Fun approach!

SoCal RV Flyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal RV Flyer
I flew to Northrop/Hawthorne a few days ago, coming from the south on a left base entry to Runway 25. The interesting thing is that they have you follow the 110 freeway at or above 1500' (!) before turning final. My friend who is training out of Long Beach says it's to avoid conflicts with helicopter traffic below.

It's a long final (about 2.2 miles to the threshold), but the sight picture sure is different coming in that high! A good chance to put the RV in an extended slip. On base you're also seeing a lot of big jets to the north on final to LAX.

Great restaurant on the field, and we walked over to SpaceX later and checked out the Falcon booster on display outside their main building. Great carbon fiber work on those massive landing legs...shoulda taken a picture.

Edit: I failed at posting a piece of the TAC, but clicking on skyvector below will bring it up.

<div id="sv_6785" style="width: 200px; height: 200px;">Make your <a href="https://skyvector.com/">Flight Plan</a> at SkyVector.com</div><script src="//skyvector.com/api/lchart?ll=33.9263140229706,-118.2930948574732&amp;s=2&amp;c=sv_6785&amp;i=114" type="text/javascript"></script>

Any photo's or video by chance? Sounds fun!

My friend might have some photos...if he does, I'll get them and post.

Cool, my friend took a great picture! You can see the 105 freeway clearly, LAX in the distance to the right, and Hawthorne to the left. At the very left edge of the photo you can make out the Falcon booster.

The airport is odd...a very small footprint. Has a nontowered feel to it, but obviously needs to be towered with proximity to LAX. At least it's very easy to spot. They encourage a bit of an angled approach on final, as you're right up against Class Bravo that goes to the surface.

IMG_7541.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought LA is supposed to be smoggy all the time??? :)

I love flying around the LA area. The visibility is remarkably clear that day actually!

Cool pic.
Is it pretty bumpy on that approach?

Fortunately, it was really smooth on Tuesday. A couple of bumps over Cal State Fullerton on the way back, but that was it.

Certainly less smog now than in the 1970s/1980s. It can depend quite a bit on wind direction, and whether there's an inversion layer.

It's so easy to navigate around the basin if you've grown up here and know the freeway system. From Cable, I just headed south over the Chino Hills, picked up the 91 westbound, then north on the 110. IFR and all that.... :) Keep to 4500' on the way out and 3500' on the way back, and you're above all the Class Ds and below the Class B shelf. We used the Goodyear blimp (on the ground) as a reporting point. Traffic (air traffic!) was a lot lighter on this flight than when I did the Special Flight Rules corrridor over LAX about six months ago.

Glad I got a flight in before the rain predicted for Tues/Wed. Good timing, as that's when I'm doing the RV's annual inspection.

Last edited:
Brings back memories. Used to fly out of Hawthorne in 1979 and '80 with the Aerospace Corp. flying club. Wondering where to put it down if the engine quit passing over the Hawthorne mall, Sunday brunch at Carlos O'Malley's on Catalina, climbing up to the south to turn north through the VFR corridor to visit family in Sacramento. Thanks for the pic.

Cool pic.
Is it pretty bumpy on that approach?
Not usually - once you get under the inversion its usually smooth. I flew Thurs - pretty much the same as the photos above- Thu aftn got a little hazy and then this am its cloudy with the marine layer.

Cool, my friend took a great picture! You can see the 105 freeway clearly, LAX in the distance to the right, and Hawthorne to the left. At the very left edge of the photo you can make out the Falcon booster.

The airport is odd...a very small footprint. Has a nontowered feel to it, but obviously needs to be towered with proximity to LAX. At least it's very easy to spot. They encourage a bit of an angled approach on final, as you're right up against Class Bravo that goes to the surface.

View attachment 59999
So cool!

Must be one of the few off times, as the 105 doesn’t look too bad, traffic wise. ;)

My company's HQ is right near the 110 and 405. Would be a pretty easy flight from VGT to there.

Back