Full length album released on single 3.5" 'floppy' disk.

well my computer at work and at home have 3.5 drives. i never use them but oh well i got em. i think i have some disks somewhere.

well my computer at work and at home have 3.5 drives. i never use them but oh well i got em. i think i have some disks somewhere.

The problem today is that 3.5 (not "floppy") drives are made so cheaply they're usually one-use-only. You can boot maybe once if you're lucky and after that the drive is trash/. That happens even on $4000 servers. When I needed to supply the hard disk driver from a floppy on my Windows XP homebuilt, I went 3 drives before I found one that worked.

Who has a 3.5" floppy drive anymore? I have not seen one in over 5 years.

Scott, I unearthed a pile of 8" and 5" disks during the move. And I have intact drives for both.....

(CP/M, a true operating system)

This kind of goes with something I've observed lately. Music generally isn't being sold in packages any more. We went from vinyl discs to 8 tracks to cassettes to CDs, then had a paradigm shift to packaging music by the playing system.

Now you download music and put it in your iPod or MP3 player, and plug the player into something to listen to it.

I'm still stubbornly old-school that I wish you could go to the music store (there ain't none left now) and buy an XD card of your favorite album. Plug the card into your computer, stereo, boom box, Walkman, car stereo, or whatever, instead of constantly manipulating the contents of your player.

Oh, well. I'd get with the times if I can just figure out the cryptically labeled microscopic buttons on my MP3 player.

Scott, I unearthed a pile of 8" and 5" disks during the move. And I have intact drives for both.....

(CP/M, a true operating system)

Me, too! Only in my case I moved 3 CP/M computers and a non-PC Compatible GRiD MS-DOS "laptop" with a plasma screen that originally was like $15,000..

..and a HP 620 LX....and a Sharp handheld. I'm outta my mind. :rolleyes:

I did throw away a lot of Digital Research software like the 8080 Assembler and CP/M kit and WordStar.

Isn't the 8" floppy amazing? They look SO BIG now, although VHS tapes, look big these days, too.

Me, too! Only in my case I moved 3 CP/M computers and a non-PC Compatible GRiD MS-DOS "laptop" with a plasma screen that originally was like $15,000..

For me, it was a Jade Computer Products kit-built CP/M machine, a Heath Z-100 (CP/M and MS-DOS), and some other tawdry odds and ends.

..and a HP 620 LX....and a Sharp handheld. I'm outta my mind. :rolleyes:

My Sinclair and Atari bit the trash bin years ago. The IBM XT/286 got so thoroughly modded that it ceased being one years ago - it's now in the Rumpke landfill in Cincinnati.

I did throw away a lot of Digital Research software like the 8080 Assembler and CP/M kit and WordStar.

Isn't the 8" floppy amazing? They look SO BIG now, although VHS tapes, look big these days, too.

My first box of 8" floppies came from Inmac.... Yep, quite amazing.

For me, it was a Jade Computer Products kit-built CP/M machine, a Heath Z-100 (CP/M and MS-DOS), and some other tawdry odds and ends.

My Sinclair and Atari bit the trash bin years ago. The IBM XT/286 got so thoroughly modded that it ceased being one years ago - it's now in the Rumpke landfill in Cincinnati.

My first box of 8" floppies came from Inmac.... Yep, quite amazing.

I remember when I bought my Osborne, a buddy worked at Computerland, and got them to throw in a box of 10 SINGLE SIDED, SINGLE DENSITY (92K) Dysan (top brand) 5 1/4" floppies. Price on the box? $114.00!

I'm CERTAIN I just moved that very box.

I remember when I bought my Osborne, a buddy worked at Computerland, and got them to throw in a box of 10 SINGLE SIDED, SINGLE DENSITY (92K) Dysan (top brand) 5 1/4" floppies. Price on the box? $114.00!

I'm CERTAIN I just moved that very box.

I remember having to get three signatures on a purchase requisition to get a single box of 3.5 inch floppies at Martin Marietta Denver Aerospace in 1983.

Oh, and I also remember driving to a computer store in Silicon Valley simply because they were giving away a 5.25 inch floppy for stopping in. My how times have changed (and for the better!).

Back