Found an typo on my medical

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Found a typo on my medical

I got my last medical about a year ago and only a few weeks ago I noticed that that it has a typo, my date of birth is off by ten years and one month. I tried contacting the medical office where the doctor worked only to find out that the office has been closed for a half a year and the doctor is now retired. Today I was able to contact the doctor directly and he explained that when the office closed he return all the materials to FAA (including the blank medical forms), instead he offered to correct the medical by hand and initial the changes.
I personally have no problem with that but when I have to present my medical to FAA would they be okay with it or would they want me to get a new medical? I plan on having a checkride this week and would really like to have all my paperwork in order.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Suggestion #1

Repost this in the Medical section.

Suggestion #2

Do EXACTLY what Bruce tells you to do.

Suggestion #3

Do not attempt a check ride until this matter is resolved.

If you're not going up for a checkride then don't worry about it.

In the future though, check it before you leave the docs office. That would have been the time to fix it.

Found a typo in your thread title. ;)

+1 on what rainsux says :yes:

You need to contact the Aeromedical folks in Oklahoma City to sort this out.
(405) 954-4821.

The one thing you should not do is alter that certificate in any way, shape, or form, including what that former AME suggested -- the FAA will definitely not be OK with that.

Last edited:
(405) 954-4821.

The one thing you should not do is alter that certificate in any way, shape, or form, including what that former AME suggested -- the FAA will definitely not be OK with that.

2nd part first: absolutely agree NOT to alter it.

1st part second: Why? What's the worst that could happen if he got ramped and played dumb if the inspector happened to notice the birthdate was off?

It's not like he doesn't have the medical. He did in fact go in and pass the exam and that's what the FAA cares about. So the t isn't crossed, the spirit was complied with. I'd leave it and not worry about it. If it becomes an issue on a ramp check then thank the inspector for pointing it out to you and do exactly what he suggests thanking him for being so diligent in his job.

Inspectors love that sort off thing. Makes them feel like what they do is important. No way would he get in any trouble for a typo from a AME

If he takes your advise and calls the number he's going to get the 'official' answer and that's not going to be good. It's going to be a major headache with the issuing AME no longer available and odds are he's going to be grounded until he gets another medical.

Sometimes it is better to get forgiveness rather than permission and in my view this is one of them. There no benifit to self disclosing this. He's just guaranteeing that he'll have to get another medical where if he takes my advise it's a slim chance of having to pay for another medical depending if he balls up a plane or happens to get ramped.

Last edited:
What if you got ramp checked, and the inspector checked your Medical against your pilot cert, and driver's license which you are also now required to carry as a picture I.D.? Would that be a violation which could ground you?

2nd part first: absolutely agree NOT to alter it.
61.59 is definitely not a ref to be messing with.

1st part second: Why? What's the worst that could happen if he got ramped and played dumb if the inspector happened to notice the birthdate was off?
"Play dumb" -- is that amother way of saying "lie"? 18 USC 1001 is also a rule not to mess with.

It's not like he doesn't have the medical.
Technically, it is, because the error on it makes it invalid. Yeah, it's a small point, but an error is an error. The real point here is before you sign anything, read it carefully and check it for errors. It's a lot easier to fix at that point.

What if you got ramp checked, and the inspector checked your Medical against your pilot cert, and driver's license which you are also now required to carry as a picture I.D.? Would that be a violation which could ground you?
Theoretically, yes. Practically, I doubt the inspector would do more than tell you to get it fixed before s/he sees you again.

Last edited:

It's not like he doesn't have the medical. He did in fact go in and pass the exam and that's what the FAA cares about. So the t isn't crossed, the spirit was complied with. I'd leave it and not worry about it. If it becomes an issue on a ramp check then thank the inspector for pointing it out to you and do exactly what he suggests thanking him for being so diligent in his job.

The error on the medical certificate invalidates the medical. Whether it would be treated that way upon discovery in the field is questionable, but also irrelevant. An incorrect certificate is invalidated.

The information, if entered that way into the FAA computer, will remain incorrect, and may cause rejection of the medical application at the next exam, or shortly thereafter. The holder of the certificate should contact Oklahoma City to have it corrected.

