Fun Gaston's airplane rides thread

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
So, who got to fly neat airplanes?

I got two:

Ted's Aztec. Yes, it flies like a truck. Not too bad once you learn to make a control input and give it a little time to work before doing something more. I even made a passable landing at KFLP in it with only a little help.

Greg's 195. Think classic taildragger, supersized. Has a ponderous feel to it, but you still have to use your feet much more than the average 172 driver does. At one point, I was so uncoordinated, and had to use so much rudder to get back to it, that I commented "Hey, Greg, let's see if we can make the guys in the back urp!" He demurred...something about not having sic-sacs.

Thanks, guys! Those were the two airplanes I really wanted to fly this weekend.

How about the rest of you?

I didn't bum any rides this time. I didn't have an a/c worthy of "trading" rides in this time, so I just sat around and socialized a bit.

There's always next year.. ;)

I have lusted after Matt Sawhill's 140 ever since it slipped in under cover of darkness two years ago, and I finally got to ride in it... I was not disappointed! What apeach of a plane that is.

Also, rode in EdFred's new Comanche. That boy got such a freakin' deal, it is a beaut.

How about the rest of you?

I got to ride with Wayne. :goofy: :goofy: :rollercoaster: :rollercoaster: :D

He even let me fly the 180 for a bit. It has a really nice feel to it...very solid and stable. :yes: It also has a lot of knobs and stuff. Some of his panel looks kinda new. :D

Thanks again, Wayne! :)

It was really fun to have Lance take me for a ride in the Citabria. :yes: There are few people who I feel comfortable with flying my airplane while I'm in the back relaxing, and Lance is one of them.

i enjoyed the AzTruck and of course had a great time flying the Bird Dog. Even though I only brought a 172, I was happy to have actually brought an airplane this year so I could give Bill J and Brent S a ride.

I didn't have an a/c worthy of "trading" rides in this time, so I just sat around and socialized a bit.

Who said anything about trades? And why the hell didn't you pull rank and fly the RV down??? :rofl:

I got to fly the AzTruck and Ed's Commanche (both very nice airplanes) and I enjoyed the flight with Diana at least as much as she claims she did.

And I have to thank Lance again for letting me fly his VERY nice Baron. Not too shabby for my first time in a twin.

I didn't bum any rides this time. I didn't have an a/c worthy of "trading" rides in this time, so I just sat around and socialized a bit.

There's always next year.. ;)

I didnt get any rides this year either. Even if I had manged to get my 172 down there, it isnt a worthy plane to give or trade rides in.

Thanks Spike for the rescue flight!
And for the radar reports as I weaved my way home..."SpikeRad"!

Thanks again in particular to Tom (and Diana), Dave Siciliano, and Ed Fred. :)

I was one of those who jumped into Dave's Super Viking. Sweet bird! Thanks Dave! Sorry you had to leave the gear down heading home! :(

I had a great time flying in Dave's P-Baron, Felix's Bonanza, and Bill's Mooney. Thanks guys!

I got a ride in Spike's sweet Bo and the Mooney that came down from Iowa. Then, I got to wish I had the comfort and speed of either as we slogged home in the Archer.

Wow, as I go through my list I feel like I was an airplane slut...

Ted's Aztec: Not sure if it counts but flying down was my first time flying th airplane. It was a challenging airplane even without needed to change power the entire time I was flying. Ted even let me try to keep the controls when it went IFR but it never lasted long. When he took back the plane I just chatted with the Mooney for a bit.

Tony's 172: I was in the back but it was a great little jump from Mountain Home where Ted dropped Adam and I off over to Gaston’s. A much better way to arrive then by Gaston’s Van and my first time seeing the arrival through the goal posts into Gaston’s. If you didn't know there was an airport there you would never be able to make it.

Dave's Viking: What a cool sweet plane. Hope the gear gets fixed quickly and cheaply.

Jay's Zodiac: A sleek and smooth plane.

