Fun, basic aerobatic maneuvers

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Hi all,

Basically I have a roughly hour long aerobatic flight booked for tomorrow in an extra 300 and am looking for some ideas. Ive done some basics before (airleron rolls, loops, barrel rool, ect) but would love some ideas for something fun but doable for a newbie to aerobatics. Not really planning on getting into anything competitive so no need to think about that side of things.

Also before anyone says it, I know I can ask my instructor, and I will, but I still wanted some ideas first. Thanks!

Maybe some take offs and landings first? Probably won't have the stomach for an hour of aero.

Inverted ribbon cut.

Maybe some take offs and landings first? Probably won't have the stomach for an hour of aero.
Sorry if that was unclear but i am a private pilot with about 160 hours and have a fairly good stomach (only time ive ever gotten sick flying was my last aerobatic expirnece when the instructor showed me some pretty insane stuff (sorry i dont remember the names, but like wow)

Sorry if that was unclear but i am a private pilot with about 160 hours and have a fairly good stomach (only time ive ever gotten sick flying was my last aerobatic expirnece when the instructor showed me some pretty insane stuff (sorry i dont remember the names, but like wow)
Ok, post back tomorrow.

I'm with @dturri, you won't have the stomach for an hour of aerobatics. I fly aerobatics every time I fly my plane and if I haven't flown for a week or two, it kicks my butt. I never do aerobatics for an hour. And then you throw in the fact that an Extra does everything much quicker than my plane.... whew!

A couple of loops, rolls, spins, hammerheads, and you'll most likely want to be on the ground. Basic aerobatic courses are 5 hours, advanced are 10 hours. At 10 hours, you may start feeling like you know what you're doing!

The hammerhead and the half Cuban eight are my two favorite ways to turn the airplane around.

Inverted spins are my favorite way to induce vomiting. If you can do a full hour of those without emptying your stomach, you may want to look into a career in this stuff.

Hi all,

Basically I have a roughly hour long aerobatic flight booked for tomorrow in an extra 300 and am looking for some ideas. Ive done some basics before (airleron rolls, loops, barrel rool, ect) but would love some ideas for something fun but doable for a newbie to aerobatics. Not really planning on getting into anything competitive so no need to think about that side of things.

Also before anyone says it, I know I can ask my instructor, and I will, but I still wanted some ideas first. Thanks!

Grab the stick, start whipping it around, do the boogie on the rudder pedals. Your instructor will come up with something fun to do.

Hammerheads and Humptys are tons of fun. And with an Extra you can do gyroscopic tumbles.

Back