Foreflight

Torque beast

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
My subscription is due and was wondering if any of you have tried the performance plus version and could share your thoughts between the that and the pro version. Just trying to see if it is worth it to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody uses foreflight?

I haven't upgraded to performance plus, but there's not a lot there to justify it for me.

the nice thing about ForeFlight is you can upgrade and downgrade as you wish. If you upgrade and change your mind, it will prorate the cost when you downgrade and your account will have a balance that can be used later.

I haven't upgraded to performance plus, but there's not a lot there to justify it for me.

the nice thing about ForeFlight is you can upgrade and downgrade as you wish. If you upgrade and change your mind, it will prorate the cost when you downgrade and your account will have a balance that can be used later.

That is the way I am leaning as well, just stick with the pro but want to make sure I’m not missing anything because I can get an extra 3 months if I go to the plus

I have Performance Plus. I subscribed to it this year because of their 1-year deal including Jepp charts. Having used them in the past I was curious at their digital integration into ForeFlight and PerfPlus with Jepp was cheaper than just adding Jepp.

I probably won't keep it after the current subscription is over. Most of the PerfPlus features are targeted at the Part 91F corporate jet market (and maybe a little Part 135). Most of it I simply wouldn't (and haven't) used. The only feature which is somewhat intriguing is the airport 3D view and flight review but I don't think it's all that good - certainly not worth the price of admission.

I have Performance Plus. I subscribed to it this year because of their 1-year deal including Jepp charts. Having used them in the past I was curious at their digital integration into ForeFlight and PerfPlus with Jepp was cheaper than just adding Jepp.

I probably won't keep it after the current subscription is over. Most of the PerfPlus features are targeted at the Part 91F corporate jet market (and maybe a little Part 135). Most of it I simply wouldn't (and haven't) used. The only feature which is somewhat intriguing is the airport 3D view and flight review but I don't think it's all that good - certainly not worth the price of admission.

Thanks, good info I will stick with the pro

I have performance plus, works for me. It's a very small part of the cost of flying for me, so I don't think about the cost.

If FltPlan Go added support for terrain and for my traffic and weather devices, I'd be out of reasons to pay a subscription for any EFB (I'm with Garmin Pilot on Android right now). When I'm flying, I really don't want to spend much time playing with my tablet -- I appreciate a moving map, weather and traffic displays, terrain/obstacles, and a georeferenced approach or taxi plate. What else is worth the distraction when you're busy operating an aircraft? I understand that Garmin and ForeFlight are adding more and more features to compete with each-other, but I think they're both far past the point of diminishing returns.

If FltPlan Go added support for terrain and for my traffic and weather devices, I'd be out of reasons to pay a subscription for any EFB (I'm with Garmin Pilot on Android right now). When I'm flying, I really don't want to spend much time playing with my tablet -- I appreciate a moving map, weather and traffic displays, terrain/obstacles, and a georeferenced approach or taxi plate. What else is worth the distraction when you're busy operating an aircraft? I understand that Garmin and ForeFlight are adding more and more features to compete with each-other, but I think they're both far past the point of diminishing returns.
It's kind if what you are used to, and I think distraction is a response not a stimulus.

I'm a 9+ year Foreflight user who has used almost all of the others at one time or another. I currently have 4 iOS EFBs and 3 Android EFBs active, one of which is my go-to backup. While I can definitely get by with nothing more than a non-moving map and a non-georeferenced approach plate (BTDT), I don't see myself giving up Foreflight as long as I fly IFR. I've simply gotten used to a number of additional features (while ignoring others completely) and the flow of the program. None is a distraction and most are a welcome assist in high workload situations.

it's more about the pilot and the app with almost no wrong answers.

It's kind if what you are used to, and I think distraction is a response not a stimulus.

I'm a 9+ year Foreflight user who has used almost all of the others at one time or another. I currently have 4 iOS EFBs and 3 Android EFBs active, one of which is my go-to backup. While I can definitely get by with nothing more than a non-moving map and a non-georeferenced approach plate (BTDT), I don't see myself giving up Foreflight as long as I fly IFR. I've simply gotten used to a number of additional features (while ignoring others completely) and the flow of the program. None is a distraction and most are a welcome assist in high workload situations.

it's more about the pilot and the app with almost no wrong answers.
True, but there are a lot of accident reports showing up now for pilots bending their planes or taxiing into things while fixated on their tablets, so I don't think everyone has learned to handle it as well as you have. On principle, when you're engaged in a critical operation, you need the right information and no more — otherwise, unless you have a very disciplined mind (and aren't tired after a long flight and/or under stress), the important information will start to get lost in the noise. More information is usually a bad thing, once it's past that threshold of the info you actually need.

I'm not proposing that we go back to paper maps and plates (though I quite like them). Like I mentioned in the post you're replying to, moving maps with weather, traffic, and terrain and georeferenced digital approach plates are genuinely-useful things that reduce the pilot's distraction from primary flying tasks (less map folding, calling FlightWatch, etc). Ditto for the stuff that we used to have to calculate on an E6B, like groundspeed and ETA.

The problem is that the EFBs hit those high-value points very early, then they were stuck with the challenges of a) How do we make a claim we're better than our competitors? and b) How do we convince our existing users to spend more? The answer was to add more and more eye candy, low-value features that look impressive but that tend to pull the pilot's attention away from flying instead of freeing up more of the pilot's time to concentrate on it. At this point, though, they're mainly solving problems for the marketing department, not problems for the pilot in the cockpit.

Last edited:
True, but there are a lot of accident reports showing up now for pilots bending their planes or taxiing into things while fixated on their tablets, so I don't think everyone has learned to handle it as well as you have.
That's why I said distraction is a response not a stimulus.

But I'm nothing special. I think more have learned to handle it than not. Pretty sure the number of tablet distraction accidents you mention pale in relation to the number of pilots using EFBs (which applies to modern cockpit technology too - no one is required to be a child of the magenta).

That's why I said distraction is a response not a stimulus.

But I'm nothing special. I think more have learned to handle it than not. Pretty sure the number of tablet distraction accidents you mention pale in relation to the number of pilots using EFBs (which applies to modern cockpit technology too - no one is required to be a child of the magenta).
Good points. But again, I'm not objecting to EFBs -- I think they have the potential for some real safety improvements, so we're in loud agreement on that point.

What troubles me is the featuritis that tends to overtake them, beyond the stuff that we actually know makes flying safer. Elevated cognitive overhead from too much information is a real risk, and while it's possible to manage it, it's much better to avoid it in the first place.

My subscription is due and was wondering if any of you have tried the performance plus version and could share your thoughts between the that and the pro version. Just trying to see if it is worth it to upgrade

If you don't have a turbocharged or turbine aircraft and you're happy with the Pro version right now, there's not much reason to upgrade.

If you don't have a turbocharged or turbine aircraft and you're happy with the Pro version right now, there's not much reason to upgrade.

Thx for the feedback and I just stayed with the pro. Does everything I need.

Some good discussion on features with these tools. I think the 3D feature to check route would be cool to use as well as other features BUT I think I would mainly use them on a pre flight not in the air. While in the air I use the map with my sentry to look for traffic and avoid weather which is my priority. I also scan for airports within my glide range as I’m flying cross country and use scratch pad to make notes as needed from conversation with ATC. So basically my iPad is part of my scan but don’t spend a lot of time on it while flying however I use it a lot while on the ground planning.

Back