Fuel Availability (Lack of)

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
KFFC recently posted the following NOTAM:

100LL and Jet A not available without prior permission.

When I called to ask about it I was told "essential flights only." I was told this came down from the FAA. "No leisurely flying allowed"

Looks like KDKX has the same NOTAM now.

Is this the end of our flying for the next month?

When I called to ask about it I was told "essential flights only." I was told this came down from the FAA. "No leisurely flying allowed"

I could find nothing from the FAA. As to Matthew's "Mogas to the rescue!" that would only apply if fuel only was restricted. A restriction on pleasure flights would render that route null and void.
But still ... can't find anything.

I can’t imagine that the FAA can shut down recreational part 91 flights without putting a NOTAM over the entire country. Not everyone’s plane is at a public airport and without a NOtAM, there would be no official notice and therefore no way to enforce the order. So if we open foreflight (or FlyQ in my case) one day and the entire country is orange, then we have the answer.

The attached memo was put out to airport operators by the FAA yesterday. It does not ban all leisure flying.

https://www.faa.gov/news/media/atta...g COVID-19 Restrictions or Accommodations.pdf

Recreational aeronautical restrictions: Certain States have issued COVID-19 restrictions on activities they deem “non-essential,” including certain aeronautical activities such as flight schools and sky diving. With the goal of keeping airports open to ensure access for the traveling public, emergency and medical equipment and supplies, and emergency transportation, FAA does not object to temporarily limiting recreational aeronautical activities that are covered by such restrictions. However, the activities limited by a sponsor should be limited to those falling within the scope of a public health measure by an authority whose jurisdiction covers the airport’s geographic area (e.g., a State or local government).

Looks like they’re possibly telling half truths. The FAA has a listed, current guidance on its web site, and clearly states that nothing there is binding.

The FFC web site does clearly show that a person who works at the airport felt crummy, got tested, tested negative, and seems to have scared the begeezus out of the rest of the staff. I’ll leave my personal opinion out of that part this time; ‘nuff of those discussions on POA.

Self service is still open at nearby airports in southern Atlanta.

Maybe FFC got permission to do so from the FAA, but if not, they need to:

“Prohibiting certain flights (e.g., certain locations, types of aircraft, and types of operations): As is normally the case, actions such as these may violate Federal law and the airport’s grant assurances, unless approved in advance by the FAA (and, in some cases, the Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST) as well). To seek such approval, the airport sponsor should contact the applicable FAA Airports District Office to discuss the matter.”

“State, local, or territorial public health officials may want to screen or quarantine passengers. In most cases, this is likely to be acceptable as long as passengers are not being categorically refused access to air transportation (e.g., through unapproved blanket closures).”

Last edited:
Someone needs to explain to me how flying your own plane solo falls into a public health issue. I just don’t get it.

The attached memo was put out to airport operators by the FAA yesterday. It does not ban all leisure flying.

https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/UPDATED Information for Airport Sponsors Considering COVID-19 Restrictions or Accommodations.pdf

Recreational aeronautical restrictions: Certain States have issued COVID-19 restrictions on activities they deem “non-essential,” including certain aeronautical activities such as flight schools and sky diving. With the goal of keeping airports open to ensure access for the traveling public, emergency and medical equipment and supplies, and emergency transportation, FAA does not object to temporarily limiting recreational aeronautical activities that are covered by such restrictions. However, the activities limited by a sponsor should be limited to those falling within the scope of a public health measure by an authority whose jurisdiction covers the airport’s geographic area (e.g., a State or local government).

translation: you take the blame, not us.

talk about weasel wording.

Someone needs to explain to me how flying your own plane solo falls into a public health issue. I just don’t get it.
Because if you crash, as all small planes always do, you'd endanger first responders?

Knock on wood the fuel is still flowing at FGU...

I'm guessing the hysteria goes like this:
If you crash, you will expose the first responders to your noxious effluents, and if you survive, you will take up hospital bed space for a COVID patient, who apparently deserves it more.

Because if you crash, as all small planes always do, you'd endanger first responders?

While a good in theory...but if that was the actual concern by that argument we should also ban all car travel as well.

...and with the Hospital capacity issue...just stop listening to the Media hype...unless you are in a hotspot region (which truly does have capacity issues), many hospitals nationwide are in a reduced occupancy mode as the Stay at Home orders and non elective surgery postponements are easing the typical patient burden. I know a few nurses that say while they are getting prepared, say they are the slowest they have ever been. The hype you are seeing in the news on select hospitals is NOT indicative of the state of the country as a whole.

That is why there is no one right answer...if you live in NY, Seattle, or SF...stay the F home...if you live in Podunk nowhere USA and can get out with social distancing...NBD in my book. Use common sense.

Last edited:
You will note, my previous post starts with, "I'm guessing the hysteria goes like this:"

Remember, hysteria is the opposite of rationale and logical and common sense.

This strikes me as an airport wanting to limit people working because they don't have enough gas being sold...

Front Range (KCFO) has had 2 people working for the past 3 weeks. One in the office, and one for fueling. The request is to use self-serve if possible, otherwise give a call, and they'll come out with the truck. Since so few are flying, it's not a big deal. You just don't get to use the bathroom with indoor plumbing - the porta-potty is next to the self-serve.

Sounds like local authorities trying to pass the buck.

I'm guessing the hysteria goes like this:
If you crash, you will expose the first responders to your noxious effluents, and if you survive, you will take up hospital bed space for a COVID patient, who apparently deserves it more.

No one said covid patients deserves hospital beds more. But it is reasonable to ask people to stop activities that are considered 'risky'. One could argue that flying is not risky, which is a valid point. But every pilot feels that they are safer than the next guy, including the reckless ones. But accidents continue to happen every day, some even fatal, based on the FAA prelim database.
https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100:93:::NO:::

Back