Fuel Prices

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. My home base is $5.40 (that's with a $0.10/gal dicount). Norfolk is $6.44. Then Wakefied sits at $3.37. That's all In a 15 mile radius. I understand how the system works but it still makes me wonder. :mad2:

ORF is $1 off on weekends. With my base discount it ends up being equal if not a little less than the other local airports in the tidewater area, but that price at AKQ is worth the trip to fill up.

What is amazing is that AV gas doesn't seem to follow the supply and demand law. Demand is way down, but prices have stayed up. Back in the day, the AV gas mo gas differential was about $1.50 to $2.00 per gallon. With mo gas currently at around $2, AV gas would be $3.50 - $4 per gallon.

Thanks for the Wakefield tip. I just added KAKQ to one of my "library routes." :)

Be sure to check for an update before you go. Wakefield is a funny one. Every so often they are dirt cheap; by far the lowest in the area. They will be low like that for a while and then go back up to pretty much the same as other nearby fields. The others don't fluctuate as much: they just stay high.

We closed on a 1960 G18S last week. I'll probably go down to FL to pick it up early January.

What a great plane to own! You will have to post some pictures. Congratulations.

We closed on a 1960 G18S last week. I'll probably go down to FL to pick it up early January.

I love tailwheels and radial engines and have always had a fondness for the Twin Beech. I'd love to own a DC-3, but that's just not a practical family airplane. Actually had considered a Beech 18 back when I was originally shopping for a twin, but wasn't comfortable with the operating cost at the time.

We love the Baron, but I had been thinking about upgrading to a cabin twin (340 or 414) for a little while. My wife prefers shorter trips and the one thing I don't like about the Baron is the single over the wing door on the pax side - I had thought that the extra speed and pressurization may be a selling point to get my wife to want to do longer trips, but we did a family trip this year out to AZ in the Baron and I came to the realization that even a pressurized twin wouldn't make my wife want to fly those really long trips much more and I just don't see us being able to afford a turbine.

So for us, the Twin Beech makes sense. For our typical trips, the slower speed only adds about 15-20 minutes, but a WHOLE new dimension in comfort and style and a lot of fun. You can literally stand upright in the cabin. Get up, walk around, stretch legs, kids can swap seats in flight and there is a potty in back.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go up and do any safety pilot stuff in it when it gets here. It will probably be at ORF until I can find big enough hangar space at CPK.

Wow, that's great... Congratulations, it's time for the :happydance::happydance::happydance:. Can't wait until you post some pics. Enjoy the new Time Machine. Hopefully I can see it up close...:yes:

On the Wife front, I think I may have created a monster. When I asked her what she wanted for Christmas, her answer... get this... "Gas for the plane"...:yikes: She wants us to take a trip somewhere every two or three months. Says she'll pay for the hotels, I buy the gas... Hummm, we'll see...

Still gettin ass-raped at my home drome: $5.09

When I see other parts of the country in the $3 range, it hurts.

True. I wish it would drop everywhere but doesn't seem likely. Hell I knew I would get raped at IAD but 9.18 made me want to tell them to at least whisper sweet nothings to me first.

Last edited:
Winterhaven BOW.
That's about a half hour away from here in the Bo. If you can let me know when you will be there, Leslie and I would be thrilled to come meet you and check out your new ride.

DMW $3.96 self serve.

Everybody come buy some, so we can replace it with even cheaper stuff.

$3.10 at Mesquite (KHQZ), which is a short flight from Addison.

'Course, my plane has no engine...

$2.97 at my childhood hometown of Kennett, MO (KTKX). It is $3.33 at both Shelby County (Memphis, TN) airports. Local car gas is $1.75-1.85. E-free is $2.40.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

It's worth noting who the greedy FBOs are during this overall fuel price drop.

Don't know about Avgas, but it sure is nice filling up the old 182 with <$2.00/gal unleaded.

5.35 at the home base. $3.99 about 15 minutes away. 4.05 about 5 minutes away.

http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/ has added FBo fuel prices to their layers, but don't have all the airports around me. The 'other' site has most of them, but not all.
Garmin Pilot has a good list.

Where else do you guys get the fuel prices from? Other than picking up a phone and talking to a human. That's so 2003.

5.35 at the home base. $3.99 about 15 minutes away. 4.05 about 5 minutes away.

http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/ has added FBo fuel prices to their layers, but don't have all the airports around me. The 'other' site has most of them, but not all.
Garmin Pilot has a good list.

Where else do you guys get the fuel prices from? Other than picking up a phone and talking to a human. That's so 2003.
Airnav or Foreflight. Lately, in my experience, Foreflight has been better.

I turn on the 100LL price map in FF. Awesome resource. And yet I still seldom stop short in order to get cheaper gas. I fly to my destination and fuel up there just because my family wants to "get there" and not dick around with multiple stops (unless required).

Prices have fallen by only about 10 - 15% at KAPA over the past year.

At Addison, my usual destination, prices have fallen by about 12% over the last year to an ultra-low (for KADS) $6.85! :mad:

These drops are not consistent with auto fuel price drops which have come down by 50% or more since mid-2014 according to the EIA. Auto fuels have their own layers of price BS due to multiple formulation mandates, regs and taxes but overall it's produced in vastly greater quantities than 100LL.

Avgas is such a specialty fuel that it is batch produced and has a relatively long delay between feedstock price drops and congruent drops at the truck or pump. Some airports seem to respond earlier than others in any case.

Last edited:
On our trips to Houston I used to stop in Plainview (Hale County). They are showing $3.38 right now which is great. Unfortunately, going to Dallas I seldom need to stop so I just take the reaming at KADS.

100LL is all over the map......seemingly everywhere......for any who are interested Skyvector has an overlay of gas prices you can use.

https://skyvector.com/ go up along the top to "layers" and you will see the overlay for it...........

100LL is all over the map......seemingly everywhere......for any who are interested Skyvector has an overlay of gas prices you can use.

https://skyvector.com/ go up along the top to "layers" and you will see the overlay for it...........

It doesn't appear to be complete. Prices are missing for a couple of airports around me...:dunno:

Don't know about Avgas, but it sure is nice filling up the old 182 with <$2.00/gal unleaded.

Hey - I haven't seen UL under $2 yet. $2.10 this weekend. Went flying at 140KTS for an hour - cost $21.00 in gas..

Where's that big smily icon: :yes:

brian];1975896 said:
Hey - I haven't seen UL under $2 yet. $2.10 this weekend. Went flying at 140KTS for an hour - cost $21.00 in gas..

Where's that big smily icon: :yes:
The alcohol-y stuff is going for as low as $1.60 around here. Unfortunately, no ethanol free pumps in a high population county.

Paid $3.11 for SS 100LL at Wakefield, Va (KAKQ) yesterday:D I'm liking.....

Still 4.99 at my home drome. I never put fuel in here now unless legally required. Not when I can get it for low 3's elsewhere

5.69 on my field is the highest. 4.49 is the lowest. You can guess where everyone is going.

$2.95 at Georgetown and Taylor for the cheap gas runs in the area

X60, Williston, FL - $2.88 SS 100LL
Restaurant on field too

Paying 3.75 full service today,shop around in Fla self service running under 3.50 in some areas. The big FBOs are still in the high $5. I'm out of Sarasota.

under $4/g for ss 'round here. actually, even at N Myrtle last week it was under $4 at ss.

3.59 @ gal. is the cheapest in Washington state. This is at Chehalis. The pump was busy especially for a Thursday!

KFIN was right at $3.00 yesterday. Love to see it stay this low but I know better :(

Back