Forgive me for this, but Ipad Mini or Nexus 7?

KeithASanford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MyTurnToFly
I'm researching portable GPS units and I'm having a hard time investing $200-$300 in a unit I won't use outside of a rental airplane that may or may not already be equipped. I was sold on the Nexus 7 until I peeked into the thread and read several complaints about the GPS and pairing and the units involuntarily powering off.

I'm new to everything, so, I have no experience with foreflight, wings x, garmin pilot, avare and the like, so I'm not interested in what you like and why. I'm more interested in what runs the way it should. Without reading thousands of posts about which one is better, where can I find an aviation based objective review of both devices? What's the most dependable combination of device and app, or am I just lobbing another snowball, causing another war? It's certainly not my intention to once again pit brother against brother.

Your patience with me is much appreciated.

To me, it's a matter of which App you like best. Once you determine that, then pick the platform. Example, ForeFlight is only on the iPad so if that is your choice, iPad is the answer.

Either device is fine so pick the App and then the device.

I use ForeFlight and iDevices FWIW.

Cheers

To me, it's a matter of which App you like best. Once you determine that, then pick the platform. Example, ForeFlight is only on the iPad so if that is your choice, iPad is the answer.

Either device is fine so pick the App and then the device.

I use ForeFlight and iDevices FWIW.

Cheers

So is there a simulator? How do I pick an app without using it?

Find a friend!

FWIW, I carry both a full sized iPad 4 and a Nexus 7 in my flight bag, both current on the apps and charts. I have both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on the iPad and GP and Avare on the Nexus. I like them both for different reasons. I almost went with the mini but the screen and processor are much better in the iPad 4 full size. I expect a Mini 2 will be arriving fairly soon.

I know ForeFlight has an extensive web site that shows sample screens and many typical scenarios. No clue if Garmin or others have similar sites.

Cheers

If you use a laptop while traveling you'll definitely use a tablet outside of flying.
With that said, I am in total marvel over the abilities of the iPad mini with ForeFlight (inside and out of the cockpit).

I have a Gen1 iPad with ForeFlight. Very rarely have I had gps reception issues with the internal reciever. iPad wih bluetooth to external gps reciever and combined ADSB -Gps recievers for data. I'm sure nexus has the same capabilities.

Figure our your software preferences, not just navigation, but other applications.
I used to travel with a NetBook for remote email, web and office applications. Now it's all on the iPad.

Don't be spooked from the amazing Nexus 7 by our "tips" thread. Every gripe we've had has been almost immediately addressed by Garmin's amazingly responsive "Pilot" app team of programmers.

The combination of Garmin Pilot, Nexus 7, and GDL-39 ADS-B receiver is nearly perfect for GA flight. Certainly better than any yoke-mounted, purpose-built aviation GPS, with the exception of the Garmin 796.

Of course, the 796 is literally 10-times as expensive, so it follows that there should be some advantage, there.

The N7's advantage over the iPad is obvious, too. Not so much when compared to the iPad Mini, Apple's answer to the Nexus 7, which addressed the size problem in a GA cockpit.

IMHO, if you love ForeFlight, suck it up and spend the money on the iPad Mini. If you love Garmin Pilot, get the Nexus 7, and buy yourself a tank or two of avgas with the money you save.

After spending an evening looking at Foreflight, Wings X, Garmin Pilot and Avare all on Youtube, I'm still not sure what I'll use but since all but foreflight are offered for Android, I'm going Nexus 7. I just can't justify paying the extra for the Ipad mini. I just don't see the value, inside or outside of the cockpit. Besides, I may never be an instrument Pilot, so the basics of all products will serve me just fine. There are 3 Nexus 7s in my house, all purchased for heavy handed teenagers and only one new Ipad for the tech-challenged wife who shares recipes with her sisters, via Face time and not a peep out of any of them as far as any technical problems are concerned. My only hope is that the apps and support improve over time for Android, which appears to still be considered a bit of a stepchild to all of the aviation developers.

Last edited:
After spending an evening looking at Foreflight, Wings X, Garmin Pilot and Avare all on Youtube, I'm still not sure what I'll use but since all but foreflight are offered for Android, I'm going Nexus 7. I just can't justify paying the extra for the Ipad mini. I just don't see the value, inside or outside of the cockpit. Besides, I may never be an instrument Pilot, so the basics of all products will serve me just fine. There are 3 Nexus 7s in my house, all purchased for heavy handed teenagers and only one new Ipad for the tech-challenged wife who shares recipes with her sisters, via Face time and not a peep out of any of them as far as any technical problems are concerned. My only hope is that the apps and support improve over time for Android, which appears to still be considered a bit of a stepchild to all of the aviation developers.

