Fuel Gap Gasket

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
Fuel Cap Gasket

What's the part number for the gasket and screws on these types of caps?

Cessna_172_Fuel_Tank_Cap_a2_16419.jpg

This would be for a 1977 172N. Had no luck searching on my own and the Aircraft Spruce gasket I ordered had an inner diameter size of 1 3/8 which is too large.

Last edited:
If you can't find an answer, I'm sure John at CPA would probably know it from memory.

Can you simply measure the inner and outer diameters and order the right size?

In my case (Cherokee 140) I had a choice of black or white gaskets and didn't know the difference. There was a tiny bit of thickness variation between the two so I ordered both. It was the white ones.

As for the screws, take one out and take it to Ace or Home Depot, they usually have a little board there with doohickies on it that you can find out your thread size. Then note the length and order appropriately.

Last edited:
Do you have a contact email for him?

What's the part number for the gasket and screws on these types of caps?

Cessna_172_Fuel_Tank_Cap_a2_16419.jpg

This would be for a 1977 172N. Had no luck searching on my own and the Aircraft Spruce gasket I ordered had an inner diameter size of 1 3/8 which is too large.

That cap isn't made anymore. It's not a vented cap and wouldn't normally be on the airplane by now. An AD in 1979, here: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...225F45DF0B489ACE86256A34006AB0A2?OpenDocument demanded that at least one cap be a vented cap, and most airplanes by this time have two of them. I don't think Cessna even has the gaskets for the old caps anymore.

Can't even buy just the gasket when the cap assembly is >$1,500! (a jet)

Okay thanks. I'll check into Vented caps.

If you have gaps in your fuel, you have bigger problems that I don't think a gasket will fix. :D

Just noticed that typo.

I also went on a late night cross country tonight and noticed my right side tank fuel cap is vented, however the left isn't. It appears per a post I read that in 1977 (year of my plane) that Cessna put only a metal vented cap on the right and left the cheap plastic one on the left. These often broke and people replaced them with a matched vented on.

Aircraft spruce has them- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessnaparts8.php

Going to order one, assuming it will fit without any change to the fitting.. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Yah ended up at Cessnaparts.com... $63 and some change. The $1500 was in reference to Jet ones..

Back