Forget Something?

Ouch... Knew a guy who left the towbar on his Cherokee 6 two days after buying it.

One of my neighbors flew 80 miles with the bar attached to his 182. It banged up the nose wheel cowl pretty bad, but otherwise, it was there and ready when he arrived.

Passengers failed to pay the 'towbar convenience fee'.

From the video it appears they taxied quite a ways. Seems that someone would have said something earlier as it ain't difficult to see that something different is going on under that wing ...

From the video it appears they taxied quite a ways. Seems that someone would have said something earlier as it ain't difficult to see that something different is going on under that wing ...
That’s what I was thinking. I cannot believe that there wasn’t a passenger yelling at the crew or another pilot or controller screaming over the radio.

Ouch... Knew a guy who left the towbar on his Cherokee 6 two days after buying it.

Ooof. This is why the towbar never leaves my hands unless it's secured in its spot inside the plane or hangar. Especially since I don't use them often, every second my eyes/hands aren't on it is another opportunity to forget it exists.

Mom always said, drive along next to a situation and film it for your socials, instead of trying to do something to help the situation. :mad2:

Ooof. This is why the towbar never leaves my hands unless it's secured in its spot inside the plane or hangar. Especially since I don't use them often, every second my eyes/hands aren't on it is another opportunity to forget it exists.

I leave it unattached in front of the nose wheel during pre or post fly. Never have it attached unless actively pushing or pulling.

Joking aside, I wonder what really happened. Having launched countless planes in my time including 737-800s, I just have a hard time with how the incident happened or how it has been described. The article states "The tow bar remained attached below the engine until the pilots stopped taxiing". Of course the tow bar does not attach below the engine, it attaches to the NLG. Sure, it was jammed under the engine once the engine hit the tow bar and began dragging it, and I guess one might call that attached though I do not. What I want to know is whether the tow bar was still attached to the NLG before taxi started or did the taxiing plane pick up the tow bar after it started taxiing? I really doubt it was still attached to the NLG and that it came off after they began taxiing and then got jammed up by the engine. It really makes little sense though I guess I am looking at it through the eyes of someone who always followed proper procedures and always ensured that those around me did as well. I wonder how many links were in that chain of events.

I just saw a video on social media of a United 767 or 777 with towbar attached to the nosewheel running off into the dirt somewhere. I don't know if it broke away from the tug? As with most social media posts, it lacked information about who/what/when/where.

Joking aside, I wonder what really happened. Having launched countless planes in my time including 737-800s, I just have a hard time with how the incident happened or how it has been described. The article states "The tow bar remained attached below the engine until the pilots stopped taxiing". Of course the tow bar does not attach below the engine, it attaches to the NLG. Sure, it was jammed under the engine once the engine hit the tow bar and began dragging it, and I guess one might call that attached though I do not. What I want to know is whether the tow bar was still attached to the NLG before taxi started or did the taxiing plane pick up the tow bar after it started taxiing? I really doubt it was still attached to the NLG and that it came off after they began taxiing and then got jammed up by the engine. It really makes little sense though I guess I am looking at it through the eyes of someone who always followed proper procedures and always ensured that those around me did as well. I wonder how many links were in that chain of events.

Engines on the newer 737s are pretty low slung. From the few pictures, it looks like a tow-bar may have wandered off from its assigned parking location and the plane scooped it up during a turn. In the accompanying video, the sparks are in front of the engine where the bar is being forced into the pavement.

Back