Found a plane!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Brent and I have found a 201 we really like, so we've signed paper and put our money where our mouths are. The plane won't be ready for inspection for a few more weeks, so I'll advise as we get further down the pipe!

Yeee haaa!!!

Holy cow!!!

What did I just do??????

:hairraise: :D

Spec's - Details!!?? We need to critique!!

Let's see, off the top of my head:

1978 M20J 201, 2500 TT
0 SMOH engine
0 SMOH prop
New paint
New int
New tank seal

The avionics is has:

2 Collins navcoms
Collins audio panel, ADF, xponder
GX50 GPS
King 525 slaved HSI
King KFC 200 A/P with alt hold and preselect
Insight strikefinder
EI engine monitor

We're doing the following mods:

Pull the audio panel and intercom and replace with PS Engineering PMA8000B.
Pull navcom #1 and the GX50, and replace with 430.
496 for weather and GPS backup.
Adding a "Bitching Betty" talking audio gear warning system

Should be a nice little buggy! I REALLY hope it all comes together!

You'll love that airplane.... I'm jealous. And between the strikefinder and the 496 you're pretty well covered for weather. Just stay out of the cold clouds - the Mooney is a horrid airplane when iced up.

Enjoy your airplane and fly it often.

Well that didn't take tooooo long. Congratulations. I hope the inspection goes well.

Sounds nice Bill. I'll look forward to seeing it at the Wings Fly B Q in May.

Thats really exciting, Bill! Congratulations! I can't wait to see her.

Sounds very nice Bill. New paint, engine prop. especially. You'll like the KFC-200 AP with altitude pre-select. Neat feature.

Congratulations. Really neat to break everything in the way you want to!!

Best,

Dave

You will love it. I have been flying my 201 for two years and you can't beat the speed and economy.

Ack!

Another Moonie to deal with now!:goofy:

If you are craving a $100 hamburger, head southwest and give me a heads up, so I can drool on it.

If you are craving a $100 hamburger, head southwest and give me a heads up, so I can drool on it.

After we pick it up, we should call a mini southeast gather at Pell City for lunch.

More Mooneys, more Mooneys, more Mooneys! Yeah!

I have a feeling Bill and I will be putting alot of hours on our new little baby the fist few months.:goofy: Weekend Warriors rule!!:yes:

Good for you both. Here's wishing you many safe, enjoyable flying hours with the new airplane. Of course....you'll need a name worthy of her.

1978 M20J 201, 2500 TT
0 SMOH engine
0 SMOH prop
New paint
New int
New tank seal
1 Garmin 430
1 Collins navcoms
Collins ADF, xponder
GX50 GPS
King 525 slaved HSI
King KFC 200 A/P with alt hold and preselect
Insight strikefinder
EI engine monitor
PS Engineering PMA8000B.
496 for weather and GPS backup.
Adding a "Bitching Betty" talking audio gear warning system

Should be a nice little buggy! I REALLY hope it all comes together!

Wow! That is gonna be one slick little bird when you're done! Congrats! :goofy:

As John would say. My Mooney Brother from another Mother.
Welcome aboard Bill.

Hey, I would say that wouldn't I? You did a most excellent job however! Another Mooniac on the board....woohoo!

Can't wait to see it Bill. Let me know when you are going to have the fly-in.

Congrats!

Can't wait to see it Bill. Let me know when you are going to have the fly-in.

Congrats!

As we won't be able to inspect the plane for a few weeks, we're cautiously optimistic. OK, I'm dying to see it!

As we won't be able to inspect the plane for a few weeks, we're cautiously optimistic. OK, I'm dying to see it!

The 201 is my next airplane, so I am living vicariously through you. I hope it works out! :yes:

Don't you know it! Especially after this weekends installment of the club 182 saga.

You know after reading of your club member's exploits do not sound like they are the safest, brightest group of pilots. When I rented there was less drama and that was from a school where student beat the snot out of planes.

You know after reading of your club member's exploits do not sound like they are the safest, brightest group of pilots.

Yes, we have a diverse group of pilots. And, althought the 182 is a robust airplane, does require a bit more care to fly compared to the 4 banger planes. Cowl flaps, prop, mixture, etc., all seem to be much more critical on the 6 cyl planes.

If I had a (large enough) voice, I'd vote that the club just own simple 4cyl aircraft. Both the 172 and Archer III have been reliable as anvils, both regularly running to TBO without pain. The clubs record with 6 cyl planes is really bad, they eat our lunch.

Strange... I found operating my J to be a step "up" in complexity from the 182, which is a pretty simple airplane, just with a big engine. The J (or at least my '98 J) had the controllable prop, and cowl flaps, and added speed brakes, gear speeds (kind of low Vle actually), and such.

All the rental 182s here (1999 and newer) have had their engines go to TBO with no problems, even the old ones with the single-probe EGT/CHT gauge.

I tend to agree with scott - the common thread seems to be your club population. Either they REALLY don't know how to operate the airplane, or the maintenance isn't quite right.

Congratulations. And, that Strike Finder will be, I think, one of the most useful tools you have. I love them. They've gotten me around some pretty hairy WX, even when the briefing hasn't indicated I'd need it. And it's given me a good indication of which way to deviate.

Congratulations. And, that Strike Finder will be, I think, one of the most useful tools you have. I love them. They've gotten me around some pretty hairy WX, even when the briefing hasn't indicated I'd need it. And it's given me a good indication of which way to deviate.

Thanks! We'll add a 396/496 to the strikefinder to get in cockpit nexrad radar, so we should be pretty good on the weather avoidance end.

Thanks! We'll add a 396/496 to the strikefinder to get in cockpit nexrad radar, so we should be pretty good on the weather avoidance end.

You know I find that with the strike finder I am pretty happy, if the condition warrant the use of a strike finder AND nexrad radar I am pretty sure I don't want to be flying anyway.

You know I find that with the strike finder I am pretty happy, if the condition warrant the use of a strike finder AND nexrad radar I am pretty sure I don't want to be flying anyway.

After using both, I kind of agree with Dave Siciliano in that stormscope/strikefinder is a great tactical tool while nexrad radar is more of a strategic tool.

Back