If he has a new AME picked out, to whom he will be going on a regular basis in the future, the poster should consider contacting that AME first. My AME has been very helpful in the past with issues such as that, or any issue involving any complication of the medical process. In fact, it's his "specialty."

61.59 is definitely not a ref to be messing with.

"Play dumb" -- is that amother way of saying "lie"? 18 USC 1001 is also a rule not to mess with.

Technically, it is, because the error on it makes it invalid. Yeah, it's a small point, but an error is an error. The real point here is before you sign anything, read it carefully and check it for errors. It's a lot easier to fix at that point.

I mentioned the bold bit on my first response on post #3.

Theoretically, yes. Practically, I doubt the inspector would do np ore than tell you to get it fixed before s/he sees you again.

The error on the medical certificate invalidates the medical. Whether it would be treated that way upon discovery in the field is questionable, but also irrelevant. An incorrect certificate is invalidated.

The information, if entered that way into the FAA computer, will remain incorrect, and may cause rejection of the medical application at the next exam, or shortly thereafter. The holder of the certificate should contact Oklahoma City to have it corrected.

If he has a new AME picked out, to whom he will be going on a regular basis in the future, the poster should consider contacting that AME first. My AME has been very helpful in the past with issues such as that, or any issue involving any complication of the medical process. In fact, it's his "specialty."

You guys are all giving the 'official answer' that the feds are going to give if he calls that number. That's going to ground him until he gets a new medical, yet everyone agrees that IF an inspector sees it they are NOT going to violate him. They are just going to have him do what you are saying to do now.

I'm just looking at the odds. Chances are no inspector is going to see it before his next medical. If he doesn't mind paying for a new medical then by all means call the number and self disclose the mistake. If he would rather not pay for an unnecessary medical then don't call and on the off chance an inspector spots it THEN take care of it.

Your way: 100% chance he's paying for a new medical.

My way: 1% chance he's paying for a new medical.

Is my way 'unscrupulous'? Maybe, but don't hate the player, hate the game. There's a zero percent chance of getting violated doing it my way.

Last edited:

My way: 1% chance he's paying for a new medical.

No, there isn't any chance of paying for a new medical, unless one wishes to take a new exam. I suggested no such thing. Can you read?

Your "way" is to ignore the problem and hope one doesn't get caught.

Your "way" guarantees a 100% chance it will get caught at the next medical, and a strong possibility that it will get kicked back because the new application doesn't agree with what's on file.

By correcting it in the meantime, the problem is solved quietly, at no cost, and one needs not worry about a "chance."

No, there isn't any chance of paying for a new medical, unless one wishes to take a new exam. I suggested no such thing. Can you read?

Your "way" guarantees a 100% chance it will get caught at the next medical, and a strong possibility that it will get kicked back because the new application doesn't agree with what's on file.

By correcting it in the meantime, the problem is solved quietly, at no cost, and one needs not worry about a "chance."

Oh, well if they're just going to fix it and send a new one then do that.

: )

You guys are all giving the 'official answer' that the feds are going to give if he calls that number.
Yup -- we're recommending playing by the rules. You are recommending otherwise. I'll stick with the rules.

That's going to ground him until he gets a new medical,
...which will be maybe an hour if you have Internet access and a printer.

Zero chance of that. It will be corrected and reissued from OKC without paying for a new medical -- at most $2 for a replacement certificate (without checking the site).

Yup -- we're recommending playing by the rules. You are recommending otherwise. I'll stick with the rules.

...which will be maybe an hour if you have Internet access and a printer.

Zero chance of that. It will be corrected and reissued from OKC without paying for a new medical -- at most $2 for a replacement certificate (without checking the site).

I thought the fix would require a new medical. I'm happy to hear it won't. Post 12 was the first time anyone mentioned it wouldn't require a new medical and my stance changed instantly upon news of that.

I'm just looking at dollars vs. likeliness of being caught and comparing that to the dollars. The dollars were equal in my mind and the likeliness very low so that's what I based my advise on.

If the cost on self disclosure is nil (or very low like $2) then that changes the equation and I'd counsel to pay the two bucks to make it right. Again, I assumed a new medical was required and it wasn't til post 12 that anything contrary to that was posted.

