Friendly / non-ornery controllers

PHX Approach has always been very accommodating, whether passing through the bravo transition or getting FF for a XC

I almost threw up reading this:confused::p

I haven't been in their area in a couple of years so maybe it's improved a little, but I used to transit their area Texas to California quite a few times a few years back. It was ALWAYS a nightmare with PHX, several times asking me if I can take a vector to avoid an approach path (which I wasn't near) only to be told 10 minutes later "squawk VFR, services terminated, you're outside our area". I'd call up ABQ CTR to re-establish as PHX was only a handoff and ABQ would indicate those ^%$%@'s were ALWAYS doing that trick ...

Apparently PHX got their peepees smacked for providing less than exemplary service, especially with that one guy who CFIT'ed while trying to navigate the narrow space east of the B and above the cumulogranite at night. Personally I've never had a problem with them.

I've witnessed very few ornery controllers. Mostly have seen controllers dropping the usual courteous tone or voicing cadence when overloaded for reasons of efficiency.

This is 100% understandable. There are times when Controllers never have a chance to take a breath, just slammed with no dead air time. Especially in confined busy Bravo airspace like KSFO in San Francisco peninsula area as an example.

I remember talking with the airport manager for KOLM a number of years ago. We have a contract tower here and he said that customer service is the number one requirement for controllers in the tower. Based on my 20+ years of flying based at KOLM, he nailed that one. I've never had anything but outstanding service from them.

We’re getting closer. The score stands at Ornery Controllers, 49 replies. Friendly / non-ornery controllers, 43

Back