Forgive me PoA for I have sinned (again)

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I got a call from a friend last night asking me if I could relocate a 182, and he asked if I had ever flown one. I said no, but I've flown a 210. He said keep all the gauges in the green and have it at Stinson by 2.

I woke up (around 11) donned my nomex jockstrap, and headed for the airport for my date with destiny. I preflighted the plane and confirmed my suspicion - it was indeed a Cessna 182. I hopped in, fired up, and took off. Stinson isn't far, but this airplane didn't have a GPS. I used my pilot intuition and did some figuring. I opened up the window and stuck my finger and and became immediately aware that Stinson was to the Southwest, so southwest I went. I figured I probably needed to call San Antonio and ask for flight following, which I received through charm and cunning. I approached Stinson in this new to me airplane and prepared for my first landing in this new type.

It's truly a miracle my wings stayed on. I came down on final. 500.....400......300.... and so on. I did some more figuring and through my pilot intuitiveness realized it was probably time to flare, so I did. Chirp - the wheels touched down. I had cheated death - flying a new type without a CFI.

Here is a picture of the spacecraft

ynutenaz.jpg

Right on. Personally I believe the checkout for everything has gone too far. But if it saves one life... /sarcasm

I wouldn't have done it unless the open pilot clause didn't require any time in type, which I doubt. Maybe I'm jaded, but I wouldn't want to risk putting my friendship in danger if something happened to the aircraft AND I wouldn't want to pay for it either.

No good deed goes un-punished.

I wouldn't have done it unless the open pilot clause didn't require any time in type, which I doubt. Maybe I'm jaded, but I wouldn't want to risk putting my friendship in danger if something happened to the aircraft AND I wouldn't want to pay for it either.

No good deed goes un-punished.

My insurance covers me in any airplane up to the hull value of my Mooney.

Really? OK then never mind. I better read my policy again.

You have to request it, I'm not sure exactly what it's called but I told them I occasionally fly airplanes that I don't own and for an extra like $200 a year I got that deal.

You sure on the value figure? I don't recall mine ever having a limit on the value of the non owned aircraft I flew. I remember asking when I was told I also had coverage in anything I flew I was rated for, "You mean if I crash a $300k Baron instead of my $40k Travelair I'm covered?" "Yep","Sweet."

I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure it caps at my Mooneys insured value - and I don't fly anything that is worth more than my mooney is insured for so it's not an issue.

I don't want to fly badly enough to assume that risk on my policy. If I don't qualify under his insurance, he needs to find somebody that does.

If you can manufacture and market those Nomex jock straps, you'll be a rich man. Shouldn't be too hard, the only size you need is XXL.

I don't want to fly badly enough to assume that risk on my policy. If I don't qualify under his insurance, he needs to find somebody that does.

True that. Likely he was covered under the other policy, but it's nice to know that you have your own insurance to cover legal fees and such should it all go sideways.

you probly wanted to when you were in the time building phase.:)

You had me nervous...I thought the 500...400...300 was your speed on final!

LearBaron has nothing compared to an RV10. Learbaron can do 400kts at FL410 burning 10gph combined, but an RV10 actually makes it own fuel at FL 490 and can do mach 1.2.

I'm gettin' me one of them!

I got a call from a friend last night asking me if I could relocate a 182, and he asked if I had ever flown one. I said no, but I've flown a 210. He said keep all the gauges in the green and have it at Stinson by 2.

I woke up (around 11) donned my nomex jockstrap, and headed for the airport for my date with destiny. I preflighted the plane and confirmed my suspicion - it was indeed a Cessna 182. I hopped in, fired up, and took off. Stinson isn't far, but this airplane didn't have a GPS. I used my pilot intuition and did some figuring. I opened up the window and stuck my finger and and became immediately aware that Stinson was to the Southwest, so southwest I went. I figured I probably needed to call San Antonio and ask for flight following, which I received through charm and cunning. I approached Stinson in this new to me airplane and prepared for my first landing in this new type.

It's truly a miracle my wings stayed on. I came down on final. 500.....400......300.... and so on. I did some more figuring and through my pilot intuitiveness realized it was probably time to flare, so I did. Chirp - the wheels touched down. I had cheated death - flying a new type without a CFI.

Here is a picture of the spacecraft

ynutenaz.jpg

Impossible, can't be done. :nono: (I noticed you did not mention filing a flight plan...... :yikes:) :D

I'm glad you're alright! Incredible, but every now and again, people are able to fly a type of aircraft with marginal differences, without a checkout, and not kill themselves!

In all but one of the places where I've rented, the fight school has required a checkout if you were "transitioning" from a 172R to an S. I mean, that's a whole 20 hp difference!

In all but one of the places where I've rented, the fight school has required a checkout if you were "transitioning" from a 172R to an S. I mean, that's a whole 20 hp difference!

They're just trying to avoid the liability claims for whiplash from students advancing the throttle to quickly in the S! :lol:

You have to request it, I'm not sure exactly what it's called but I told them I occasionally fly airplanes that I don't own and for an extra like $200 a year I got that deal.

I got the cheapest insurance of 5 quotes and it had it. I'm covered in any plane I fly for which I am qualified by FAA to fly.... When I ferried a Katmai 182 I did not need a check out for my policy nor the other guys' insurance.

I'm glad you're alright! Incredible, but every now and again, people are able to fly a type of aircraft with marginal differences, without a checkout, and not kill themselves!

I bet they made money on both the CFI and the Rental on that checkride. I wonder why they were so strict?

For your penance you must bring it to Sun n Fun and give us a ride in it.

You sure on the value figure? I don't recall mine ever having a limit on the value of the non owned aircraft I flew. I remember asking when I was told I also had coverage in anything I flew I was rated for, "You mean if I crash a $300k Baron instead of my $40k Travelair I'm covered?" "Yep","Sweet."

Why would an insurance company pay out higher for a non-owned plane than the owned hull value? You may have been covered but I doubt you were fully covered. It just doesn't make any business sense. Every insurance policy I've had limited my non-owned coverage to the hull value I payed for.

Why would an insurance company pay out higher for a non-owned plane than the owned hull value? You may have been covered but I doubt you were fully covered. It just doesn't make any business sense. Every insurance policy I've had limited my non-owned coverage to the hull value I payed for.

Because it falls under the liability contract, not the property contract, liability is a million dollars. It may have changed in the intervening 20 some years, I really haven't looked/asked since then.

Last edited:
Unless you're going through the process of being listed as an "insured" and receiving a waiver of subrogation from his insurance company (and maybe even paying an extra premium), you're most likely assuming that risk on your policy even if you do qualify under his.

Aircraft Insurance 101 - In the absence of special provisions, his insurance covers his risks and your insurance covers yours; his insurance does not protect you. The "open pilot warranty" is not a "special provision."

Back