I really am trying to play nice here.

If I do contact OKC for how long can I expect to be ground?
I really don't want to postpone the checkride so what's going to happen if I don't do anything and the DPE notices the error? I already took one checkride with this medical a while back and the DPE has not noticed, he actually just checked to make sure that I have a valid medical and that's it.

I really don't want to postpone the checkride so what's going to happen if I don't do anything and the DPE notices the error? I already took one checkride with this medical a while back and the DPE has not noticed, he actually just checked to make sure that I have a valid medical and that's it.
Do you want to take a chance you will fail your checkride over this?

I recognize that it is difficult to find the actual answers to your question inside all this bickering, but you just make the phone call and it will take a couple of hours at most to get a new medical faxed.

(405) 954-4821.

If it's only a few hours then I got no problem. But wouldn't they have to mail me a new medical without errors? Because that would take a few days.

The medical I used before this one still has not expired, by now it has 3rd class privileges though. Does anything say that on a checkride I have to present my last medical?

Last edited:
The medical I used before this one still has not expired, by now it has 3rd class privileges though. Does anything say that on a checkride I have to present my last medical?

I don't have my medical in front of me, but I remember there being a statement about it superseding any previously issued medicals.

But if your new medical isn't valid, then does it really supersede the previous one?

Ryan

Do you want to take a chance you will fail your checkride over this?

I recognize that it is difficult to find the actual answers to your question inside all this bickering, but you just make the phone call and it will take a couple of hours at most to get a new medical faxed.

(405) 954-4821.

There's no bickering if he's waiting to take a check ride.

My very first post on this matter stipulated that if he's going for a check ride then every single thing I posted hence didn't apply.

Why do forums blow so bad at conveying thoughts? I type exactly what I mean and nobody seems to get it. Did I not convey enough the point of 'IF YOU'RE NOT GOING FOR A CHECK RIDE'?

Did nobody notice that nobody said calling OKC wasn't going to cost a medical despite my going on and on that it would? If my whole argument was avoiding the cost of the re-do of the medical why would nobody state that a new medical wouldn't be required?

Seriously...I don't understand why these things get blown up so much when there's nothing there to blow them up. I agree with everyone here...now that I know what they are saying.

Did nobody notice that nobody said calling OKC wasn't going to cost a medical despite my going on and on that it would? If my whole argument was avoiding the cost of the re-do of the medical why would nobody state that a new medical wouldn't be required?

If you don't know your subject material, why bother posting in the first place?

If you don't know your subject material, why bother posting in the first place?

Oh, so only people who know every single facet of a regulation or procedure need bother reply...

Okay. I guess this forum has zero people qualified to answer questions then.

Or, how about when people who see someone posting a response spot a problem with that response they point out the problem rather than keep arguing their point?

OP: Typo on my medical.
Poster 1: Gotta fix it.
Poster 2: Gotta fix it.
Me: don't bother. A new medical costs money and isn't worth it.
Poster 1: No gotta fix it.
Poster 2: No gotta fix it.

Point is nobody said it wouldn't require a new medical. Nobody. The assumption was it would and I stated that a bunch of times...yet nobody said other wise.

When they did my tune changed. Why is that not apparent? My stance stays if he needs a new medical...but nobody said otherwise. Doug even asked if I could read...yet he never posted the obvious...the answer to the question of weather or not he needed a new medical.

------------------------------------

I thought he needed a new medical. Nobody said other wise and when they did say he didn't then I agreed he should call OKC. Yet somehow I'm still the jerk. Go figure.

Last edited:
Why does everyone assume that what the AME offered to do, correct the typo, isn't valid?

Why does everyone assume that what the AME offered to do, correct the typo, isn't valid?

The issue is whether it's just a typo on the medical certificate, or whether the data in the FAA computer is wrong.

If the AME hand-typed a medical, and the data sent to OKC was correct, then "correcting" the medical might be ok.

But if this was done with MedExpress, then the data in OKC is wrong as well, and that needs to be corrected.

