Fuel treatment

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Anyone using this TCP fuel treatment? If so, any verifiable results? I had another mechanic tell me that he gets better and more consistent cylinder compression readings on the large TCMs. Says it’s because of a reduction in deposits left behind.
I’m giving it a try in a 172 just for fun. Took borescope pics before and will again once we’ve used up the whole can.

Attachments

• 59E4228D-3789-462E-8579-16C9085F300D.png
    59E4228D-3789-462E-8579-16C9085F300D.png
    556.1 KB · Views: 39
I use it, but somewhat irregularly. I'd rather run UL94 :/

I fly experimental and use Decalin which is not approved for certified aircraft. I say that as many that have the option of using TCP or Decalin (Rotax for instance) use the Decalin because many complain of the harsh chemicals in the TCP. If you're flying a 172 you have no choice but to use the TCP if you're going to use a lead scavenging additive.

I also mix my 100LL with Mogas to help reduce the lead. Don't know if you have an STC for your plane to use auto fuel. Flying cross county generally means burning 100LL ...

TCP does indeed reduce lead fouling if your engine is susceptible. I used it routinely in an O-235-C2C that seemed prone to fouling. However, I would simply try aggressive leaning on the ground, and whenever possible in flight. I do that with an O-320-E2G and rarely see any lead fouling between annuals.

TCP is nastily toxic. It's absorbed through the skin and via inhalation. It will penetrate many gloves (including latex), butyl, PVA, or viton are safe. Heed the warnings on the can.

Thanks for the danger heads up. I noticed warnings on the can that look pretty legit. For the record, I’m not having any problems whatsoever with the 172. Just trying it out with a before and after scoping to see if any difference is noteworthy. I’m considering using it in the IO520 once it’s up and going from it’s annual.

I have used it last 2 years pretty religiously. That plus aggressive leaning on ground plus appropriate leaning in air with my jpi830 has stopped my spark plug fouling issues I was having a little before in my 0-470R

Cool, thanks. I’m not exactly a believer in “fix-it-from-a-can” products, but If it happens to make a difference I’ll be sure to post the before and after borescope pics!

MMO. 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel. Works great.

FYI, MMO is 1% or less TCP, and 1% or less o-dichlorobenzene. The rest is petroleum distillates.

TCP fuel additive is 10% or more TCP.

Is this lead fouling just in certain engines, certain spark plugs, or?
I've never experienced it, so would like to know more.

Some use MMO, but I would just run it hard for a long x/c and see what it reads.

Is this lead fouling just in certain engines, certain spark plugs, or?
I've never experienced it, so would like to know more.
Lower compression engines designed to run on 80/87 fuel are more likely to have lead fouling issues.

Back when I had to keep a first year model C-152 alive, the O-235 engine in that plane could not go ten hours without fouling plugs and a combination of TCP and constant leaning helped get them to 25 hours.

We made it part of the post flight procedure to squirt the measured volume from a big syringe into the tanks.

The later engines and the ones with higher compression weren't as bad.

I got really tired of cleaning spark plugs every week...

Back