Freight Dogs

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
So this thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/hauling-checks.136006/ got me wondering how many old freight dogs are on here.

I'll start.

Year(s): 1986 - 1988
Route: Initially PWM, BDR, BOS, BDL, PYM
Equip: PA-30
FIKI: No <Boots, Hot Props>
Avionics: 2 NAV/Comm, 1 ADF, <DME - No; Autopilot - No;>
Thunderstorm detection / avoidance - ADF and eyesight (corrected to 20/20).
Schedule - Not bad initially - Mon - Thur 1800 - 0300. Fru 1900 - 2359.

I hauled checks in the late 80’s. Was flying the C310 and Navajo Chieftain.
Couldn’t tell you about equipment, as the companies I flew for had several airplanes with various configurations

I will say this… before I did that job, I *thought* I knew how to fly IFR. Boy did I learn…

I made it through 2+ years, late ‘90 to early ‘93 flying for US Check, later to become Airnet. A great outfit to fly for with no pilot pushing by maintenance or dispatch.

My initial 135 checkouts were Aerostar, Baron 58, C-310R, though most of my time was in the 310 (2400 hrs) out of Omaha. Usual run was OMA-DSM-STP, but also covered MKC, LNK, FSD, SUX, RST, MDW. It was a very nonstandard fleet with no two ships alike, bare bones equipped and no autopilot, but they were good for known ice. It was a great job to build ME time and experience, but damn, I don’t think I’d ever want to go back and do it again…

Ok all youse Freight Dogs. How many of you have fell asleep at the wheel? C'mon now, fess up:D

I did! But, only briefly… if I dozed and the plane started to “drift” a bit, the props would go out of sync and wake me back up. Plus, in the back of my mind was this guy flying my run 2-3 years previously; he made a smoking hole…

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/34505/pdf
Ouch. I've had a few doze out on mid shifts. There was one going to Burbank KBUR who flew right on past it. Woke up a ways south in Los Angeles' sky. He lucked out and only got fired. There's a story about another one from years earlier. Same situation, going into BUR. LA Approach had a DC8 that was pointed kinda at him. They got him to turn a few degrees right at him and flash their landing lights. It worked. Don't remember what the outcome was. Probably got fired to.

Ok all youse Freight Dogs. How many of you have fell asleep at the wheel? C'mon now, fess up:D
Honestly, never even got tired. The type of flying was simply too challenging most of the time… at least the routes I flew. Lots of UCA, TEB, HFD, EWR, SYR, ROC, ALB, and BOS.

ETA… SWF. At the time that was always a full approach.

The only time I'll admit to falling asleep, my head dropped forward and I cracked my forehead on the yoke. Woke me up quick.!!

I flew C-210s, no two equipped alike, basic radio, ADF, no A/P, strike finder, no clock.

The company I flew for gave pilots 2 different routes and we changed up each week. It was explained to us 2 routes would keep us from getting bored.

I went from Bessemer, AL to Longview, TX to Baton Rouge, AL back to Bessemer. My second route went from Bessemer, AL to Sanford, FL to Brooksville, FL to Mobile Downtown, AL to Bessemer. Route 1 left at 6am, route 2 left at 6pm.

Yes, I really learned to fly IFR, talk on the radio and to deal with thunderstorms. I also learned that the checks didn't complain about the ride or delays. But the folks on the ground sure cared about being 3 minutes late.!!

I’ve flown a lot of dead bodies, do those count as freight?
They count as a Soul on Board also. Don't wanna crash, have SAR or the Crash Crew get there, count the bodies and say, ok, we found them all, and then quit looking for someone who may still be in there.

I’ve flown a lot of dead bodies, do those count as freight?

Always nice to have a backhaul. Freight and groceries outbound. HR on the way back. $$$ both directions. Done it several times. The body bag fits nicely on one side of a 207 with seats for family of the deceased on the other side.

were they dead at the beginning of the flight?

We loaded a patient that was very heavy. That person suddenly passed away before engine start. The medics did all that they could do to revive the patient but unfortunately it was that persons time. Then we had to deplane the body, learning what dead weight is really about...

Fortunately in the air ambulance business no one dies in the airplane...... officially. The doctor at the hospital makes that call.

Unofficially, I have had a few patients expire during the flight.

And yes, dead bodies are included in the soul count, but in the remarks section of the flight plan I would add 1 db on board.

We loaded a patient that was very heavy. That person suddenly passed away before engine start. The medics did all that they could do to revive the patient but unfortunately it was that persons time. Then we had to deplane the body, learning what dead weight is really about...

Fortunately in the air ambulance business no one dies in the airplane...... officially. The doctor at the hospital makes that call.

Unofficially, I have had a few patients expire during the flight.

And yes, dead bodies are included in the soul count, but in the remarks section of the flight plan I would add 1 db on board.
If I looked up and saw a freakin bear behind the wheel, I'd probably croak to [thinking to self, thats a pretty lame joke] Ah, eff it <enter>

I hauled checks in the late 80’s. Was flying the C310 and Navajo Chieftain.
Couldn’t tell you about equipment, as the companies I flew for had several airplanes with various configurations

I will say this… before I did that job, I *thought* I knew how to fly IFR. Boy did I learn…

You have that right. I flew checks for a bank between Bakersfield and Stockton and an occasional flight to Lancaster. The entire flight was IMC from taxi onto the runway to touchdown. Most of my (non-instructing) actual instrument time was done on that route...

Back