You chose wisely.

I currently have both FF and Pilot, iPad and Nexus 7. When my FF subscription runs up I will not renew. Main reason: I have an android phone, so FF is not available. Since I do not have internet in my hangar, using Pilot on my phone allows me to get most recent data.

My only hope is that the apps and support improve over time for Android, which appears to still be considered a bit of a stepchild to all of the aviation developers.

It doesn't really matter to me whether my friends have an iPhone or a android, an iPad or a tablet from some other brand.
What I do wonder is why they complain about the lack of compatible apps for their androids when they knew before buying that Apple has the main share of the market on apps. :dunno:

My only hope is that the apps and support improve over time for Android, which appears to still be considered a bit of a stepchild to all of the aviation developers.
Speaking from the perspective of many decades in the technology business, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The iPad was the first to market in this category so naturally the developers headed that way too. It continues to have a dominant installed base, so serves them well in terms of total available market. But it is also an increasingly crowded market.

Android is coming along, so the total available market numbers will come too. But right now it is not a very competitive market -- really Garmin Pilot is the only serious option. That will inevitably change as developers are attracted by the market potential and relative lack of competition. I have seen ads from Hilton looking for Android developers. My personal hope is that they will soon come leaping out of the closet with a full-featured WingX. Undoubtedly the second-tier developers and a hoard of wannabes are also eying the Android market and will show up any day now. OSH will be interesting.

So, bottom line I believe we will have fully competitive products on both platforms within a year or two. I sold my iPad in disgust at the lousy Apple software and bought a Nexus 7. I haven't regretted it so far and I don't expect to.

I just can't justify paying the extra for the Ipad mini. I just don't see the value, inside or outside of the cockpit.

While I don't disagree with your choice, isn't the price differential between a Mini and a Nexus about $80?

While I don't disagree with your choice, isn't the price differential between a Mini and a Nexus about $80?

Newer technology and the great display in the Nexus 7 at a cheaper pricepoint is what drove my decision. If Apple had come out with a mini for less or the same price with retna display and their latest processor, it probably would have been a tougher decision. Apple knew that a large percentage of it's disciples would buy the mini just because it's Apple, so I guess they felt like they didn't have to win us "non-Apple" folks over with the latest advances. The last Apple product I purchased, other than my 4 year old Ipod touch, was a G4 titanium Powerbook. Alas, I'm not a member of the church.

I happened to have an ipad (my daughter's), so I just went with foreflight. If you have an iphone, you can load it on that in addition to an ipad.

I love my Nexus 7, but they ARE more fragile. The screens are NOT as durable. I need to replace mine right now from a very small drop.

Ryan

I made the same choice. I'm a big Apple fan and use their products on a daily basis, but I chose the Nexus 7 based on the the fact that a) I am new to aviation and as such have not developed a preference for one app over the other, so I'm OK with Garmin Pilot and b) I have an Android phone and I like accessing applications I purchase on both devices. And of course the price point. No issues so far. The iPad Mini seems to be built better but it's also more expensive.

What I do wonder is why they complain about the lack of compatible apps for their androids when they knew before buying that Apple has the main share of the market on apps. :dunno:

???

There are more apps available for Android than there are Apple apps.

Don't be spooked from the amazing Nexus 7 by our "tips" thread. Every gripe we've had has been almost immediately addressed by Garmin's amazingly responsive "Pilot" app team of programmers.

The combination of Garmin Pilot, Nexus 7, and GDL-39 ADS-B receiver is nearly perfect for GA flight. Certainly better than any yoke-mounted, purpose-built aviation GPS, with the exception of the Garmin 796.

Of course, the 796 is literally 10-times as expensive, so it follows that there should be some advantage, there.

The N7's advantage over the iPad is obvious, too. Not so much when compared to the iPad Mini, Apple's answer to the Nexus 7, which addressed the size problem in a GA cockpit.

IMHO, if you love ForeFlight, suck it up and spend the money on the iPad Mini. If you love Garmin Pilot, get the Nexus 7, and buy yourself a tank or two of avgas with the money you save.

This guy is $800?! By the time you buy the N7, Garmin Pilot, and the ADS-B you're already priced higher than everything below the 796; it should be better than all of them. I thought the ADS-B was like $250 or something. I understand the extra functionality of the tablet but ouch.

