ForeFlight's single biggest flaw

So, nobody at Foreflight has an exacto knife or sharp scissors to cut away the overlap before scanning? Or Photoshop to do the same thing digitally?

Yes, but that's exactly the problem - When the airport info ends up on the overlap, it gets cut off. There's no perfect solution to the problem, but I know it's been tested like mad and improved before.

Yes, but that's exactly the problem - When the airport info ends up on the overlap, it gets cut off. There's no perfect solution to the problem, but I know it's been tested like mad and improved before.

The solution has been given before, and has always been the same as paper charts... to give control back to the pilot for which chart they want to see. In an overlap area, one should be able to tap-hold and switch charts to the overlapped one.

The solution has been given before, and has always been the same as paper charts... to give control back to the pilot for which chart they want to see. In an overlap area, one should be able to tap-hold and switch charts to the overlapped one.

How do you tell the difference between a "show-me-a-different-chart-tap-hold" and an "add-this-spot-to-my-route-tap-hold" though? And how is it intuitive? I think that's why, to my knowledge, none of the EFB apps do such a thing. I'm sure it'll be there eventually, but the implementation could be good, or it could be really bad.

How do you tell the difference between a "show-me-a-different-chart-tap-hold" and an "add-this-spot-to-my-route-tap-hold" though? And how is it intuitive? I think that's why, to my knowledge, none of the EFB apps do such a thing. I'm sure it'll be there eventually, but the implementation could be good, or it could be really bad.

Same way as now. Add it as a menu item after the tap and hold, just like when you tap hold an airport.

I think the EFB makers have gotten lucky that they don't provide the *complete* chart. And that if they don't, it'll be the pilot's head that rolls, not theirs, if something ever happens because of it.

My favorite is the example shown a while back where a very big tower isn't charted on the overlap. That'll be a fun one in court if/when it happens. The EFB folks will just throw it back at the FAA chart folks, and a jury will decide.

Luckily the chances of anything happening are very low. The more likely is an airspace bust and that'll never come back to bite the EFB maker.

There are and have been minor interface problems on the edges of charts in Foreflight but, I believe that most have been resolved with newer chart data input. Hopefully, this will continue to be the case. In the meantime, the latest "feature" release called PACK came along and IMO is a really bad problem. This doesn't mean you should burn your iPad, quick jump to another EFB or march in the streets against Foreflight. But, consider what this wonderful new thing achieves. It puts a little gremlin on your proposed flight path and looks for information which is not downloaded on your machine which they(Foreflight) have decided you might need to complete your trip. This amounts to putting a window, so to speak, on your course and then checking if you have all of the Charts, Notams, Airport catalog info, TFR's and Whatever downloaded. Then compiling a download package for you to enable a button push download of these " missing " items. Doesn't seem to bad you say ? , Seems to be sort of error checking or helping hand ? Well, no, I don't think so. As a matter of fact, it is really more of an encouragement not to have checked necessary items in flight planning and is simply an encouragement to the lazy, careless and worst of all low-time pilot NOT to do the flight planning he/she should do ! It is a much worse thing than the supposed horror of fascination with the magenta line possibly resulting in a less perceptive SEE and AVOID piloting practice. It seems to encourage a "Just let the computer do it" approach. Now all that is required is to pick a route ...JFK to LAX and let pack assure that everything required is downloaded properly. It doesn't matter that there is continuous Prohibited area stretching from Minnesota to south Texas, It's all downloaded and when our intrepid adventurer gets to it he can look up almost anything pertinent when he has (or decides to take) time.

Well, If I have such a strong feeling about this, why don't I complain to Foreflight ? I did, and in fact presumably was able to get it brought to the personal attention of the VP of Product Development. Not that it made any difference, I was advised that "more than one user" had suggested such a capability because they had personally forgotten to download a chart they needed to complete a flight !! And, those experiences, however many of them there were, was the basis for adding this wonderful new capability. In some cases Pack, if used will only add a few hundred MB of downloads and for a reasonably conscientious pilot won't negatively affect his preparation. But, what about the rest ? Pilots misplan their fuel usage, land gear-up and fly smack into weather that is obvious. I don't think this feature adds anything great to Foreflight mobile or Pro. There are many, many features which can be improved to the benefit of all users of Foreflight rather than the few who forget in which state their destination airport is located.

I use and appreciate the many fine features of Foreflight. Hoping this is not the image of a new company evolution. Try PACK and see if you feel there was not something you would have rather had than this.

