FSDO differences in interpretation problem.

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
I posted in another forum about renewing my Airworthiness Certificate.

It seems like different FSDO's seem to interpret the rule books differently. Case in hand:

I have a very worn, yellowed and tattered Airworthiness Certificate. I called FSDO and asked if I could come in and exchange it for a new one whilst I wait. "No, you need to bring all the logbooks and we need to have an inspector go through them and see that she's in annual and complied with everything", was the answer. So all of a sudden I've now walked into a potential situation where if the inspector doesn't like the look of my face, or anything in the books (and you can always find something if you look hard enough on 50 year old planes), I'm now facing a full ramp inspection and/or grounding? Just because I wanted a newer copy of an AC I already have? No, I'll stick to the old tattered one, thanks so much.

Then, the FSDO up by my mechanic in NorCal said they'd do it straight away without having to look at logbooks.

Which is correct?

Don't ***** about it!

The little separate fiefdoms have served many owners.

IOW......Don't rock the boat!!!

The later. It seems as the former misunderstood it to be lost certificate, not a replacement.

Last edited:
That's funny my FSDO requested replacing my AW cert,it was the old type and felt it was out dated. This plane was in the middle of a pre buy inspection when they spotted this in the hangar at my local FBO. There was no request to review log books just the usual hastle of forms and paper work shuffle.:rolleyes:

Mine got a new one 10 years or so ago when she was imported back to the US.

When I bought the plane I 5mil laminated the Airworthness and Registration at work, I've done that with this plane and my last one, highly recommend it.

The 2nd is correct. Getting your airworthiness certificate replaced due to it being old/tattered requires no examination of the logbooks.

The only time I got ramp checked was at 65 hours total flying time. As it turned out, the plane I was flying (a club plane) had an airworthiness certificate that was ripped in two. The inspector said "I could make a big deal about this, but I'm not going to. Just tell the club officers when you get back to get this replaced with a new one." So, while the chances of a ramp check are pretty low, having an airworthiness certificate that's tattered could potentially cause an issue for you.

My FSDO was very nice and just mailed me a new Airworthiness Certificate, without requiring that I visit them. That was when I changed my N number -- everything I had read indicated I would have to visit the FSDO but it turned out to be easier.

I'd guess that replacing a yellowed form should be no harder.

When I bought the plane I 5mil laminated the Airworthness and Registration at work, I've done that with this plane and my last one, highly recommend it.

Do your home work, that is illegal.

You have to sign it when you sell the airplane. Thats why its not recommended to laminate it.

You have to sign it when you sell the airplane. Thats why its not recommended to laminate it.

Meh, never been a problem, buying and selling I've always just done the carbon paper and later round filed the old reg, or if you really want you can request a new one online, not a big deal.

As for me, the Airworthness is always laminated as I don't want to deal with replacing it because it gets splashed, same deal but to a lesser extent with the reg, I've never heard of a anyone getting static over laminating, especially for a plane that lands in water.

Back