Fuel cost as a percentage of total operating expenses

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
For those that keep track of your airplane's OpEx how much has 100LL costs increased as a total percentage of OpEx (Operating Expenses).

While I had a plane prior to the Tiger, I've only kept track since I've owned the Tiger in 2001. At that time 100LL was around 1.80/gal. Now I am paying $6.19. Over the eleven years of ownership that is a 12% annual increase opposed to about 3.5% inflation rate for the period.

Fuel cost right now is about 50% of my OpEx, as opposed to 23% when I bought the Tiger in 2001.

How about you?

I once calculated my operating costs, and broke them down to flight hour and time unit derivatives. I then solemnly swore to never, ever, under any circumstances do that again.

I once calculated my operating costs, and broke them down to flight hour and time unit derivatives. I then solemnly swore to never, ever, under any circumstances do that again.
I don't want to go there either. I've put 14 hours on the 24 in 11 years and spent well over $90k on it plus $2300 on insurance this year.

So the gas is the little bill.

So does anyone track this stuff? Does anyone manage to a budget? :confused:

I don't consider fuel a operational cost, even though it takes it to operate. Reason being, my truck needs fuel too, its not a question or option. It has to have it, so it doesn't matter. My plane is for business, if I have to travel I need fuel. The only thing that can change is maintenance, hanger costs etc.

Sure it sucks to fill it up, but whats the alternative? walk?

I'm running about 50% on my 172, but like a couple others have mentioned I have resolved to never look at the numbers too closely. If I knew exactly what it cost to fly, then I would have to try and justify that cost, and I just ain't gonna do that.

Sometimes "NEED" has nothing to do with it. :D

OK, so we don't like to track aircraft OpEx because it shows how absolutely ludicrous this pursuit is from an economic perspective. I get that, believe me I do.

One of the reasons I posted this was to show the disparity for fuel costs compared to other costs, and the huge increase in those costs over the last ten years or so. 12% annual increases over the eleven years I've owned the Tiger is out of control.

What do you include in "operating costs"? Total cost of operating and keeping the plane including insurance and storage? All maintenance and overhaul reserve? Only unscheduled maintenance? Lots of variable there.

What do you include in "operating costs"? Total cost of operating and keeping the plane including insurance and storage? All maintenance and overhaul reserve? Only unscheduled maintenance? Lots of variable there.

Ya want to separate the op/costs, from the cost of ownership?

I DO track my operating expenses. I embarked in a very specific mission set, one which will be coming to an end hopefully soon. It was to cross TX several times a month quicker than the airlines or driving would, at no appreciable increase in travel cost and within my ability to acquire an aircraft to my savings comfort level, without the need for financing.

For my first year of ownership on the warrior, gas is on track to be at a whopping 65% OpEx. That's only because my airplane is slow as dirt and it takes me 8 blocktime hours of flying every other weekend to navigate 420NM. Actually, slow really doesn't matter; I get 14NMPG which is actually pretty good economy. hell that's Mooney gas mileage. I got everything in the spam can category beat or matched with the exception of mooneys and the grumman cheetah. At any rate, the reality is that the scale of my OPEX YTD is such only so because I'm flying in excess of 200hrs per year, for this year.

I could just as easily undercut that kind of expense by just flying two hours a weekend versus eight every 2.5 weekends, which granted would be a completely different mission statement. Either way, then the MX/hangar would be the lion's share. How much of my present MX is due to flying that much more? Hard to tell. Maybe the tires. Maybe some electricals if they're sensitive to hours online versus cycles of off/on toggling? The engine is being run on condition so hours matter little now that it's post-TBO.

The one significant thing I can see is that, within the context of fuel costs, price has made a significant difference. If I could legally run mogas, which physically and scientifically I can do so safely and successfully (that's for another thread...) the difference for my geographical region would have hovered around $1.58per gallon savings. That equates to 3AMUs for the year in fuel savings at my current flight hours usage. Essentially pays for the annual and belated maintenance every single year. On a 15K/yr estimated total operating expense budget, that is NOT an insignificant additional expense.

All in all I am not unhappy with the outcome this year. However, I think I would be upset with the hobby if I spent more money patching the spam can than burning money flying it.I know that's why I sold the C-150 two years ago; cheap as it was, I was sinking much more money patching up the relic than enjoying hours in the air. Fixed costs are a drag to my enjoyment of this venture. To me, while on a fixed budget, having mx expenses be higher than fuel expenses is indicative of lack of value. I would stop flying at that point. Which is why I mind inspection, PMA parts and avionics cost much more so than fuel costs. Maybe I'm in the minority in viewing costs in such a way.

I said before, outside of engines, I haven't seen much correlation between a significant uptick in MX cost increase when flying between 100 and 300 hours a years. Which is why these "fixed" costs upset me so much. If anything, the MX cost is exponentially more when being flown between 100 and not-at-all for the year. These things don't like sitting and I think we can all agree it's more expensive to sit them than fly them even the cursory once-a-week for an hour to burn off the moisture off the case and keep the rubber components from disintegrating.

