Doggtyred

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Whats the failure? Wastegate?

https://imgur.com/r/flying/XxtsiM1

XxtsiM1.jpg

I thought "waste gate" referred to a turbocharger. Not to mean that they are one and the same but as part of the turbo system.

I'm guessing waste gate/turbo output/induction leak....It appears the MP is less on the right engine with the throttle fully advanced.

I'm guessing waste gate/turbo output/induction leak....It appears the MP is less on the right engine with the throttle fully advanced.
I can't find the Reddit thread this was on, but you are correct that he said it was a forced induction system failure. The right engine would only get to standard pressure so he had to pull the left throttle back to equalize.

Edit: Found it- "This is a turbo failure but not a complete one. The photo is at 11,500' and so the right turbo is actually still producing boost here. The waste gate uses a combination of air pressure and oil pressure to alter its position. Because the turbo isn't producing a normal pressure the oil is being inhibited from closing the waste gate. So you win for most right answer. Turbo is shot, waste gate is stuck open."

Wow . . . All I noticed was the retarded left throttle and fuel flow of 22 & 20 gph! Made my back pocket sore . . .

Probably "bootstrapping", i.e. a stuck wastegate. And you can definitely tell this aircraft is turbo charged because of the high MP values and redline - this is not a normally aspirated engine. Bootstrapping happened quite often on my Aerostar unless you milk moused the wastegates and actuators every 25-50hrs. What happens is, at high altitude the wastegates have been riding closed, but as you descend deposits make it stick, resulting in turbo overboost which prompts reduction of throttle.

Last edited:
.....and with no red handle to pull..........

The boosts on both side appear to be identical (or at least close), so I'm guessing possibly a mechanical issue with one of the throttle linkages. Probably the left one.

The boosts on both side appear to be identical (or at least close), so I'm guessing possibly a mechanical issue with one of the throttle linkages. Probably the left one.
Are you being sarcastic or am I missing the "boost" gauge?

unless you milk moused the wastegates and actuators every 25-50hrs.

Mouse Milk. Freekin' killer stuff for all things stuck or thinking about sticking!!!

A pretty competitively effective (and far cheaper) homebrew is 50% acetone and 50% ATF.

90 PSI of boost is "let's take this thing to orbit" performance. That's 6 atmospheres, equivalent to manifold pressure of 180 inches.

No way....

I had a hard time reading them at first. I figured that out for myself.

90 PSI of boost is "let's take this thing to orbit" performance. That's 6 atmospheres, equivalent to manifold pressure of 180 inches.

No way....

Uhh....way. If you run LOP, of course it can be done. But only as long as the ammeter is inop as to not over change the system.

I run like, 200 pounds of boost on my bird and even give it a shot of nitrous once I'm over 12k. Helps with maintaining my O2 levels.

Density controller failure.

Back