Forward Slip on a PPL Checkride

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I will be flying a 152 on my PPL Checkride, when I set up for this maneuver should i just stay at or around pattern altitude until final, and then begin the slip all the way down? Does the examiner want you to use flaps or not? thanks

Flaps is based on the plane not the DPE. Check the POH first. If you can't find it, ask your CFI.

Just show you are able to slip. Come in a little high slip as long as you need to and then exit the slip and land.

I will be flying a 152 on my PPL Checkride, when I set up for this maneuver should i just stay at or around pattern altitude until final, and then begin the slip all the way down? Does the examiner want you to use flaps or not? thanks

Anecdotal and I'm not a flight instructor, but I executed a slip during a simulated engine out from downwind in the pattern (also in a Cessna 152). I was on final and had the runway made but was a bit high, so I executed a brief forward slip to lose altitude and land on the runway. It was not specifically requested, but it was the right maneuver to correct the issue (too high, theoretically no power for a go-around with the simulated engine out).

The really funny thing is he pulled the power abeam the numbers, so I put in 10 degrees of flaps. He said "WHY DID YOU PUT IN FLAPS BEFORE THE RUNWAY WAS MADE??" I said "Because pulling power abeam the numbers in a 152 is how I usually land" ;)

Sounds good thanks! So its not actually required to slip it all the way to the runway? Can you just slip until like short final or something like that?

Flaps is based on the plane not the DPE. Check the POH first. If you can't find it, ask your CFI.

Just show you are able to slip. Come in a little high slip as long as you need to and then exit the slip and land.

My checkride was simliar. I just did my landings the way I normally did - at some point during the ride I ended up high. I threw in a slip to show the DPE I had it under control. (I don't remember the DPE actually requesting a slip, but I must have done one though.)

I planned from the beginning on my engine out simulation. that I would throw a slip in there because I wasn't a hundred percent confident I can nail it on an actual landing. I knew we wouldn't actually land in a field so I made sure I was a little bit high and I told him I would need to slip to make that field.

he seemed pretty impressed that I opted to do that on my own without him saying okay now show me a slip.

Sounds good thanks! So its not actually required to slip it all the way to the runway? Can you just slip until like short final or something like that?

You slip as much as you need to make a safe landing. Once you've demonstrated you can do it, it shouldn't really matter if you can hold it for another 20 seconds.

If the approach did not require "enough" slip for the DPE's liking he'll set you up for a more aggressive situation. Certainly feel free to ask the DPE what he wants to see -- if it's a slip from pattern altitude to the runway then he's going to need to tell you specifically to do that.

If you're not sure what the examiner wants you to do, ask the examiner. It's a fair question.

Hoping to go out and practice the maneuver a day or 2 before my ride, thanks for the responses everyone, just needed a few things cleared up! :)

The Practical Test Standard dictates what is required.

Bob Gardner

Also look at the wording. There are many OWTs out there about airplanes with limitations against slips with flaps such as the 172.

My DPE took the controls and placed the plane on a very high base, the. Handed it over to me. She also asked for a no flaps landing at a different point. I used slips for both maneuvers.

When I was a DPE I expected the slip to made into the wind, the applicant to be aware of the difference in airspeed error due to the location of the static port and to plan a higher approach, so the slip can be demonstrated. It would not make any sense to begin slipping sooner than needed, since it would be uncomfortable for the passengers and there are so many other ways to correct for a slightly high approach (airspeed change, pattern adjustment, flap setting) which could be more comfortably used. A forward slip is a last resort to cover up poor planning or a surprise thermal, besides useful in steepening the approach over obstacle if unequipped with flaps.

The biggest complaint I had with the typical performance of this maneuver was failure to know and consider wind direction. Slipping away from the wind is inefficient and causes a change from one direction to the other at low altitude just prior to landing--a skill often beyond a private applicant. Doing it into the wind merely requires a slight adjustment to align the aircraft's centerline (plus it's momentum) with the runway's.

dtuuri

I slipped to make the perfect field when my DPE simulated my engine out that was right in front of me.

He asked me, "Are you slipping right now?" To which I replied, "You know it!".

He said, "Good, we needed to do that anyway...now we're good."

The really funny thing is he pulled the power abeam the numbers, so I put in 10 degrees of flaps. He said "WHY DID YOU PUT IN FLAPS BEFORE THE RUNWAY WAS MADE??" I said "Because pulling power abeam the numbers in a 152 is how I usually land" ;)

My answer would have been, "we are abeam the runway on downwind, the runway is made, no issues."

Ya, I never come up with the smart one liners in real time either. :dunno:

50' over the numbers on that approach I did give him a sarcastic "the runway is made" comment to which he responded "ya think?" I completely forgot about that until just now. It is a wonder I passed haha.

Ya, I never come up with the smart one liners in real time either. :dunno:

Backward, oh backward,
Time in it's flight!
I though of a comeback
I needed last night!

Can you still take a PPL in a Cub? Because even Steve Canyon needs to slip his Cub to land sometimes.

The DPE I had said a ton of guys baby it and don't get the rudder all the way in. I think they just want to see you can get it back down to on path. But yeah I agree, ask your CFI

He was probably hoping that that doesn't become automatic, especially on windy days as it might cost you altitude too early. If you're follow-up was that you know how to use the side window, just like the front, to keep the runway distance set as to not end up short, then he'd have been a happy camper.

Back