For Sale FS: Home & Hangar on private airstrip near San Antonio Tx

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
My sister and her husband are selling their 3Br 3Ba 2800 ft^2 home on the Texas Heritage Airport (TE86) on a 2 acre lot with a 50x50ft hangar that has a 40x11 ft Electric Schweiss Bifold door plus a 12x14 vehicle door. This is in a nice gated airport community about 16 nm south of New Braunfels airport (KBAZ) and 20 nm ESE of KSAT. Listed price is $599,000JoesHouse.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/TxHeritageHome

What are the property taxes on that bad boy?

If my wife wasn’t so tied to her social group here in Boerne, we’d have already snatched this up.

According to the monthly tax times 12= $5,868.00.
Taxes were showing 7k something and these days you never know what the assessor will do after a transaction. I’ve seen a lot of 2-4% for property taxes, nuts (considering how little the government does for the community).

Taxes were showing 7k something and these days you never know what the assessor will do after a transaction. I’ve seen a lot of 2-4% for property taxes, nuts (considering how little the government does for the community).

The assessor will set the transaction value as the market value in the next tax year. Wilson County property tax rate is 1.0642% of assessed value. Here’s the tax roll history on the property in question. The last column is assessed value.

d8258d874b0328c31c279f699d128a42.jpg

2023’s tax bill
de15a31ae5537fa8558218c7798ca94e.jpg

The assessor will set the transaction value as the market value in the next tax year. Wilson County property tax rate is 1.0642% of assessed value. Here’s the tax roll history on the property in question. The last column is assessed value.

d8258d874b0328c31c279f699d128a42.jpg

2023’s tax bill
de15a31ae5537fa8558218c7798ca94e.jpg
Some jurisdictions cap the taxable value for homestead, so if you purchased a long time ago, the rate would be super low, and adjusted after a transaction. Too bad there isn’t more clarity on it. Whether the taxes are 5-10k on a 500-600k home is not terrible. I’ve seen some hangar homes around 400k with a 16k annual property tax. I’m not one to want to deal with disputing either, as it’s frankly a waste of time effort and energy too.

It won't be if you purchase at asking..... #caveatemptor

That’s what happens when you live in Comal county. This house is like mine; subject to two CADs. The residential CAD is Guadalupe county and the ISD CAD is Wilson county.

I just peeked at Guadaulpe CADs website for the consolidated bill. Total rate for both CADs at 1.5935%. At full asking that’s just shy $9600 annually, before any exemptions. The full 2023 assessment is below.
292e581d6383dabdcb2baadf1e738482.jpg

If you take the 2023 estimated tax without exemptions, it’s lower than what we just got assessed for with exemptions on a similar market & assessed value property in Bexar Co for property and Kendall for ISD. Our ISD is much higher than what we pay Bexar for all their junk.

Location location location
Weather weather weather

@TCABM , tax rate isn’t everything and some jurisdictions go out of their way to “trick” you, should be a federal standard so it is clear and concise.

Taxable value (half the value of your home - now you cannot dispute it right?)

x local multiplier (2) x street multiplier (1.25) x school multiplier blah

With all of the multipliers (which are not uniform for entire jurisdictions), now you are paying what 2%+ in annual property taxes which is absurd.

@TCABM , tax rate isn’t everything and some jurisdictions go out of their way to “trick” you, should be a federal standard so it is clear and concise.

I’m not arguing tax policy.

The pertinent property tax information to include effective rate is posted and publicly available on the Guadalupe CAD website searching by address.

Don't forget, this fall there is a Texas Constitutional referendum on expanding the maximum amount that can be claimed for the Homestead exemption. There are other taxpayer friendly goodies in the package too!
Vote, if you live here.
INFO: Texas Proposition 4.

A "yes" vote supports amending the state constitution to:

• increase the homestead tax exemption from $40,000 to $100,000;
  • authorize the state legislature to limit the annual appraisal increase on non-homestead real property;
  • exclude appropriations made to increase state education funding from the state appropriations limit; and
  • authorize the state legislature to provide for four-year terms for members of the governing body of an appraisal entity in counties with a population of 75,000 or more.

