Free FR

Slow is good for pictures, bad for fuel economy. Might be really good for spirals to landing.

Power off 180s end up running out of elevator and very flat landings. Almost three pointers.

One of my instructors said “make sure that elevator is all the way back”, so I had him pull on it. He chuckled. It was all the way back.

I also let him demo one and he had the same problem. Heh.

If you didn’t have it all the way back, it’d be whacking the nose gear which of course, is a no-no in anything but wrinkles firewalls in 182s if you do it hard enough...

@denverpilot If I was to do your FR, I think I would have you do commercial maneuvers under the hood to standards. Whatcha think about that? LOL Too mean? In your 182 to! You young CFI's need to be taught the right way. :D

I haven;t done stalls under the hood myself. Interesting idea. I have done chandelles with primary students under the hood. That is fun for me.

David

That's pretty much what the ATP flight test is, plus some approaches...

I haven;t done stalls under the hood myself.
Really? That's a bit surprising. I did those during my instrument training, still do them annually as part of a club requirement, and sometimes include them when I give IPCs, particularly when I combine an IPC with a FR.

Last edited:
Back