From the morning Drudge feed - LIVING PLANET: Stunning shots across the globe...

Beautiful shots, those. The captions? One of them is a bit of a head-scratcher...
Miles Morgan trekked to the foothills of Mount Whitney in California to get this stormy image. It is the tallest peak in the U.S. state, topping out at ‎6,100 feet.

Ummm.... err, what? (insert non-existent head-scratching smilie) ;)

The start of the Mt. Whitney trail is at an elevation of 8k or so and climbs 6k to the summit of 14,500. That is probably where they 6k figure came from. Yes I know it's still considered ground on top but was easier to say agl than peak to surrounding land ratio. Figured us smart pilot types could figure that out.

The start of the Mt. Whitney trail is at an elevation of 8k or so and climbs 6k to the summit of 14,500. That is probably where they 6k figure came from. Yes I know it's still considered ground on top but was easier to say agl than peak to surrounding land ratio. Figured us smart pilot types could figure that out.
Thanks for the clarification. Well okay, if they meant "elevation gain hiking to the summit on the trail", but neither the caption nor the photo itself suggest that. By itself, "tops out at 6100 feet" is just plain wrong.

BTW, I was ribbing you with the "err, what?"... hence the winkie. ;)

Miles Morgan trekked to the foothills of Mount Whitney in California to get this stormy image. It is the tallest peak in the U.S. state, topping out at ‎6,100 feet.

Which is still approximately 500 feet below my house... :lol::lol:

Back