"Frankenstorm"

This is not your average hurricane.

The problem is......it is going to be worse out here than in Norfolk. There is no way for us to outrun the storm surge of this thing and it is going to eventually merge with another weather system to the northeast. The few of us out to sea right now (they wisely cancelled the sortie plans for the rest of the fleet) are going to get the crap beat out of us.

I'll keep ya'll posted.....assuming we can maintain connectivity!

Send...pics...

It does have a very large wind 'footprint' if you will.

11AM update has landfall farther south by 30mi or so.

Last edited:
It does have a very large wind 'footprint' if you will.
Problem for us isn't the wind as it is the seas. The storm surge on this puppy is ridiculous. I'm on a big deck amphibious assault ship, so while it looks impossbible to avoid greater than 12 foot seas, we'll survive it fine....may loose some sleep and it may take us a full week to circumnavigate the thing. Problem is the little Frigate that is travelling with us - those poor bastards are going to get beat on and there is nothing we can do to avoid it.

Problem for us isn't the wind as it is the seas. The storm surge on this puppy is ridiculous. I'm on a big deck amphibious assault ship, so while it looks impossbible to avoid greater than 12 foot seas, we'll survive it fine....may loose some sleep and it may take us a full week to circumnavigate the thing. Problem is the little Frigate that is travelling with us - those poor bastards are going to get beat on and there is nothing we can do to avoid it.

12 foot seas? On a LPH??? What does that monster displace? 10,000 tons? Be safe. :D

12 foot seas? On a LPH??? What does that monster displace? 10,000 tons? Be safe. :D
LHD...all the LPH's are long gone. We displace about 40,000 tons full load. We are a bit under that right now. And 12 foot seas are no big deal for us......But the issue is the poor little Frigate that we have with us - about 450' with 45' beam and a single screw. Those guys are going to be hating life.

I blame the republicans
Nah, this is a big Obama conspiracy.....my early voting ballot arrived in the mail while I was out to sea. And now, due to the storm diversion, I won't get back into port to mail it in time to meet the deadline.

Looks like no vote for me....

To give you an idea of how wide-spread the impact of this thing is, here is the noon forecast of the storm track:
153841W_sm.gif

Now look closely at the longitude lines at the bottom. We are being told to go all the way out to 055 W to stay out of the storm surge. That's a loooong way!

Well guess who isn't pulling into home port today.......this guy.

I HATE hurricanes!

That blows. I woke up yesterday morning to a text from the opso asking if I wanted to take a jet to key west for the hurrevac and what my ETA would be.....as in as soon as I could get my bags packed. Cancelled my weekend plans, consoled the wife, and was wheels up 3 hours later. Probably the most last minute 1000 nm cross country I have ever done. Basically filed direct NPA, gas, direct Navy Key West. Flight planning complete :) 3 1/2 hrs later I was in the break at KNQX, just in time to hit Duval. I will pour out a drink for you guys out there doing God's work tonight.

Last edited:
LHD...all the LPH's are long gone. We displace about 40,000 tons full load. We are a bit under that right now. And 12 foot seas are no big deal for us......But the issue is the poor little Frigate that we have with us - about 450' with 45' beam and a single screw. Those guys are going to be hating life.

Yeah that isn't a comfortable ride. ....just a side note. 12ft seas were nearly heaven sent operating conditions when flying off the 38X60 flight deck of a 2800 ton, 40ft beam 378ft cutter in the Bering Sea. :D

Yeah that isn't a comfortable ride. ....just a side note. 12ft seas were nearly heaven sent operating conditions when flying off the 38X60 flight deck of a 2800 ton, 40ft beam 378ft cutter in the Bering Sea. :D
It's all relative right! :D

On a serious note, we used to not care as much about sea state and weather, but after experiencing serious hull cracks on the destroyers and smaller ships, the Navy has become a bit more conservative with respects to weather avoidance.

Sure there is, put the seas on the stbd quarter and drive her on the most peaceful tack the quickest path to calm waters where you put it on your stern. That will bring you comfortably into port on a following sea on about the same schedule you're talking about now. Everybody sleeps, nobody gets hurt, the cargo and equipment don't get beat up.

