Frank

witt42

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
Recently purchased a C-150K. I noticed that the valve stem cap was missing on the nose wheel. With a cap on it hits the nose fork. Obviously it has the wrong tube installed. In tube searching I see the 500:5 tire shows a TR-87 and TR-67 tube. I contacted Desser Tire and was told the TR-87
"MIGHT" fit with a shorter stem but no guarantee. I would like to know what "WILL" fit not might fit.

Recently purchased a C-150K. I noticed that the valve stem cap was missing on the nose wheel. With a cap on it hits the nose fork. Obviously it has the wrong tube installed. In tube searching I see the 500:5 tire shows a TR-87 and TR-67 tube. I contacted Desser Tire and was told the TR-87
"MIGHT" fit with a shorter stem but no guarantee. I would like to know what "WILL" fit not might fit.

Typical "first owner" that wants his baby to be perfect. Lots of chances to spend kilo$$bucks on your airplane that you think has the wrong tube. Wait a year and then tell us how much this valve stem cap makes a difference.

Jim

Typical "first owner" that wants his baby to be perfect. Lots of chances to spend kilo$$bucks on your airplane that you think has the wrong tube. Wait a year and then tell us how much this valve stem cap makes a difference.

Jim

HOLY **** BATMAN I've been flying 12 years and NEVER SEEN A CARGO NET :hairraise:

Jim

Typical old pilot/mechanic who thinks he knows everything. Have a valve stem catch a wheel pant and rip out, then see how much difference it makes. happened to me ONCE.

Jim

I prefer to put the correct parts on my plane too, glad to know I'm a 'typical' first plane owner. Don't want to be the odd man out.

Typical old pilot/mechanic who thinks he knows everything. Have a valve stem catch a wheel pant and rip out, then see how much difference it makes. happened to me ONCE.
I'm in Bart's corner -- this is the sort of thing you need to fix before something bad happens. Flying without the cover isn't the answer -- clearly, either it's the wrong tube for your plane, or something down there isn't adjusted right. I'm all in favor of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but this is clearly broke, and you need to figure out exactly what's wrong before what happened to Bart happens to you.

And this is from an old pilot (albeit not a mechanic), who believes that much of the reason he's an old pilot is that he was not bold about flying broke airplanes over the last 45 years.

It also sounds to me like you need to fix it. Tubes aren't cheap, but a blowout on landing might be more excitement than you bargained for.

Back