Don't forget, this fall there is a Texas Constitutional referendum on expanding the maximum amount that can be claimed for the Homestead exemption. There are other taxpayer friendly goodies in the package too!
Vote, if you live here.
INFO: Texas Proposition 4.

A "yes" vote supports amending the state constitution to:

• increase the homestead tax exemption from $40,000 to $100,000;
  • authorize the state legislature to limit the annual appraisal increase on non-homestead real property;
  • exclude appropriations made to increase state education funding from the state appropriations limit; and
  • authorize the state legislature to provide for four-year terms for members of the governing body of an appraisal entity in counties with a population of 75,000 or more.
Why is any of that part of the state constitution? :confused2:

Why is any of that part of the state constitution? :confused2:

You’d have to understand history here. Without going politics, our post-reconstruction constitutions were works in progress. The 1869 constitution was a “big government” constitution that was a piecemeal effort to fix the 1866 version; in practice, the state governments operating under both constitutions were hostile to the (limited) citizenry, made big promises and, of the ones kept, kept then in the worst way possible, resulting in a lack of trust in state government.

In 1875, yet another state Constitutional Convention was called and a very restrictive constitution was put in place. Due to abuses under the reconstruction constitutions, the Necessary and Proper clause was removed, necessitating amendments for most changes to government powers to be ratified by a simple majority of voters. Amendments are voted on every other year during state elections. As a result, as of the 2022 elections, there are now 517 amendments of 700 proposed. Yea verily, it’s a mess and as such continues to restrict the powers of the three branches and limit terms of offices and legislative sessions.

Several efforts have since been made to hold yet modernize/streamline our state government. We came close in 1974, even holding another state Constitutional Convention. That effort failed and the eight major articles were put to voters to effectively re-write the constitution by amendment. All eight failed miserably.

There have been a couple more attempts since, none having made it out of committee. Keeping in mind recent history, it’s unlikely another attempt will be made anytime soon.

You’d have to understand history here. Without going politics, our post-reconstruction constitutions were works in progress. The 1869 constitution was a “big government” constitution that was a piecemeal effort to fix the 1866 version; in practice, the state governments operating under both constitutions were hostile to the (limited) citizenry, made big promises and, of the ones kept, kept then in the worst way possible, resulting in a lack of trust in state government.

In 1875, yet another state Constitutional Convention was called and a very restrictive constitution was put in place. Due to abuses under the reconstruction constitutions, the Necessary and Proper clause was removed, necessitating amendments for most changes to government powers to be ratified by a simple majority of voters. Amendments are voted on every other year during state elections. As a result, as of the 2022 elections, there are now 517 amendments of 700 proposed. Yea verily, it’s a mess and as such continues to restrict the powers of the three branches and limit terms of offices and legislative sessions.

Several efforts have since been made to hold yet modernize/streamline our state government. We came close in 1974, even holding another state Constitutional Convention. That effort failed and the eight major articles were put to voters to effectively re-write the constitution by amendment. All eight failed miserably.

There have been a couple more attempts since, none having made it out of committee. Keeping in mind recent history, it’s unlikely another attempt will be made anytime soon.

You remember our Texas history better than me. Then again, I think I have had more time to forget...

My favorite example is the constitutional amendment required to allow ATMs, because they were considered bank branches, which were unconstitutional at the time.

I'm not opposed to limiting the amount a government entity can tax me. I agree that it seems cumbersome to ensconce limits in a state constitution, but then again, it sure makes it harder to rescind those new tax breaks!

Reactions: cdb
With all of the multipliers (which are not uniform for entire jurisdictions), now you are paying what 2%+ in annual property taxes which is absurd.
While 2% is definitely absurd, a lot of us in NJ would dearly love to have our property taxes slashed all the way down to 2%.

While 2% is definitely absurd, a lot of us in NJ would dearly love to have our property taxes slashed all the way down to 2%.
In some parts of the world, property taxes are what a tenth of a percent. So any percent is ridiculous, especially given the city services are lacking and of poor quality.

