPACS, LEUNA, MISSL, COMET.

Indianapolis has a few Indy Car themed SIDs/STARS including the RACYR, MAREO, and MEARZ

Favorite waypoint: CREAM

Been cleared to it many times coming back from NH.

Flying IFR south of CLT I was once told to go direct BUBBA. :lol:

That one cracked me up. And I routinely file BUBBA anytime I fly near that route. :D

Just flew a GPS with the points ABBRA KDABR

Wow, thus many posts and no reference to Pease?

ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT IDEED

Last edited:
Wow, thus many posts and no reference to Pease?

ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT IDEED

That was my favorite. I think they changed the names awhile back. If I remember right, it had an IAF or IF named SATAN.

That was my favorite. I think they changed the names awhile back. If I remember right, it had an IAF or IF named SATAN.

SATAN is still there. All those Tweety points are still there too

I think all these "FAA pronounceable names" are those of the dead aliens found in Roswell NM, 1947.

Found one in Lebanon, NH KLEB the ILS 18 has HAMMM, BURGR, and FRYYS on the approach.

Also noticed coming back to NJ that waypoints JIMEE and FALON are right next to each other.

RDU approaches used to have BIGUY, VESTT, SPUNK

Your turn -> Go!

Weren't there some in Florida named after Trump that the FAA has now rescinded?

Weren't there some in Florida named after Trump that the FAA has now rescinded?

yes there was, at PBI they have been renamed or are in the process of being renamed.

look at the seevr2 rnav to DFW there is: PLEZE CHMLI JUSST SWTCH THEMM

the story is that there is a controller named chumlee that works that sector that forgets to hand off aircraft so the other controllers set this one up.

also the DEBBB2: MDANO BELFR HHULL LETNN ZUBOV
dallas stars players

and only in texas also on the debbb2 the gun arrival

wlltr ruggr glokk

bob

DCA Freedom 3 Arrival - HONRR BRVRY COURG PLDGE WEWIL NEVVR FORGT SEPII ALWYZ FRDMM STAND TGTHR LETZZ RLLLL VCTRY HEROO

Hey! New Yorkers!
The JFK SKORR3 Departure boasts METSS SKORR YNKEE & RNGRR to name a few. Apparently local ATC get to name fixes..

The three VOR's in the Dallas Fort Worth area are RANGER COWBOY MAVERICK. That's Baseball, Football, Basketball respectively.

One of the Departures out of KAUS is ELOEL, pronounced LOL.

Here in the Augusta Georgia area (KAGS), home of the Masters Golf Tournament, we have a lot of golf references in our waypoints.

MSTRS = Masters
JUNPR = Juniper - 6th hole of the Augusta National Course
DWOOD = Dog Wood - 11th hole of the Augusta National Course
RDBUD = Redbud - 16th hole of the Augusta National Course
BARDE = Birdie - One Under Par for a Hole
BRDYE = Birdie - One Under Par for a Hole
PARRR = Par
EAGAL = Eagle - Two Under Par for a Hole
BOGII = Bogie - One Over Par for a Hole
PGAAA = PGA - Professional Golf Assoc
EZZGO = Ez-Go Golf Cart Factory in Augusta
CLUBC = Club Car Golf Cart Factory in Augusta
SWTEA = Sweet Tea (it’s a southern thing)
SWANG = Swing - how you hit the ball but with a super heavy southern drawl
FOURR = What you yell just before your ball hits someone. Yea, I know it's not the right spelling, but just poking some fun.

The SAMMI TWO Departure is:
TRPLE -> BOGII -> SAMMI
I think it is referring to Sam Snead who lost a US Open on the final hole by shooting a triple bogie when all he needed was a par to win the tournament.

Some Daniel Field (KDNL) waypoints:
AZALA = Azalea - 13th hole of the Augusta National Course
PMPAS = Pampas - 7th hole of the Augusta National Course
NDINA = Nandina - 17th hole of the Augusta National Course
AMENN = Amen Corner – part of the Augusta National back nine holes
NKLAS = Jack Nicklaus

One of the Departures out of KAUS is ELOEL, pronounced LOL.

The WPs on KAUS SIDs and STARs are noteworthy as well:
WLMRT
HOUKM (I assume "Hook 'em" for UT Longhorns)
JEDYE
SMRFF
HHOOF

logically some Willie pot references:
WLEEE
WAILN
WEEED

understandably beer references:
BITER (pronounced by local controllers as "bitter")
SHYNR
BOCCK

and of course:
WRRDD :D

Houston also has a BLUBL arrival (since it flies right over Brenham, the home of the Blue Bell factory in Texas) and the QTRBK and TCHDN arrivals that have some fun WPs too. :)

This topic comes up from time to time and it always reminds me that someone at the FAA (whoever approves the naming) must have a decent sense of humor to allow these. :)

Back