Sure there is, put the seas on the stbd quarter and drive her on the most peaceful tack the quickest path to calm waters where you put it on your stern. That will bring you comfortably into port on a following sea on about the same schedule you're talking about now. Everybody sleeps, nobody gets hurt, the cargo and equipment don't get beat up.

It's funny, all you sailors have a lingo of your own -- just like pilots.

Right now we are chock full of sailors who just finished the "Harvest Moon Regatta" -- the largest sailboat race in the Gulf of Mexico.

These guys all looked like they went ten rounds with Joe Frazier when they checked in. We had an enormous cold front blow through here yesterday, with howling Northeast winds and a temperature drop from 89 to 56 degrees.

Needless to say, they have had an "interesting" race, with participants seeking shelter where they could. One guest reported a broken rudder...

Sent from my Nexus 7

That blows. I woke up yesterday morning to a text from the opso asking if I wanted to take a jet to key west for the hurrevac and what my ETA would be.....as in as soon as I could get my bags packed. Cancelled my weekend plans, consoled the wife, and was wheels up 3 hours later. Probably the most last minute 1000 nm cross country I have ever done. Basically filed direct NPA, gas, direct Navy Key West. Flight planning complete :) 3 1/2 hrs later I was in the break at KNQX, just in time to hit Duval. I will pour out a drink for you guys out there doing God's work tonight.

Oh my, potential for a legendary weekend. Had a couple of those hurrevac good deals, now I get to help all the senior citizens pull their boats for a fun filled Saturday.

Is the Oop-star-RAY still around? Best petting zoo ever . . . or so I hear.

It's all relative right! :D

On a serious note, we used to not care as much about sea state and weather, but after experiencing serious hull cracks on the destroyers and smaller ships, the Navy has become a bit more conservative with respects to weather avoidance.

Yeah...it is always the best plan to avoid the bumpy parts if possible. But for some reason most of our business seemed to center around just those parts. :dunno: Be safe.

Is the Oop-star-RAY still around? Best petting zoo ever . . . or so I hear.

Not sure what that is, but I put my hands on the sexiest jet that ever graced the big decks.....RA-5C right by the gate. God it looks fast even as a gate guard. I even explained its honorable history to my friends as we walked by (single ship road recce and a whole lot of combat losses as singles alone and un-afraid)

KGON 282031Z 2821/2918 05020G29KT P6SM OVC025
FM282200 04026G37KT P6SM OVC020
FM290000 04032G44KT 6SM -RA OVC015
FM291200 03035G50KT 6SM -RA OVC015
FM291500 03038G55KT 5SM RA OVC010

NWS is saying steady 40kts gusting to 80. Fun fun!

Everything around the house in a building or tied down, car we want to sell parked under the big tree, all the powerboats pulled, hurricane lines on the sailboat.

Food, booze, propane for the generator, bunch of stuff to watch on the network drive, used FoxFi for the first time today to see if that works :)yes:).

Will check the winds in the am and decide on making the trek to install spoilers on the plane, but otherwise we are set.

:popcorn:

To all of the POA members in harms way.... I am wishing you the best. My guess is the storm will fritter out and turn into a typical summer thunderstorm... if it spools up... all bets are off.:hairraise:

de5avape.jpg

That's more like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got word that the replica HMS Bounty sank off Hatteras last night. Crew had to abandon ship and was rescued, but the ship is gone.

I have no clue what on earth they were thinking, but they were coming from Europe and tried to cross the T.......at a top speed of 8 kts!

As part of the standard good natured inter-service rivarly, I routinely give the Coasties a hard time, but I'd give a definite BZ to the USCG guys who picked them up!

Just got word that the replica HMS Bounty sank off Hatteras last night. Crew had to abandon ship and was rescued, but the ship is gone.

I have no clue what on earth they were thinking, but they were coming from Europe and tried to cross the T.......at a top speed of 8 kts!