So I kinda disagree in terms of how fuel costs affect my behavior. In my particular case, the replacement cost of parts and avionics, inspections and compliance with ADs, 'sitting time' cost per se, is much more offensive to my operation than $6/gal gas since the former seems to be stubbornly inelastic to usage, at my flight hour range and thence becomes more expensive per unit flown when I actually throttle BACK my usage....Paying more to have less is not my thing.

BTW, I did some number crunching and for the expense I think the Tiger is the best deal out there. Probably the same fixed expenses as my Warrior with generally the same fuel economy, but you get 20-25 knots knots. No wonky prop and associated AD, no hydraulic leaks and powerpacks and fire-hazard electrical pumps from the 60s nor mechanical fuel "injection". Just dirt simple carb WOT and fixed pitch welded down. That's simply incredible.

EDIT: to add, I put my total cost of everything on the above figure, I do not have a note on the airplane.

Cue spit take. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Everything that you pay to operate the plane, plus engine and aiframe reserves, but not aircraft loan payment if there is a loan, and while economically correct, I would not include the opportunity cost of the capital for the value of the plane.

I've been tracking everything with the Flybaby minus the fuel -- mostly because tracking the fuel has seemed like it'd be a MAJOR pita. Maybe I should reconsider that.

Really I should just put everything airplane related through one particular credit card...that'd simplify things.

I have always figured that for most aircraft if they fly more than 100hours per year that fuel is about 50% of the cost. Just look at rental rates to verify this is a ball park figure.

here are a couple rough examples from memory.

152 @ 7Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $42/hr *2 = $84/hr

172 @ 9Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $54/hr *2 = $108/hr

182 @ 12Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $72/hr *2 = $144/hr

Brian

I have always figured that for most aircraft if they fly more than 100hours per year that fuel is about 50% of the cost. Just look at rental rates to verify this is a ball park figure.

here are a couple rough examples from memory.

152 @ 7Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $42/hr *2 = $84/hr

172 @ 9Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $54/hr *2 = $108/hr

182 @ 12Gal/hr @ $6/gal = $72/hr *2 = $144/hr

Brian
Add a 30% slush and you're about right.

Yep. A high percentage of costs are attributable to items that occur and recur whether you're flying one hour or a hundred.

Ya want to separate the op/costs, from the cost of ownership?

For consistency when comparing various airplanes head-to-head, I assume 100% financing and amortize over 15 years at client's assumed borrowing rate unless otherwise instructed (which after 25+ years has never happened.) By so doing we eliminate all the discussions of down-payment percentage yada yada and can concentrate on the other issues.

I have about 30 years worth of airplane P & L's for more than 30 planes that I've owned all or part. There has never been a budget, because I had no other viable option for running the business, but I always tracked the costs because Quicken made it easy and the IRS occasionally displayed a somewhat morbid curiosity about the subject.

Annual usage of ~100 hours costs ~$30k for the Cessna 180. Flying 200 hours costs ~$37k at current fuel prices ($4,80/gal). With 96 gal tanks I am able to buy fuel at cheap country pumps and tanker.

Last edited:

F*** yeah I manage a budget. If I was made of money I'd be flying four engine turbojets.

M20J-205: $66/hr. mx reserve, Fuel @ $5.57/hr * 10.6gph = $59.042/hr.

During my slightly more than 2 years as a pilot, the cheapest I remember buying fuel was $3.64/gallon in 2010 at KJYG. I can't even buy 93 octane mogas for my car at that price anymore. :(

Anyway, if I was paying $3.64/gal, my fuel price would only be $38.584/hr. Would the $20.46/hr difference make it easier for me to fly more? Yes it would.

As it stands, I'm about a 40-50/hr. a year pilot. :nonod:

I have a T182T and keep track of everything. It has not stopped me from flying, but I average about $130 and hour. I fly about 200 hrs a year since purchasing the plane in May 2011. In my hour figure I include fuel, maintenance, hangar, training(initially currency in the plane, then IFR, and now just started commercial), annuals, insurance, supplies, etc. I do not include the price of the plane, my mortgage(just finished thankfully), or my overhaul fund(just starting).

I fly because it is fun and it is a stress reliever for me. The value is priceless.

Doug

I have a monthly flight budget, yes. Whether or not I stick to it every month is another matter entirely. ;)

Excess (if I don't fly) even sits in a separate account at my bank. If I'm short, that's a pre-discussed item with the Mrs., who is awesome and usually doesn't mind. :)

Of course, it helps if the reason I went over was to take her someplace fun in the airplane. :)

The Instrument rating was a temporary increase in the monthly budget until the flying account hit a dollar amount we both figured would conservatively work to get it done. That took about eight months to build up and we discussed that it was a "go until finished" kind of project, so it could go out of bounds a bit. Kinda like some of the house projects over the years.

As far as the airplane goes, yes, we could also pull the percentage of costs that fuel represents. Having a co-ownership means tracking stuff so there no surprises.

One of my (totally awesome) co-owners has the master spreadsheet and sends the other two of us a copy with our monthly bill. Since one person sends the checks to the hangar and another sends the aircraft check, and someone usually runs the annual on a miles or points credit card, the LLC has to track those as credits, versus those of us who haven't paid for various things that need reimbursement, so there's a page of credits/debits. We review and whoever is under, writes a check to the LLC, and the other person has a carried credit they usually fly off that month. (In my case, I bank transfer to the LLC because I hate dealing with checks.)

