Fuel Leak

Aaron Boyd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
A Boyd
A pre-buy on a potential Cessna TR182 the #1, 2 and 4 intake leaking fuel, Owner states this is not a huge deal and would not keep aircraft from being airworthy. I believe overwise, any fuel leak in my opinion needs to be repaired/fixed. also during run up the RH mag dropped 200 rpm. What do you think? Should I pass this aircraft up and keep looking or are these problems not expensive to repair?

keep looking or are these problems not expensive to repair?
Why not ask the APIA who will be maintaining your new aircraft and get an exact cost figure or input? While there's not enough info to make an subjective comment on your post the person you will be paying to fix anything you miss now will be that APIA who performs your first annual after purchase. Remember, airworthiness is 50% opinion based and very subjective to the person. Good luck.

On their surface, intake leaks are simple repairs. Mag-drop issues often have simple causes, as well.

I'd be more concerned about the things that are difficult to fix, like compression issues. you know, the kinda stuff where the engine has to come apart.

Forget that the owner says, what does the A&P who did the prebuy say about it?

The cylinders have the fuel primers in the heads right next to the intake valve. If the intake riser gaskets are shot, primer fuel will seep out of them and leave a stain. Sometimes you see liquid fuel when checking the primer during inspection. The intake riser flange bolts need to be checked for security. If they're snug, the gaskets are shot and need to be replaced. Bad gaskets will let the turbo push air and fuel past them. Ugly. And dangerous.

upload_2022-1-31_17-28-41.png

The R182 has a carb famous for its rich setting, specified by Lycoming for that application. It will cause a big mag drop in the runup unless the density altitude is really low. The TR 182 may be similar. Just lean it and try those mags again; I bet the drops will look a lot better. And you have to be aware of that richness all the time, too; when you pull carb heat it can make the engine really rough; it needs leaning to smooth it. The POH has the info on it.

Last edited:
Forget that the owner says, what does the A&P who did the prebuy say about it?

:yeahthat:

Us owners are not always the best source of information on what is ok and what isn't

(how's that for an understatement?)

This was a very simple fix. What other maint has the owner deferred?
The gear system in those airplanes tends to get ignored. It has several weaknesses an owner should be aware of.

Depending on the year built, the rubber seals in the system should be replaced every five years. I think it was in '79 or '80 Cessna went to a different seal material that can be run on-condition. A blown or badly leaking seal in any of the three actuators will bleed the pressure right down so that the mains can't be fully extended, whether with power or by hand pump.

The main landing gear actuator bodies came in two or three versions. One of them has a tendency to crack, badly, and make the gear unusable. Those bodies are obscenely expensive. A gear-up landing is also expensive.

The main landing gear trunnions are crack-prone. Also obscenely expensive. Remember that these airplanes haven't been built in 35 years.

The nosegear actuator anchor in the fuselage tends to work loose. It's taking considerable loading when the weight is on the gear, and slamming the nose down can pull things loose too.

On that same actuator are the downlock hooks and pins. Those pins have a groove machined into them so that a roll pin in the casting fits through the groove to retain the pin. The pins tend to break in that groove, and if the pin works out it can foul the gear extension and locking.

Back