Spent the first 10 years of my flying dead reckoning and doing flight plans by hand. Having had a cockpit full of crumbled charts, broken scales, highlighters and a spin wheel E6b, I'll happily live with the flaws of today. Foreflight is absolutely amazing.....but I also said that about my first loran. We come a long way, baby :yes:

Spent the first 10 years of my flying dead reckoning and doing flight plans by hand. Having had a cockpit full of crumbled charts, broken scales, highlighters and a spin wheel E6b, I'll happily live with the flaws of today. Foreflight is absolutely amazing.....but I also said that about my first loran. We come a long way, baby :yes:

So, it doesn't matter to you that you might someday be over hostile territory, have an engine failure, look at your ipad but see no alternative because the only airport within glide distance is completely hidden below the "overlap" of the sectional and, as a result, you put your plane into the trees instead of on nice smooth pavement?

It's not rare. It's far more common than you'd expect when you start looking around the perimeter of each sectional in ForeFlight.

Try PACK and see if you feel there was not something you would have rather had than this.

I've tried it and think it's probably a worthwhile addition. The only issue I see is if someone does this at the last minute and they're on cellular, they could consume a lot of data grabbing everything FF thinks you need.

I don't think the fact that some lazy pilots may abuse such a feature doesn't negate the benefits for the vast majority who'll have the peace of mind that they're no missing anything once they get in the air.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of Pack is to ensure that the data for your planned route is available offline one you're done planning and no longer have network access. With the exception of charts selected and downloaded, everything else in ForeFlight is pulled over an active connection as needed. I see no issue with Pack, and think that it is a great addition. It in no way discourages proper planning; it simply ensures that the data is there when the network connection is not.

JKG

So, it doesn't matter to you that you might someday be over hostile territory, have an engine failure, look at your ipad but see no alternative because the only airport within glide distance is completely hidden below the "overlap" of the sectional and, as a result, you put your plane into the trees instead of on nice smooth pavement?

It's not rare. It's far more common than you'd expect when you start looking around the perimeter of each sectional in ForeFlight.

If I have an emergency and need to put it down somewhere, I'm not looking at a sectional, I'm looking out the window. Maybe I look at "nearest locations," but that doesn't require that I look at the sectional.

I haven't noticed any hidden airports at the overlaps, but I'd be interested in some examples. I would agree that the overlaps aren't perfect, but I'm not sure that is an issue created by nor exclusive to ForeFlight.

JKG

If I have an emergency and need to put it down somewhere, I'm not looking at a sectional, I'm looking out the window. Maybe I look at "nearest locations," but that doesn't require that I look at the sectional.

When I had my one actual engine failure, the airport I dead sticked to and landed at was fives miles directly behind me. Would have never seen it out of the window,

And, don't get me wrong, I too LOVE ForeFlight. This issue is significant IMO though.

When I had my one actual engine failure, the airport I dead sticked to and landed at was fives miles directly behind me. Would have never seen it out of the window,

And, don't get me wrong, I too LOVE ForeFlight. This issue is significant IMO though.

When I had an engine hiccup at night, the first thing I looked at was the MFD moving map page. I noticed an airport directly below us. Thankfully it was just a hiccup.

I'm fine with pack. The tool is supposed to make life easier, not train newbies. And agreed, chart stitching isn't a FF only problem.

Ff is still the best out there. The phone interface got a bit painful a while back but the phone is the backup for the second iPad anyway at this point. Don't expect to use the phone as the only backup as you once could, however. I liked it better when the two interfaces were identical but I guess they couldn't maintain that. It's really an iPad only application these days.

I use and appreciate the many fine features of Foreflight. Hoping this is not the image of a new company evolution. Try PACK and see if you feel there was not something you would have rather had than this.

No, there's not.

It's not like people weren't planning flights - The problem is that when you had to select charts by state, it was easy to miss one if you were just cutting a corner as states aren't marked very clearly on sectionals.

Pack allows you to automatically download all the charts you need. It doesn't help you plan the flight at all. Frankly, anyone who isn't planning their flights now that Pack is here wasn't planning their flights before either - They could just as easily select all of the states in Downloads.

What Pack *does* do that's MUCH better than before is to grab all NOTAMs, METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, and fuel prices just prior to takeoff so that they're available in case of a diversion. It in no way takes the place of a briefing, but it does give you the absolute last-minute state before flight so you can have the best information available in flight. There's no way you could copy all that down nearly as fast or as close to takeoff time if you were getting it via a phone call with a briefer.

Given all of that, it's a major improvement IMO. It hasn't changed my flight planning at all, it's just reduced the amount of futzing I need to do to get the correct charts downloaded and given me better, more up-to-date info.

Thoughts on that, EdgeFly?

Back