So yeah... We have all the numbers.

Now, whether we want to delve into things like the fuel percentage, is another matter. :) If we do, it's easy to add a column to calculate it.

We're usually more interested in what the percentage that maintenance and improvements run than what fuel costs. Fuel is what it is.

We also did track a few purchases of MoGas separately since we had a tank, and that was an outflow for the person who fueled that tank and shuttled it to the airport.

We may do more of that since one co-owner built a tank trailer. :)

The LLC also has to provide appropriate tax forms annually. Our person who's doing the spreadsheet kindly sends us those also.

I don't laboriously track it, but this thread caused me to pitch a calculator on the desk and throw in some rough numbers from memory.

I fly a little more than 100 hours a year and fuel costs probably make up something on the order of 60% to 70% of my operational costs if I don't consider money put away for engine overhaul or considering the initial cost of the aircraft.

I fly a little more than 100 hours a year and fuel costs probably make up something on the order of 60% to 70% of my operational costs if I don't consider money put away for engine overhaul or considering the initial cost of the aircraft.

I think that is a fair way to look at it. No matter what, though the cost of fuel as a percentage of operating costs are way higher now than previously. The price of 100LL has escalated far more than inflation, and other costs of aircraft operation.

If I actually tried to budget this stuff I'd stop flying immediately. There is no justification possible.

I think that is a fair way to look at it. No matter what, though the cost of fuel as a percentage of operating costs are way higher now than previously. The price of 100LL has escalated far more than inflation, and other costs of aircraft operation.

Anthony - If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that you would have just wanted to start a rant on Hangar Talk. But since I know better, I'm sure you got some useful information out of this thread from the other contributors, right?;)

Agree with that! I do keep a rough running total, maybe revisit it every 6 months or so. You are correct, fuel is roughly 1/2 the total cost of operation.

Gary

I fly a Baron now but used to fly a Grumman AA5B (loved that plane). My operating cost was basically 50/50 in line with the rest. I never did a detailed calculation; don't want to know....serious BUZZ KILL.

Anthony - If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that you would have just wanted to start a rant on Hangar Talk. But since I know better, I'm sure you got some useful information out of this thread from the other contributors, right?;)

No, I didn't want to start a rant, not that I am not capable of that. :wink2:

I wanted to highlight that fuel costs have become a disproportianate cost with regards to aircraft operations, and also see what others were experiencing as a percentage of cost. Do you not see the discussion worthwhile on a GA board?

IMHO, fuel costs are a major factor in the reduction of GA as a mode of transportation, and also a "hobby". LSA is a joke from the perspective of transportation, and we shoudn't be relegated to that. Our choices are being curtailed.

Yep. Time for owner experimental. These things are going to the salvage yard otherwise so why not? I know I know. Limiting choices is the ultimate goal of the FAA. Extinction by economies of scale. Nobody wants more idiots in the air but we need more idiots in the air in order for anyone to be in the air. Catch 22

My planes
C-150 47%
PA-28-180 56%

Last edited:
This thread is giving me the chills....

Do you take the same enlightened approach for all other expenditures?

If I actually tried to budget this stuff I'd stop flying immediately. There is no justification possible.

I went flying with 3 other EMC engineers in Italy on Thursday. The Italian pilot in the bunch had total costs of a rental C-172N including landing fees of a bit over $400. That was for maybe 2 hours in the air. I'd have a better number, but they don't use the Hobbs and it was broken (why can't it break in a plane I'm renting???). Rome-Urbe to L'Aquila and back. Beautiful flight, but that sort of cost makes you gulp. Makes me really appreciate what we have here. Oh, and the restrictions they have. Yikes.

And, yes, I did get some time on the controls (not logable, darn it). First time I've flown from the right seat. That really messes with your instrument scan, and the throttle, mixture and trim are just in the wrong place. :D I let our collegue from France have that seat on the way back. Easier to take pictures when you aren't flying.

I am surprised there wasn't more participation in this thread, since I believe fuel costs are a leading deteriment to GA. Knowing that some may not want to know the costs, but still. :(

Are you thinking this revelation is a big surprise to somebody who buys fuel for any motorized conveyance?

Which congressman are we supposed to write?
I am surprised there wasn't more participation in this thread, since I believe fuel costs are a leading deteriment to GA. Knowing that some may not want to know the costs, but still. :(

Are you thinking this revelation is a big surprise to somebody who buys fuel for any motorized conveyance?

Which congressman are we supposed to write?

Maybe, I am just crying in my 100LL. I do think it has escalated more than other fuels, and to a prohibitive degree.

Which congressman to write? All of them.

Other than telling them that you are plssed and not taking this any more, what else should we say?

Maybe, I am just crying in my 100LL. I do think it has escalated more than other fuels, and to a prohibitive degree.

Which congressman to write? All of them.

Wait until you see the bill for the unleaded fuel (e.g., converting from 100LL to something unleaded).

Back