Fuel Tank Selector - Picture Thread

Do you park it on both? We always park on LEFT. Could be an OWT but it has something to do with cross-feeding? ...
Definitely not an old wives tale on Cessnas. You should park with fuel selector in LEFT or OFF. If the parking spot is anything but perfectly level, you will crossflow to the lower tank. I forgot once, after landing a C185 on an Alaska beach with a significant slope. Tanks were 2/3 full. When we got back to the airplane after two hours of fishing, the upper tank was very low, the lower tank was full and had vented many gallons on the beach. I put the tank selector in the "before shutdown" checklist after that.

M20F: can't take a picture of it because it seems to be down for the count. Doesn't matter since I can't see it in flight anyway as it resides on the floor under my right calf when I'm seated in the pilots seat.

Here is one of my pair of selectors:

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but 3 inlets, 1 outlet? Fuel pump involved, or is that the fuel pump? Is that a pressure switch at the top?

If there's only one tank, I'd like to see manufacturers take a light hearted approach to fuel selectors:

Attachments

• img2.gif
    img2.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 43
Here's mine: 1960 Beech G18S
be653b354a562495a7253e53d2ba2a77.jpg

All that, and just one fuel gauge! I had the privilege of assisting in the restoration of a beautiful 18, and having some pretty sound sparkies skills, I was the designated fuel level system diagnostician (under AMP supervision, of course). I cleaned and adjusted, or replaced, every fuel level sensor in the airplane, and trouble-shot the system for some problems.

I know it is trite and obvious to say, "the problem was in the last place that I looked," but because trouble-shooting practice usually calls for eliminating the simple and obvious things (notably, connectors) before the more complicated, I was not at all happy that the actual problem resided in the last place available to look, the Rotary switch by which you select which fuel tank to display on the single fuel gauge. And, I understand why they might have chosen not to put an extra connector in the circuit, but could they not have at least left a little bit of extra wire length in so the switch could be brought a little bit out of the panel for testing and inspection?

Do you park it on both? We always park on LEFT. Could be an OWT but it has something to do with cross-feeding?

My first trip in 172, and I parked it with the selector left on "both." Two days later, when it came time to leave, all available fuel was in the right tank, and the field from which we were flying (despite the AFD report that fuel was available) had no fuel, but we had enough to safely make a nearby airport with fuel, but not so much that the imbalance was a problem. Lesson learned.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at, but 3 inlets, 1 outlet? Fuel pump involved, or is that the fuel pump? Is that a pressure switch at the top?

Its only a selector, no pump. Musn't stray from the thread title, right?
Everyone else has been discussing fuel selector levers or indicators, not the fuel selector, imo.

Its only a selector, no pump. Musn't stray from the thread title, right?
Everyone else has been discussing fuel selector levers or indicators, not the fuel selector, imo.
Some fuel tank selectors also turn on the fuel pump for that tank

Pic from the 152 that almost literally let me down today (thankfully, it never got off the ground before an engine failure, almost).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 21
Back