As part of the standard good natured inter-service rivarly, I routinely give the Coasties a hard time, but I'd give a definite BZ to the USCG guys who picked them up!

I read about that case this AM. WTF?? :dunno: No one in the right mind would have attempted that trip. I never minded working a legitimate SAR case, but I have to admit there were times when I felt a little miffed that I had to put my crew's lives on the line for someone that Darwin sorely needed to educate.

The graveyard of the atlantic is not a good place to be during a hurricane.

My son lives and works in Manhattan. He called yesterday to say that he and three friends were evacuating to Brooklyn. He said that they had stocked up on enough food to last three days. I asked him about water, and he said that they had wine. He said that the last time that a hurricane was supposed to hit NYC it turned into a rain storm, but this one seems much more serious. Anyway, he said that he was holed up in Brooklyn, and he would call us when it was over.

I read about that case this AM. WTF?? :dunno: No one in the right mind would have attempted that trip. I never minded working a legitimate SAR case, but I have to admit there were times when I felt a little miffed that I had to put my crew's lives on the line for someone that Darwin sorely needed to educate.

Considering the physical extent of the storm, did they have the speed to get out of its way even if they tried?

From a news article:

The director of the HMS Bounty Organization, Tracie Simonin, told the Associated Press that the ship left Connecticut last week for St. Petersburg, Fla.

"They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center," she said. "They were trying to make it around the storm."

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012...n-distress-off-north-carolina-with-17-aboard/

Maybe they should have gone north to nova scotia and battened down there

I downloaded this plot of recent positions from the organization's Web site:

attachment.php

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/location.php

A message on their discussion site:

Post subject: WEATHERING THE STORM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Bounty spent this past weekend in New London, CT. and left yesterday to head south to St Petersburg, Fla. We had a great time during our stay and spent time with some of the U.S. Navy on the ship. While we were there this week we took out the crew of the USS Mississippi for a sailing lesson. They were part of our crew climbing the rigging and furling sails. It was great! Thank you for joining us.

Bounty is 100 miles off shore and is running 8.6 knots on a course south by west. First heading due East to avoid the brunt of the storm. We have the best Captain to ever sail the 7 seas! We will keep you posted of her progress. God speed and may the winds be fairer than expected.

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=587

Attachments

• 508ea820_540c_0.png
    508ea820_540c_0.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Considering the physical extent of the storm, did they have the speed to get out of its way even if they tried?

From a news article:

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012...n-distress-off-north-carolina-with-17-aboard/

First I know nothing about the vessel or crew, but at first blush these are my impressions: Considering the speed, track and extent of the storm, and the performance of that vessel, they should have stayed in port, or once it became obvious they could not outreach the storm, to head for a port.

My son lives and works in Manhattan. He called yesterday to say that he and three friends were evacuating to Brooklyn. He said that they had stocked up on enough food to last three days. I asked him about water, and he said that they had wine. He said that the last time that a hurricane was supposed to hit NYC it turned into a rain storm, but this one seems much more serious. Anyway, he said that he was holed up in Brooklyn, and he would call us when it was over.

At least the kid has his priorities straight.

If it's of any comfort, the NYC water system is mainly fed by gravity. I'd say if there's anything predictable about NYC, it's that there will be water in the tap.

Up here, roughly 140 SM NNW of NYC, it's starting to get a bit nasty, and people are starting to get even more nervous. I think there's some PTSD going on, too: A lot of folks here lost a lot to Irene, and this brings up a lot of bad memories.

1.jpg

That was at Wal-Mart late last night.

Here are three pictures from about an hour ago, while I was on my way back from the Credit Union.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The power went out briefly, but came back up again. Current conditions according to my home weather thingy are:

Temp: 51 F
Barometric Pressure: 29.10 inHg and falling
Relative Humidity: 85%

Winds (from NOAA): NNE 22 G37

-Rich

I downloaded this plot of recent positions from the organization's Web site:

attachment.php

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/location.php

A message on their discussion site:

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=587

Bounty spent this past weekend in New London, CT. and left yesterday to head south to St Petersburg, Fla. We had a great time during our stay and spent time with some of the U.S. Navy on the ship. While we were there this week we took out the crew of the USS Mississippi for a sailing lesson. They were part of our crew climbing the rigging and furling sails. It was great! Thank you for joining us.

