Forgive me PoA for I have sinned (again)

Which is why I quit flying other people's airplanes.

Unless you're going through the process of being listed as an "insured" and receiving a waiver of subrogation from his insurance company (and maybe even paying an extra premium), you're most likely assuming that risk on your policy even if you do qualify under his.

Aircraft Insurance 101 - In the absence of special provisions, his insurance covers his risks and your insurance covers yours; his insurance does not protect you. The "open pilot warranty" is not a "special provision."

It allways struck me as odd how anal retentive insurance companies are when it comes to owned coverage and how permissive they are in the non-owned arena. I used to have a non-owned policy with multi coverage, it would cover anything up to 450hp per side and non-pressurized. So while it was near impossible to get owned coverage for a PA30 as a low hour multi pilot at the time, I could have just gotten into someone elses Navajo and taken off with full non-owned coverage. The risk-exposure in non-owned must be reasonably low. From talking to someone on the insurance side of things, the primary insurance companies rarely subrogate against pilots unless things go into the direction of gross negligence.

For a while I had my non-owned coverage through an owned plane. The hull value covered was limited to something like 1.25 the insured value on my plane. Didn't cover multi, but it would have been good enough to pay for a gear-up on a nicer single.

About Greg's comment... I heard through the grapewine that the competing FBO in town returned their 182RG online. 3rd prop strike in 3 years. Their minimum for renters is 2000 hours (TWO THOUSAND). Basically now it's an airplane for ATPs on vacation. Dunno how true it is, sounds kinda insane. But then I remember how an FBO in Hawaii asked me to have 300 hours and IR to reant a Skyhawk. OpenAirplane cannot happen soon enough for me.

Last edited:
About Greg's comment... I heard through the grapewine that the competing FBO in town returned their 182RG online. 3rd prop strike in 3 years. Their minimum for renters is 2000 hours (TWO THOUSAND). Basically now it's an airplane for ATPs on vacation. Dunno how true it is, sounds kinda insane. But then I remember how an FBO in Hawaii asked me to have 300 hours and IR to reant a Skyhawk. OpenAirplane cannot happen soon enough for me.

Two thousand?!?!?! I needed 20hrs dual and 50 in type before I could carry passengers.... But I was less than a hundred hours. Why can no one use the trim wheel. :mad2:

???

Whazzat?

It is a concept where someone is trying to get a network of FBOs to rent 172s or 182s to anyone with either a valid civil air patrol form 5 or someone who has gone through a equivalent checkout with one of the participating FBOs (without requiring a local checkout).

Two thousand?!?!?! I needed 20hrs dual and 50 in type before I could carry passengers.... But I was less than a hundred hours. Why can no one use the trim wheel. :mad2:

What does the trim wheel do to prevent a prop strike?

I did not experience the nose-heaviness woes that I've heard oh so much about on the pilot forums yesterday.

I got a call from a friend last night asking me if I could relocate a 182, and he asked if I had ever flown one. I said no, but I've flown a 210. He said keep all the gauges in the green and have it at Stinson by 2.

I woke up (around 11) donned my nomex jockstrap, and headed for the airport for my date with destiny. I preflighted the plane and confirmed my suspicion - it was indeed a Cessna 182. I hopped in, fired up, and took off. Stinson isn't far, but this airplane didn't have a GPS. I used my pilot intuition and did some figuring. I opened up the window and stuck my finger and and became immediately aware that Stinson was to the Southwest, so southwest I went. I figured I probably needed to call San Antonio and ask for flight following, which I received through charm and cunning. I approached Stinson in this new to me airplane and prepared for my first landing in this new type.

It's truly a miracle my wings stayed on. I came down on final. 500.....400......300.... and so on. I did some more figuring and through my pilot intuitiveness realized it was probably time to flare, so I did. Chirp - the wheels touched down. I had cheated death - flying a new type without a CFI.

Here is a picture of the spacecraft

ynutenaz.jpg

OMG! The shear terror of it all! Hundreds of poor Terra firma souls scared to death as you zoomed across the sky in the winged death machine only to find an escape which plummeted you back to earth.

David, you have sinned and this time the punishment shall not be three hail Mary's. My son, you will be required to provide the nectar of the God's at a determined location of worship. Shall we start at the Holy Grail? Sun N fun in lakeland, FL? The Lord does work in mysterious ways!

Peace be with you! (and fly fast :rofl:)

Father Andrew

182, it prevents the nose gear collapse that causes the prop strike. Many people fight the nose weight of a 182, for some reason people don't like to trim below 100'.:dunno:

182, it prevents the nose gear collapse that causes the prop strike. Many people fight the nose weight of a 182, for some reason people don't like to trim below 100'.:dunno:

It makes it so it takes very little effort to pull back and land the thing. People make it so hard on themselves by not trimming on final and short final. I imagine I'd land pretty dang flat if I didn't trim as often as I do. I'm not good at muscling the airplane around, so I cheat and trim it a bunch.

It makes it so it takes very little effort to pull back and land the thing. People make it so hard on themselves by not trimming on final and short final. I imagine I'd land pretty dang flat if I didn't trim as often as I do. I'm not good at muscling the airplane around, so I cheat and trim it a bunch.

That's not cheating, that's what trim is for, it's using your tools correctly.

That's not cheating, that's what trim is for, it's using your tools correctly.

No, it's cheating. But I must admit... I cheat and use the altimiter and ASI sometimes. Sorry!

I'm glad you're alright! Incredible, but every now and again, people are able to fly a type of aircraft with marginal differences, without a checkout, and not kill themselves!

In all but one of the places where I've rented, the fight school has required a checkout if you were "transitioning" from a 172R to an S. I mean, that's a whole 20 hp difference!

I have ~120 hrs in a PA-28-180 but I must go up for at least one hour with a CFI if I want to fly their PA-28-181. But I can fly their PA-28-161 no problem. :mad2:

I have ~120 hrs in a PA-28-180 but I must go up for at least one hour with a CFI if I want to fly their PA-28-181. But I can fly their PA-28-161 no problem. :mad2:

You obviously have a basic misunderstanding of the concept of "differences training."

Yep, it must be because of the different wing -er- no I can already fly the 161 without any checkout. Well it must be the 20hp step up from the 161-181 -er- already fly the 180. Ah I get it, the combination of a different wing AND 20 more horsepower that makes this plane a completely different animal.

The only difference here is my idea of whose money is in my pocket: mine or theirs.

Back