Reactions: cdb
But it's worth it for that Northeastern exceptionalism. High wages, high housing costs, "excellent" schools, low military participation on a per capita basis; you know upward mobility shangri-la.

/sarc

Here in the Glorious People's Republic of Kalifornia, we get to pay both high property taxes and high income taxes.

Here in the Glorious People's Republic of Kalifornia, we get to pay both high property taxes and high income taxes.
Don’t forget the tax on food, which I still can’t get my mind to understand the theory on.

Don’t forget the tax on food, which I still can’t get my mind to understand the theory on.
Because they can. There’s no tax on unprocessed food but if it’s been processed you pay the regular sales tax nigh upon 10%.

Returning to the original topic. I was interested in this property but by the time I contacted an agent it was already under contract with 3 backup offers. Better luck next time.

Just prepared food, and even then, not all prepared food.

Labor charges aren’t taxed as a sale, either. The Texas tax code is strange, indeed. Except the part about no income tax.

I was born and grew up, here did the .mil thing and came back here. My total state tax burden with relatively equivalent market value homes in CO vs TX is still lower in Texas than it was/would be in CO simply due to income tax vs no income tax.

Just prepared food, and even then, not all prepared food.

Labor charges aren’t taxed as a sale, either. The Texas tax code is strange, indeed. Except the part about no income tax.

I was born and grew up, here did the .mil thing and came back here. My total state tax burden with relatively equivalent market value homes in CO vs TX is still lower in Texas than it was/would be in CO simply due to income tax vs no income tax.

I think he was referring to Kalifornia. NM has a gross receipts tax, which includes groceries, dr visits, etc.

Here, you are correct. Warm tamales and tortillas are prepared, and you get taxed. Refrigerated and they are groceries, and no tax. Guess which my wife buys and brings home and immediately puts in the refigerator.

Because they can. There’s no tax on unprocessed food but if it’s been processed you pay the regular sales tax nigh upon 10%.

Returning to the original topic. I was interested in this property but by the time I contacted an agent it was already under contract with 3 backup offers. Better luck next time.
Latest update. The contract fell through so it’s back on the market. I’m the meantime, I found out about a true hangar home that has great curb appeal north of San Antonio. It’s quite a bit more expensive than the first one but so far I’ve won the Kalifornia Real Estate lottery.

Latest update. The contract fell through so it’s back on the market. I’m the meantime, I found out about a true hangar home that has great curb appeal north of San Antonio. It’s quite a bit more expensive than the first one but so far I’ve won the Kalifornia Real Estate lottery.

5C1 or Kestrel?

I think he was referring to Kalifornia. NM has a gross receipts tax, which includes groceries, dr visits, etc.

Here, you are correct. Warm tamales and tortillas are prepared, and you get taxed. Refrigerated and they are groceries, and no tax. Guess which my wife buys and brings home and immediately puts in the refigerator.
When I'm able to come home (KVCT) and visit an HEB, the fresh tortillas don't always make it long enough to see the kitchen counter much less the fridge.

The first time I took my wife (from Virginia) to Texas she was shocked at the 8% sales tax at the bottom of the Walmart receipt. Sales tax in Virginia at the time was around 4.5% if I recall correctly. Then I explained that I didn't pay a grocery tax, a food prep tax, a paper goods tax, or a "misc" tax like we did for similar purchases in Virginia. All-in-all the total receipt tax was still significantly less than Virginia. Oh...and I don't pay state income tax. And diesel is way cheaper.

This is making me homesick. Cape Cod is an expensive place to live and there's no good Mexican food so far as I've found.

Are the backup offers still on the table?

I'm not opposed to limiting the amount a government entity can tax me. I agree that it seems cumbersome to ensconce limits in a state constitution, but then again, it sure makes it harder to rescind those new tax breaks!
Several states (including Ohio, where I reside) have weird stuff in their constitutions that really should just be in their codes.

Cannot be compared with the *real* constitution.

Back