The advice to call OKC is good. This is certainly not the first time this has happened, and it should be easy to fix. Calling or waiting for Dr. Bruce to chime in can work too, as he may have the exact name/number of the person in OKC to fix this issue.

Oh, so only people who know every single facet of a regulation or procedure need bother reply...

Okay. I guess this forum has zero people qualified to answer questions then.

No, having an opinion is one thing. Advising someone to risk their certificate and a violation is another.

Your excuse for doing so is that nobody else corrected you. Perhaps if you'd bothered to fact-check first, before handing out bad advice, you'd have not needed to fall back on the excuse that no one told you.

The issue is whether it's just a typo on the medical certificate, or whether the data in the FAA computer is wrong.

If the AME hand-typed a medical, and the data sent to OKC was correct, then "correcting" the medical might be ok.

But if this was done with MedExpress, then the data in OKC is wrong as well, and that needs to be corrected.

The advice to call OKC is good. This is certainly not the first time this has happened, and it should be easy to fix. Calling or waiting for Dr. Bruce to chime in can work too, as he may have the exact name/number of the person in OKC to fix this issue.

Requesting a medical should be based on a " on file pilots certificate' The FAA's computer /database should have kicked out the incorrect birthdate instantly..

Makes ya wonder just how screwed up the system really is.:dunno:

About as long as it takes an email to get to you.
I really don't want to postpone the checkride so what's going to happen if I don't do anything and the DPE notices the error?
The checkride doesn't happen.

I already took one checkride with this medical a while back and the DPE has not noticed, he actually just checked to make sure that I have a valid medical and that's it.
Except you didn't have a valid medical -- that DPE just catch it.

Last edited:
Because altering an FAA certificate is a violation of 14 CFR 61.59 and a few sections of the United States Code, and there is no provision for making such alterations anywhere in the Code of Federal Regulations. IOW, it's not an assumption -- it's the law.

No, having an opinion is one thing. Advising someone to risk their certificate and a violation is another.

Your excuse for doing so is that nobody else corrected you. Perhaps if you'd bothered to fact-check first, before handing out bad advice, you'd have not needed to fall back on the excuse that no one told you.

I never advised anyone to risk certificate action. You saying I did is grossly overstating the facts.

The facts are that you and Ron let 3...Three...3...I'll say it again...3...posts of mine go before pointing out that the FAA won't require a new medical to be issued.

I, and you and Ron said there would be no action taken if an inspector found him with the medical as is. But now that I've capitulated in light of the recent news that a new medical won't be required...you feel it okay to inflame and change the story?

Both of you had a chance to point out a new medical wouldn't be required. Both of you failed to mention that. Now you try to make it my fault that you didn't.

I, and you and Ron said there would be no action taken if an inspector found him with the medical as is.
I didn't say that. I said an inspector would probably tell the person to get it fixed ASAP and let it go at that. However, I also pointed out that it would be a violation of 14 CFR 61.59, which carries the FAA's equivalent of the death penalty, and there's no reason an Inspector with a burr under his/her saddle couldn't process it for enforcement action under that section.

...came up with a better response.

see below.

Last edited:

A: I did no such thing.

B: My advice is solid. We have yet to see if the OP gets his medical from OKC without hassle seeing that his AME is kaput. Til then I say, "we'll see".

About as long as it takes an email to get to you.

Oh I thought they had to physically mail it to me.
In that case how does the AME sign it? As far as I know the medical is not valid until it is signed by myself and the AME, if OKC just emailes it to me then I would need to find the AME as have him sign it, right?

Except you didn't have a valid medical -- that DPE just catch it.

He checked to make sure it had my name on it and the date when it was issued.

In that case perhaps I should contact the AME and find out whether or not he used MedExpress? If he didn't then as you said I can just get him to correct it by hand.

The AME also said that if correcting it by hand would not work he will call the FAA, I assume he meant OKC.

Because altering an FAA certificate is a violation of 14 CFR 61.59 and a few sections of the United States Code, and there is no provision for making such alterations anywhere in the Code of Federal Regulations. IOW, it's not an assumption -- it's the law.

A correction is not an alteration in this context, anymore than correcting an entry in a pilots log book.

Back