Fun things to do flying at night

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
So with all the articles on fun things to do in airplanes like flying low and slow in the backcountry, cutting ribbons of toilet paper as they fall to earth, landing at grass strips, etc. I figured we need more ideas on fun things to do when we're tooling around in the local area at night. The nighttime really cuts down on some of the fun maneuvers and activities we can do for safety reasons, so what do you do to keep it interesting and have fun when you've already done night sightseeing for the nth time?

At 41,000, click the mike 5 times on 122.80.

Instant christmas all around on the ground.

Just take a handheld with you when flying commercial.

I'll have to try that! Although half the time I can't even see the airport I'm trying to get to light up when it finally does turn on. Does it look better from up there?

My landing light burned out while on final last night. That made things a bit more exciting than normal. ;)

Back in the day, my instructor would go find a drive in movie and fly towards the screen with his landing light on.

I guess I am just easily amused. Flying at night, just for the fun of flying at night does it for me.

Back in the day, my instructor would go find a drive in movie and fly towards the screen with his landing light on.

Now that would really work if they were screening a Sci-Fi thriller flick.

how about just ask your passengers: "so, like, do you see anything down there that looks like a runway?"

4th of July, Fly around and watch the fire works from the air. Yeah, you have to stay away from them!:rolleyes:

I guess I am just easily amused. Flying at night, just for the fun of flying at night does it for me.

:yeahthat:

but I must say watching a full moon rise over the ocean on a clear night can be quite a sight.

finding my home airport at night (FRG) is fun/challenging because we are right near NYC and everything seems to look like a runway

finding my home airport at night (FRG) is fun/challenging because we are right near NYC and everything seems to look like a runway

I usually look for the lights of echo ramp, for some reason the easiest thing to find for me.

I proposed to my now-wife in 2006 in a DA20 at night over the Portland, OR area. She said yes. Multi-faceted fun. ;)

Enjoying the smooth air, and no one else on the radio... pretty much does it for me.

Looking for fires or cop/ambulance lights is pretty fun too

I was amazed how similar Long Island looks at night looks to the daytime... just that the parts not lit are water.

My landing light burned out while on final last night. That made things a bit more exciting than normal. ;)

I had my electrical system (later traced to a bad volage regulator) STB at night. As they say, hilarity ensued.

I had just called up NY approach to enter the ISP class C before abruptly turning back to base. On my quickly crippled battery, NY approach could no longer hear me, but I heard them as they cut me loose (thanks guys!). About the only thing I had going for me is that unicom at my home drome was staffed 24/7 at that time. From 1,000 above, they could hear me, and clicked on the lights. I made a no light, no flaps landing; at least I could see the runway edges.

Back