Diana's Citabera: Roll, Loop, Split S and competition turn (haven't done the last two before) WOO HOO. Then she let me do some turns about a point from the back. Coming out of the ride all I wanted to do is go find an Trade-A-Plane so I could go buy one for myself. Quote of the weekend from Diana: "When you turn her over she squeaks" LOL you could tell I was having a blast.

Kim's Birddog, given by Tony: Almost makes me want one of these over a Citabera, Almost. What a responsive airplane. It was also first time I did some flying with Tony. Thanks for the compliment that I handled it nicely. :redface:

Dr. Bruce's Seneca: In the way back seat but if I have to ride passenger, I'd prefer the third row seat. A very easy egress. The plane was really nice and it was a pleasure to watch an excellent pilot in action.

I really wanted a 140 ride from Matt, one in Wayne's shiny pritty airplane and a 195 ride from Greg but my body had just given out in the heat so I gave up and jumped in the pool. I'm still hot and itchy all over due to the heat rash. I'm convinced that no Sane Yankee would EVER go to Gaston’s Arkansas for vacation in June. Luck for me being crazy enough to be a pilot, means I'm insane enough to want to go back next year.

Missa

Last edited:
I'm trying to think, and I believe the only other plane I flew was Lance's Baron, which is a very nice plane. I certainly understand the appeal of the planes to their owners now... but I'm not trading the Aztec. Many thanks for letting me have my hand at the controls, Lance! :)

I was happy to give a bunch of rides in the Aztec and give people a shot at flying the mighty truck, for many their first multi engine experience, and demonstration of just what actually happens when you lose an engine (simulated only). Jesse, Jay, Bill, Brent, Javier, Lance, Greg, and Tony I believe were the ones I gave rides to. We have a great group of pilots, all of whom I was comfortable letting try out the controls. Lance taught me how to use my autopilot and diagnosed it for me. Now when I go to get it fixed, I have some more info to give them, and hopefully will be able to get it working well. If my ride was successful, Brent and Bill may be trading in the Mooney in the future. ;)

It was great having Missa and Adam B along for the flights down and back. Aside from being fun copilots, having the extra pilots was good at reducing workload. The Melissa 1000 autopilot needs a bit more work in IMC, but to be fair we did hit some moderate turbulence through those clouds. Had it been smooth, I'm sure it would've been another matter.

I always have a great time meeting and visiting other PoAers. We really have a great group.

I got one ride, and boy was it fun! DaveT even threw in a simulate gear emergency for realism! What some people will do to one up the next guy...

Although I didn't get a ride with Jesse, I could tell the kids he took up were having fun from the big grins on their faces on the take off rolls. Jesse made an extra effort to invite the younger spectators. There's no way to tell what kind of impact that will have on their lives in the future but it can only help their (and their parent's) perception of GA.

And Kent....how did you manage to end up with not 1 but 3 chickie babes in shorts and tee shirts????!!!??? I think that was the "most envied" flight of the weekend (by the male pilots, anyway). Someone needs to post that picture here.

Steve, next time you, me and the bird dog are in the same place, I'll take you for a ride. ;)

It was great seeing you again. Thanks so much for all you did to keep that place safe and sane. You're the greatest. :thumbsup:

Deal!

(although I may force the issue by showing up on your doorst...er...home airport one day unannounced)

Steve, next time you, me and the bird dog are in the same place, I'll take you for a ride. ;)

It was great seeing you again. Thanks so much for all you did to keep that place safe and sane. You're the greatest. :thumbsup:

I didn't take many rides, instead, I gave as many as I could to those that either drove or were spectators watching curiously from the sidelines. I have no idea how many I gave.

The best one was a very appreciative gentlemen and his daughter. We joined up in formation with Matt and his 140. They couldn't quit saying how it was an experience of a lifetime that they won't forget and how great aviation must be. A good way to change people's opinions on aviation.

good on you Jesse. I was very happy to see that you were taking the 'locals' up. Hopefully i can be that guy next year.

Deal!

