Fuel issue during training

Paveslave53

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paveslave53
Soooooooo yesterday I had something happen to me that was a first. I have a 182S and yesterday I flew from fargo to Duluth and did some approaches, the flight was super nice from fargo to KDLH, shot 2 approaches and one into another airport, stoped for fuel and my right wing took 26 gallons and my left took 5, I always fly a coordinated airplane So I ruled that out I re trimmed it 20 times throughout the flight to make sure I hate leaning left, on the cross country part. It was terribly turbulent on the approaches up and downdrafts were
Really bad, holding altitude was not easy to say the least. What would cause that much of a fuel transfer, is that dangerous in the aspect
I could run out in one tank ? Never had this happen before. In the 208 we Make sure to Keep the aircraft within 200 lbs cause uneven fuel burn is common. My 172 was always within a gallon or 2 wing to wing, this was excessive. First time.

My 182H with bladders always pulls faster out of the right tank. was fuel total burn consistent with hours on the prop??

Did you check that both tanks are drawing? 5 gals is practically a measurement error for the left tank.

Turn to left tank only, drain fuel into a fuel container from your cowling sump drain. See if you're actually getting anything from left tank.

Soooooooo yesterday I had something happen to me that was a first. I have a 182S and yesterday I flew from fargo to Duluth and did some approaches, the flight was super nice from fargo to KDLH, shot 2 approaches and one into another airport, stoped for fuel and my right wing took 26 gallons and my left took 5, I always fly a coordinated airplane So I ruled that out I re trimmed it 20 times throughout the flight to make sure I hate leaning left, on the cross country part. It was terribly turbulent on the approaches up and downdrafts were
Really bad, holding altitude was not easy to say the least. What would cause that much of a fuel transfer, is that dangerous in the aspect
I could run out in one tank ? Never had this happen before. In the 208 we Make sure to Keep the aircraft within 200 lbs cause uneven fuel burn is common. My 172 was always within a gallon or 2 wing to wing, this was excessive. First time.

Why don't you switch to the left tank and see if the engine still runs? You can do it on the ground if you are concerned.

Why don't you switch to the left tank and see if the engine still runs? You can do it on the ground if you are concerned.
Might have to sit and idle for a bit as burn off a gallon or so in the system. Draining probably easier.

I'm sure there's a thread or two on here where someone who looks like me says that in high wings you should start on one tank, taxi on the other, and switch to both before the run-up. This way you confirm you're drawing from both tanks.

Fuel venting issue? Sounds like that to me.
Except that the Cessna has a vent into the left tank with an interconnecting vent line between the left and right tanks. If the left tank is slower than the right due to a venting issue, both tanks are in trouble. The left tank will often drain faster than the right until the fuel level has dropped enough in the left tank that fuel is no longer flowing through that interconnect from the left into the right tank. When the tanks are full it's immersed in the fuel.

My 182H with bladders always pulls faster out of the right tank. was fuel total burn consistent with hours on the prop??
It was, and when I did the math and bounced it off my JPI I was within 1.2 gallons, when I left fargo it was topped off to the point they had fuel running down the wing.I fueled it back up to full when I landed so that I can check my fuel burn against the JPI.

Back