Bounty is 100 miles off shore and is running 8.6 knots on a course south by west. First heading due East to avoid the brunt of the storm. We have the best Captain to ever sail the 7 seas! We will keep you posted of her progress. God speed and may the winds be fairer than expected.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Absolute IDIOTS !!!!!!!!
The storm had formed by then.. In fact ALL the computer models agreed on the basic track and these IDIOTS left a safe port and sailed directly into the the hurricane.. Ya know.. I hate to be cold but......... Darwin won again.:yes::eek:

The lights keep going out and then come back on. I jump every time they go. We don't want to go to sleep, don't want to stay up all night. We get periods of calm and periods of really strong wind. Almost no rain.

I stayed home from work because of an early morning email saying all the servers and workstations were to be turned off and stay off until further notice. Hubby went to work and was nearly the only one there. Had to work his way around downed trees to get home.

Nothing on the TV except non-stop weather reports of someone standing next to a beach or bridge breathlessly telling us to stay inside. We're warm and dry and have plenty of food and water. Just want it to stop so we can relax.

Last edited:
After having lived in New England for 18 years and enduring many many nor'easters and the abuse you get from them - the wind the snow the miserable weather . . . .

I learned to simply start a fire in the wood stove, get it good and hot before I went to sleep and then simply put the earplugs in.

If I woke up in the morning and there was no power it was easy enough to get the fire going again from the embers - and then we could make coffee on the wood stove - then we bought a diesel generator so we could use the heating oil to power the generator - and I did not worry about anything except the ear plugs . . .

The lights keep going out and then come back on. I jump every time they go. We don't want to go to sleep, don't want to stay up all night. We get periods of calm and periods of really strong wind. Almost no rain.

I stayed home from work because of an early morning email saying all the servers and workstations were to be turned off and stay off until further notice. Hubby went to work and was nearly the only one there. Had to work his way around downed trees to get home.

Nothing on the TV except non-stop weather reports of someone standing next to a beach or bridge breathlessly telling us to stay inside. We're warm and dry and have plenty of food and water. Just want it to stop so we can relax.

140 SM NNW of NYC:

OAT: 57F
Bar: 28.87 Falling
Hum: 94%
Winds: ENE 28G46

A few trees down. Alternating torrential and light rain. Couple of power flickers now and then. River still looks okay, although there's a watch in effect. Cappuccino is holding up.

-Rich

Last edited:

This is what we get almost every year in the south during hurricane season, when Jim Cantore shows up, you're screwed! :mad2:
Good luck!

Here in western pa, it's starting to wind up. Heavy rains and solid winds are steady now and winds 30G55 are expected through the night. Not too bad considering what coast got. Have in-laws on Jersey coast, but all is well there for now.

Wind is biggest concern with rain soaked ground. We lost a 50' tree awhile back in these conditions. Hope everyone pulls through tonight. Be safe!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Absolute IDIOTS !!!!!!!!
The storm had formed by then.. In fact ALL the computer models agreed on the basic track and these IDIOTS left a safe port and sailed directly into the the hurricane.. Ya know.. I hate to be cold but......... Darwin won again.:yes::eek:

Yeah, an 80 boat(Edit: just read another article that listed the length as 180ft. Anyone know the true dimension?? 180 puts this in another realm. has no business out in that stuff. Be interesting to hear what the inquiry, (and there WILL be one), says.

Last edited:
The true harbinger of doom is not Jim Cantore but Mike Seidel - when he shows up you know its time to get very worried . . .

This is what we get almost every year in the south during hurricane season, when Jim Cantore shows up, you're screwed! :mad2:
Good luck!

Here at the Jersey Shore it is brutal. My parents are taking a beating from tree damage but we are okay so far.

Back