(although I may force the issue by showing up on your doorst...er...home airport one day unannounced)

Well, if you want to put some hours on that new engine, fly up to our Air Expo at New Century (IXD) the weekend of July 11 and 12. :)

I got to fly Lance's Baron and land it at Gastons. He may never let me do that again <g>. Rode back from BPK with Dr. Bruce--the mistro on the controls!

Best,

Dave

Wow, as I go through my list I feel like I was an airplane slut...

No comment. ;)

And Kent....how did you manage to end up with not 1 but 3 chickie babes in shorts and tee shirts????!!!??? I think that was the "most envied" flight of the weekend (by the male pilots, anyway).

Well, they came to the flight line looking for a ride, and a bunch of those male pilots were slacking. Ted shot them down, and it didn't sound like anyone else was going to take them... And what can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty girls. :yes:

Someone needs to post that picture here.

Bill J got us all in front of the plane, but here are the ones they took in the plane:

web.jpg

web.jpg

And the sunset we were treated to:

web.jpg

I didn't take many rides, instead, I gave as many as I could to those that either drove or were spectators watching curiously from the sidelines. I have no idea how many I gave.

Jesse, you did a GREAT job of aviation promotion. We were all wondering how you found so many people to give rides to!

Deal!

Trust me, Steve is really good at showing up at your home airport without annoucing... :nono: I had to catch a change in his avatar to know he was within two blocks of my house. :frown2:

Last edited:
I got to fly Lance's Baron and land it at Gastons. He may never let me do that again <g>. Rode back from BPK with Dr. Bruce--the mistro on the controls!

Best,

Dave

Next year we'll have to swap rides, Dave. I had the only twin you didn't fly in. ;)

Well, they came to the flight line looking for a ride, and a bunch of those male pilots were slacking. Ted shot them down, and it didn't sound like anyone else was going to take them... And what can I say, I'm a sucker for pretty girls. :yes:

Yeah, I was pretty worn out and wasn't feeling like giving much more in the way of rides that day. Besides, they were too young and too squeaky for me. But they were probably about the right age for you, Kent. ;)

Jesse, you did a GREAT job of aviation promotion. We were all wondering how you found so many people to give rides to!
As soon as I'd see someone walk up and watch airplanes I'd go talk to them. I also talked to several that I just ran into walking around the place. I just received an e-mail from one of them. She must have found my e-mail address on the internet somewhere:
hi my name is amber you gave me and my daughters a ride in your plane at gastons. i just wanted to say thank you again.that was an amazing experience, we will never forget it. Id like to chat sometime and learn more about flying. well hope to hear from u soon.....thanx again
Always good to hear stuff like that :)

As soon as I'd see someone walk up and watch airplanes I'd go talk to them. I also talked to several that I just ran into walking around the place. I just received an e-mail from one of them. She must have found my e-mail address on the internet somewhere:
Always good to hear stuff like that :)

BZ Jesse! Way to be a GA Ambassador!

I really appreciated the people who offered to help pay for gas....it was a nice gesture.

It's fun to get rides from people, but even more fun for me to give rides. It's a nice balance to do both, for me anyway. :)

A hearty thank you to Diana for a fabulously fantastic ride. :yes:
You're welcome, Kevin. :) It was a lot of fun flying with you. :yes: Tom got a lot of pictures of you grinning. :D I posted them on the fly-in web site.

And Kent....how did you manage to end up with not 1 but 3 chickie babes in shorts and tee shirts????!!!??? I think that was the "most envied" flight of the weekend (by the male pilots, anyway). Someone needs to post that picture here.

Here's the real pic. Thanks for posting it, Bill! :yes:

578698263_XiZK7-L.jpg

Dave's may hang around Kent more on future trips :rolleyes:.

Plane rides do have their place.

Nice to have friends that think one is fun :redface:

I really do enjoy seeing y'all at Gaston's each year. Heck, I may even reserve a room for next year. (forget all that when pigs fly stuff).

Best,

Dave

Back