???

There are more apps available for Android than there are Apple apps.

Legitimate apps that are backed by reputable companies that give the user a reasonable amount of freedom and security from viruses and hackers.
Yes, the droid market has more apps but the majority of legit apps are created for the Apple market then maybe the droid market.

Legitimate apps that are backed by reputable companies that give the user a reasonable amount of freedom and security from viruses and hackers. Yes, the droid market has more apps but the majority of legit apps are created for the Apple market then maybe the droid market.
Wow! That KoolAid must have tasted really good.

I ditched my iPad because of the poor quality of Apple's software and their arrogant app management.

• With Android I have many on-screen keyboards to choose from, none of is so stupid that it doesn't show lower-case letters on the keys when typing in lower-case.
  • With Android I can view Flash content on web pages, despite the fact that His Arrogance didn't like Adobe.
  • With Android my browsers are not deliberately crippled. I can run thousands of plug-ins, including such essentials as AdBlock Plus.
  • With Android I have an adult interface to my tablet, not a bloated and ponderous kludge originally designed to sell music to teen-agers.

Re most Android apps having been first created for the Apple market, please cite your basis for this amazing "fact."

I ditched my iPad because of the poor quality of Apple's software and their arrogant app management.

• With Android I have many on-screen keyboards to choose from, none of is so stupid that it doesn't show lower-case letters on the keys when typing in lower-case.
  • With Android I can view Flash content on web pages, despite the fact that His Arrogance didn't like Adobe.
  • With Android my browsers are not deliberately crippled. I can run thousands of plug-ins, including such essentials as AdBlock Plus.
  • With Android I have an adult interface to my tablet, not a bloated and ponderous kludge originally designed to sell music to teen-agers.

Re most Android apps having been first created for the Apple market, please cite your basis for this amazing "fact."

Wow, I am SO glad you posted this -- I couldn't have said it better myself. Better yet, for once it won't be me being the punching bag for the Apple fanbois.

Let the floggings commence! :D

I love the KoolAid, it tastes especially sweet when I drink it around bitter droid users. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I base it on all the complaints from bitter droid users that I see all over the internet, I could post examples but that would decimate the band width of this forum. :wink2:

The fact is I really don't care what platform you use, I just love getting droid users all flustered. :lol:

This guy is $800?! By the time you buy the N7, Garmin Pilot, and the ADS-B you're already priced higher than everything below the 796; it should be better than all of them. I thought the ADS-B was like $250 or something. I understand the extra functionality of the tablet but ouch.

I'm not following. I was comparing the cost of a Nexus 7 to the iPad Mini. The 796 was mentioned mostly for contrast.

The GDL-39 is needed with either choice (Nexus 7 or iPad), so that's a wash. You're gonna spend that money either way, if you want free traffic and weather.

I don't know what ForeFlight costs annually, but I presume it's comparable to Garmin Pilot? They both have subscription costs.

So...the only cost savings between the two options is the difference between the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini. That's a tank or two of avgas.

The 796 is a wonderful machine, but is it worth 1000% more than the Nexus 7/GDL-39/Garmin Pilot combo?

I love the KoolAid, it tastes especially sweet when I drink it around bitter droid users. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I base it on all the complaints from bitter droid users that I see all over the internet, I could post examples but that would decimate the band width of this forum. :wink2:

The fact is I really don't care what platform you use, I just love getting droid users all flustered. :lol:

I've used both platforms extensively. Android is just more powerful, more customizable, and because of this, more intuitive. Anything you can adjust to your individual needs is, by definition, going to be superior.

I liken Android to the fully adjustable hydraulic pilot's seat in my airplane. Apple is more like the rigid copilot's seat. Both do a good job of holding a pilot upright, but which seat would you rather fly?

Apple is "their way, or no way". That's neither user friendly or much fun, IMHO. This is now reflected in the widening advantage Android has in sales and number of available apps.

I love the chart of android fragmentation. It just shows how much better the android ecosystem is. At least they still support old devices. My original iPhone still can't recueve MMS. 3g hasn't had an os update in years and the 3gs is axed as well. Just ask my mother how frustrating being unable to get newer apps is. Android may be fragmented, but at least they don't cut off support and app updates like apple does to force a phone upgrade.

