Found an typo on my medical

Please... would those of you who want to explain what you said and what someone else said open a new thread so that the OP can read actual answers to his question more easily?

A correction is not an alteration in this context, anymore than correcting an entry in a pilots log book.
Yes, it is an alteration. As i said, there is no authority in the regulations to "correct" an FAA certificate other than by reissuance, and any change made to one after issuance (other than, of course, the airman's signature) is an "alteration" within the context of the regulations.

That is serious enough that when you apply for a new rating it will foul IACRA.

Photocopy it and send the copy with an explanation to AAM 331, PO Box 26200, Oklahoma City, OK. You can fax them into 405-954-4040, and call three, five and seven business days later.

They will correct it and send you a new one.

Please... would those of you who want to explain what you said and what someone else said open a new thread so that the OP can read actual answers to his question more easily?

Okay, I'm over it. It appears to be my mistake anyway...

Ben said:
Requesting a medical should be based on a " on file pilots certificate' The FAA's computer /database should have kicked out the incorrect birthdate instantly..

Makes ya wonder just how screwed up the system really is.:dunno:
The A/m database does not communicate with the medical database. When you request that your SSN be taken off your pilot cert, you are given a 999 psuedo SSN. When you request that your SSN be taken off your medical cert, you are given an 888 pseudo SSN.

Now go to a senior AME and watch him try to decide what SSN to put on the EKG system (which doesn't communicate with either). No fix is apparent, either. :(

The retired AME would be defacing a medical certificate to not match what was at the OKC database. VERY BAD DEAL for all concerned. OKC needs to correct this one. AMEs can file changes at the database for THRITY, count them 30 days after the issuance only.

Photocopy it and send the copy with an explanation to AAM 331, PO Box 26200, Oklahoma City, OK. You can fax them into 405-954-4040, and call three, five and seven business days later.

Will I be grounded while I'm doing that?
Because I have a checkride coming up and I really don't want to postpone it.

Alright will give them a call.

Thanks for the help guys.

In that case perhaps I should contact the AME and find out whether or not he used MedExpress? If he didn't then as you said I can just get him to correct it by hand.

The AME also said that if correcting it by hand would not work he will call the FAA, I assume he meant OKC.

You did catch the "might" in my quote, right? I'm not sure that issuing a correction would be proper, but I'd expect an AME to know whether it could or could not be done.

Calling OKC is your best bet.

And there's an answer you can reasonably count on!

The facts are that you and Ron let 3...Three...3...I'll say it again...3...posts of mine go before pointing out that the FAA won't require a new medical to be issued.

Your excuse for giving bad, uninformed counsel: everyone else is responsible for correcting you and helping you get it right. Do you use the same pathetic excuse if you bust an altitude: nobody caught it, so it's not your fault? Good thing nobody has let you fly into a mountain yet, isn't it?

My advice is solid.

Your "advice" was to do nothing, ignore the problem, and say nothing. Pretend it didn't exist. Continue flying on an invalid medical certificate. You call that solid?

I, and you and Ron said there would be no action taken if an inspector found him with the medical as is.

No, the only person giving out bad counsel to ignore the problem, and suggesting that no certificate action would be taken, is YOU.

The fact is that without a correct medical certificate, the certificate is already invalid. Correcting it, a simple process, can take care of that. Ignoring it cannot.

You counseled the poster to ignore it.

Both of you had a chance to point out a new medical wouldn't be required. Both of you failed to mention that. Now you try to make it my fault that you didn't.

Normally an adult is able to take responsibility for their own actions, and doesn't need others hovering over them in order to save them from their own continuing errors. Normally an adult would never try to absolve themselves of blame on the premise that nobody corrected them. Normally an adult wouldn't continue defending the same errors, or going so far as to suggest the advice to violate the regulation and perpetuate the violation is "solid."

You did, though. Why not simply stop? The problem has been addressed, and will be solved.

I will need to update my medical this september again in order to have 1st or 2nd class privileges. Can I just go to a different AME and get a new medical without correcting anything? Will just need to make sure that the information on the new medical will be correct.

Last edited:
I will need to update my medical this september again in order to have 1st or 2nd class privileges. Can I just go to a different AME and get a new medical without correcting anything? Will just need to make sure that the information on the new medical will be correct.
Sure. But you won't be legal to fly until you get that new medical.

Sure. But you won't be legal to fly until you get that new medical.

Great, I'll just get one today or tomorrow then.

I called the guys at OKC and they said that it will take them about 3 days to fax me a temporary medical and a least two weeks to mail me a permanent one. I don't have 3 days.

Great, I'll just get one today or tomorrow then.
That will do.

I called the guys at OKC and they said that it will take them about 3 days to fax me a temporary medical and a least two weeks to mail me a permanent one. I don't have 3 days.
I note from your first post that you discovered this problem "a few weeks ago," but didn't do anything about it until two days ago when your practical test was staring you in the face. Even then, it seems you waited two more days until today before calling OKC as I suggested seven hours after you posted your question. Suggestion for the future: When you discover a problem, figure out right away what needs to be done to fix it -- don't wait until you're hard up against a deadline. You'll find this is a good practice in flight, too. :wink2:

Last edited:
I note from your first post that you discovered this problem "a few weeks ago," but didn't do anything about it until two days ago when your practical test was staring you in the face. Even then, it seems you waited two more days until today before calling OKC as I suggested seven hours after you posted your question. Suggestion for the future: When you discover a problem, figure out right away what needs to be done to fix it -- don't wait until you're hard up against a deadline. You'll find this is a good practice in flight, too. :wink2:

Yeah your right.

It was not urgent at first because I had time but then it took me over a week to contact the AME. Then I posted it on here. Tried calling the guys at OKC yesterday but they turned out to be closed at 3PM PST. So I wasn't exactly not doing anything. :D

Yeah your right.

It was not urgent at first because I had time but then it took me over a week to contact the AME. Then I posted it on here. Tried calling the guys at OKC yesterday but they turned out to be closed at 3PM PST. So I wasn't exactly not doing anything. :D

"Yes, I screwed up," would suffice.

Yeah your right.
Thank you -- now make that a life lesson and move on.

...but it wasn't enough. See paragraph above.

Back