Fun IFR Platform ?????

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by lolachampcar, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Bill Watson

Bill Watson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    That was my dream after flying IFR in my old Maule for a few years, and now I'm living it. An RV-10 with WAAS, synthetic vision, NEXRAD, 3 EFIS screens, and a 2 axis AP running on a robust electrical system with dual alts, batts, and buses. I can take off, engage the AP and not touch the stick until I break out at 200' looking at the numbers.

Getting where I want, when I want, most of the time, is it's own reward.

Now if I could just add FIKI....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blueangel likes this.
  2. tsts4

tsts4 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    Well to each his own but your idea fun and my idea of fun is apparently vastly different.

3. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    Why did you become a pilot then? *scratchhead*
    You might be on the wrong webpage, this one is for people who like flying (for our very strange and vastly different reasons).

4. tsts4

tsts4 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    WTF? I love to fly--I even built my own airplane to do so which took dedication far beyond anything we're discussing here. I just didn't think IR traing was fun and don't think that IFR flying, particularly in IMC is all that fun either. YMMV...I do derive satisfaction from it but I wouldn't categorize it as fun. For me IFR is more a means to an end--sorry that ruffles your sensibilities.

Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  5. AcroBoy

AcroBoy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim N
    You are correct of course. Mine has a 430 and stec 30. If I were concerned that it made that much difference in my rec aerobatics I'd go on a diet!

6. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    I definitely misunderstood your post. Which is not hard on them Ynterwebs without the interaction of human beings face-to-face over beer and such. If that happens (beer face-to-face), I will gladly explain to you how I love flying. I will gladly explain it to anyone, especially over beer. ;) IFR or not, commandeering an airplane is just always fun time for me.
    And if you notice my response in the Fighter Pilot Shortage thread, you might get the idea that I don't like flying just a little. Feel absolutely free to call me strange. (insert honest smiley here)

7. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Breaking out of the clouds and seeing the runway right where it should be. That's fun, for me.

Getting task-saturated just before an approach, not so much fun. An autopilot helps a lot with that.

So to answer the OP's question, an IFR plane with an autopilot, to make the experience more pleasant. Of course, you still have to train to hand fly as well.

8. Bill Watson

Bill Watson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    Yep, we all need to respect our fellow pilots' love of flying, a love which comes in many different flavors.

I'm one of those that loves it all but what I love has changed over time. I'll always be a glider pilot and yet have little desire to return to it. My first plane had a tail wheel which I loved but the plane I built sits on it's nose. Building is the most rewarding task I've ever undertaken and yet I only have one build in me. And the plane I built was intended to be an all weather cruiser where IFR capability, speed and utility are the ultimate measures. Boring for some but it's my fun thing these days.

Now if I can just finish the electric powered mini-RC Pilatus Porter that my father started 20 years ago, my year will be complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk