Freeing a frozen nut (aluminum) on steel threads

Or just spend the $10 to get a new nut off a replacement unit, and cut/split the old one off.

No fuss, no muss, and perhaps you can even chase the threads (or just wire brush them) and get all the crap out.

Exactly, at this point the original is already damaged, if the original is important I'd try vinegar at this point and try the chemical approach rather than physical.

Have you considered welding a pivot bar on it to serve as an over the top breaker? You'd have to cut the weld and clean up when done, but it might just save the nut.

Stillson Wrench. If that does not work get a bigger Stillson wrench

Stillson Wrench. If that does not work get a bigger Stillson wrench

That works only if you need to remove at the cost of complete destruction of whatever it is fastened to, because eventually the tubing, blade, or fitting will twist against what is holding it.

So some quick reading and it looks like the nut is not just a normal nut, but a self locking nut. Here is a catalog for mil spec fasteners from 1975. On page 10 it shows a self locking aluminum nut. If this is what was used then an exact replacement could certainly be found. Sounds like you want this to be a perfect restoration so… :dunno:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conte...ainment/product-support/Service-News/V2N3.pdf

The great POA technical challenge. We should have one a day.:)

I would have cut the nut off long ago and bought another tool and stole the nut from it.
It would still be 90% dad's tool.
I do understand and wish you luck.

I would have cut the nut off long ago and bought another tool and stole the nut from it.
It would still be 90% dad's tool.
I do understand and wish you luck.
more than that, with a new nut it will work the way it did for dad. the original Al nut is never going to be right.

:idea: Take a 9v battery, put negative wire on the shaft, the positive wire on the nut, then put it in a bucket of vinegar. I bet it comes loose in 10 minutes and works.

Back