For example my almost 3 year old HTC inspire 4g due to its open nature has jellybean running on it and runs like a champ. Sure I had to root it and install the ROM myself. But for 30 min of my life I think it was worth it. I loan it out to at&t clients when I do screen repair for apple and Samsung phones. I can also replace your nexus screens if they break too. Its a good side business to my computer/webhosting services.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

A newsletter called "iPadPilotNews" thinks Android is no good? No way!
I didn't study the article in detail but I think the main thesis, that the iPad is in the lead for aviation applications due to its large installed base, is correct. iPad hit the market first and has been dominant. It is only recently that Android has really "arrived" as an alternative tablet.

I think the point that they are missing, though, is that competing in the iPad world is tough due to the dominance of ForeFlight. Those guys were in the right place at the right time with a good product. The late-to-market guys like Bendix-King and the stupid AOPA product have an uphill battle.

The other side of the competition coin is that Android is a growing market where a newcomer has a better chance of winning significant share. IMHO that will attract new players and, I hope, bring a really good Android WingX to compete with Garmin Pilot. Maybe ForeFlight will even show up. They'd probably get an instant 20-40% share just for coming to the party.

Over the longer term, again IMHO, all of the flight planners on both platforms will offer the same broad set of features and will be more or less equivalent, differentiated mainly on UI and price. There will be some fluffy and irrelevant feature differences like airport restaurant reviews, fly-in calendars, and photo galleries, etc. but all of them will have a comprehensive, adequate, and common feature set.

In the hardware area, my biggest hope is that we will soon see color e-ink/e-paper displays covering the entire front of the devices. This will eliminate visibility problems in bright ambient light, the backlighting that eats our batteries, and the wasteful borders that make our tablets 20% wider and 20% taller than their displays. That will be a second revolution in the tablet space and my guess is that the first to market will be running Android.

....the 3gs is axed as well. Just ask my mother how frustrating being unable to get newer apps is.

My two year old 3GS gets app updates every day including whatever version of iOS 6 is current. If it ever does get obsoleted by the Gods of Curpertino, I got it to use as a phone, not a pocket computer. Being a smart phone is a bennie, not life esential. Believe it or not, I survived for 60 some years without a smart phone and probably can again. :D

BTW, there are Android and Apple devices in the family and no one has threatened to leave or do a Grievous Bodily Harm on another family member over their choice. Both types of devices have their strong and weak points and "we just get along"

Cheers

Last edited:
My two year old 3GS gets app updates every day including whatever version of iOS 6 is current. If it ever does get obsoleted by the Gods of Curpertino, I got it to use as a phone, not a pocket computer.

If all you need is a dumb phone there were/are way better choices for far less $$$.

If all you need is a dumb phone there were/are way better choices for far less $$$.

What the man meant to say is that the primary reason is to use as a phone and if the Smart Phone functions that are useful like Cloud Ahoy and ForeFlight backup or checking my minuscule bank balance Or reading spam emails become obsolete as suggested by bordman's post before a) it is lost or b) destroyed by towing the Cherokee over it or c) it self destructs like a Mission Impossible device, it will still perform its primary function.

Basically, I doubt it will become obsolete as a Smart Phone as bordman seems to think prior to a or b or c. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm not following. I was comparing the cost of a Nexus 7 to the iPad Mini. The 796 was mentioned mostly for contrast.

The GDL-39 is needed with either choice (Nexus 7 or iPad), so that's a wash. You're gonna spend that money either way, if you want free traffic and weather.

I don't know what ForeFlight costs annually, but I presume it's comparable to Garmin Pilot? They both have subscription costs.

So...the only cost savings between the two options is the difference between the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini. That's a tank or two of avgas.

The 796 is a wonderful machine, but is it worth 1000% more than the Nexus 7/GDL-39/Garmin Pilot combo?

I understand that. I actually just bought a N7 to use when I do start flying again. I was just blown away by the cost of the ADS-B. But what I was referencing was your comment about it being better than anything under a 796. It should be better, that combo costs more than anything under a 796.

I use an HTC Evo 3D Android phone to run Avare, which is completely free! It has full sectionals and I've used it to pull up an approach plate in a pinch. The airport diagrams are geo-referenced and are useful for taxiing at larger airports.

After May 2013 I may finally bite the bullet and buy a Nexus 7 to run Avare. If I did lots of long IFR trips I might get Garmin Pilot because of it's superior flight planning abilities. Avare is a great moving map though.

Supposedly some new version of the Nexus tablet is coming out in May, not sure if it's a new 10" or 7" tablet at this point.

Back