Foreflight, you had one job! (logbook)

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
WTF....

I use foreflight A LOT (ForeFlight Pro US/CA), between work and my own flying it gets a good amount of use from me, so I decided to transfer over everything, my trusty excel logbook and all, over to foreflight logbook.

Lots I like, but one big azz problem, on the webpage it shows my correct times, on my ipad running iOS 10.2.1 and FF 9.5.3 is shows all the flights, BUTTTT in the summary page it only shows like half my flight time, my iphone on iOS 9.1 running FF7.6.1 (jailbroken so I dont want to downgrade to a newer iOS) I can input flights, but it doesnt show ANY of my prior flight times.

I mean it seems like a really simple task, tally up hours, display hours, not sure why I see a disparity between devices, of course FFs' slow tech support only had the "well you could try updating" to say, even though I said I cant update my phone.

Any thoughts beyond FFs pre canned answer?

*Side note I used convertmylogbook.com to convert my one off custom excel logbook to a FF compatible import file, hundred plus sheets and thousands of hours, comments and custom fields, they did a knock out job and provided very tailored support. A++

Someday when it runs on Trappelzoids I'll look at it again.

That's it.. Trappelzoid. The OS to replace iOS and Android. And keep everyone trapped in apps.

[Must call the patent office]

I looked at it, wasn't obvious how to add my existing hours, so I stopped looking.

Are you talking about total time or some of the sub category totals???

Are you talking about total time or some of the sub category totals???

Well it depends

The foreflight webpage is accurate

The iPad total time is a couple thousand hours off, but currency is accurate and I can view all my flights good all the way back

The iPhone just shows 0s for everything, total time/currency/qualifications/etc

I thought we had some foreflight pros here, help a brother out!

I was thinking about transferring mine, but not so sure now.

It's a really cool layout, and I like how it works, hoping this is a quasi simple fix, but foreflight email only tech support kinda sucks, which does bother me seeing how I pay like $200 a year for the app.

If it's a large dataset, I'd try importing a subset of it to see if the failure is a function of size.
I'd also eyeball the raw data to make sure there aren't any oddities in the conversion.

If it's a large dataset, I'd try importing a subset of it to see if the failure is a function of size.
I'd also eyeball the raw data to make sure there aren't any oddities in the conversion.

Interesting.

So here's how the import went, I manually input a couple large catch up entries for my first logbook of like 500hrs, basically I made a few flights at the last day of that log, used N0 and just made like 4 entires, one was a bulk SEL, SES, MEL, six, then I had that logbook conversion service I mentioned in my first post convert my multi sheet excel log into a importable one, that log had about 4K hours.

Off foreflight.com my log is accurate

iPad shows like 2500 hours

iPhone shows 0 hours.

It's a really cool layout, and I like how it works, hoping this is a quasi simple fix, but foreflight email only tech support kinda sucks, which does bother me seeing how I pay like $200 a year for the app.

I know you did yours by importing a file. I wonder if that is part of it, having a problem converting it correctly. I would have to do every flight manually. Maybe that would make a difference.

One question since I have never used an electronic logbook before. My original logbook obviously has where the instructor signed certain entires. Also some of the actual comments from the instructors are hard to read. How do you deal with that including endorsements, etc? And do you continue to keep a physical logbook for backup and log all your flights in it?

Actually I only imported my last electronic log, I did a a few manual lump entries for my first paper log, of that makes sense

I just forwarded the totals from my first paper log, if I needed to import a signature I'd scan it and save it as a photo for that flight into foreflight, foreflight does have the ability to have a CFI with foreflight digitally sign your log too.

For past endorsements I just put that I had them and the date I got them under "qualifications", if anyone needs proof I have my original paper log plus a scanned version of it in a few places.

All this being said, though I like the layout, I can't really recommend foreflight logs until I get this resolved. Especially as a professional pilot, this is kinda annoying, and foreflight slow and lacking response does not help me sleep easy with them being the keeper of my hours.

Last edited:
ForeFlight’s “core business” isn’t logbooks. That’s enough to keep me away from their logbook product. It’ll always be an afterthought inside the company.

ForeFlight’s “core business” isn’t logbooks. That’s enough to keep me away from their logbook product. It’ll always be an afterthought inside the company.

True, but pushing a poorly implemented product, especially one as important as a log, double especially when many users put food on their table as working pilots and are hired based off their logs, its enough to make me question the entire company.

True, but pushing a poorly implemented product, especially one as important as a log, double especially when many users put food on their table as working pilots and are hired based off their logs, its enough to make me question the entire company.

I think they’re just playing the “make the feature list longer” marketing game. I never even gave it a second thought not to use their logbook.

It now just sits there with badge alerts saying it tracked new flights and put them in the logbook and I ignore it.

I think they’re just playing the “make the feature list longer” marketing game. I never even gave it a second thought not to use their logbook.

It now just sits there with badge alerts saying it tracked new flights and put them in the logbook and I ignore it.

The track thing and how it looks up instrument approaches and distances is really cool, just crazy they can't get the basic storing and syncing hours right

Foreflight is very very similar. Myflightbook was first. But hey who am I to accuse Foreflight of copying.

I like to think that they were inspired by my approach.

I've had zero issued with FF logbook, and I've used it exclusively for just over a year.

Now I didn't do any importing. I played with it to test it out, and it worked fine. I just didn't want to convert all my paper to digital. So I put the totals from the paper logbook as one flight. if I really need to know all the breakdowns of what's in the paper logbook, I can just go to it.

And I don't use the flight track feature / auto-log thing. I manually enter every time. Works like a charm and seamlessly syncs across all devices.

Wish I could help with the issue!

Hmm mine works great

I've never received a "canned answer" from ForeFlight. All my various tech questions and feature suggestions to team@foreflight.com have been personally replied to within an hour.

What did you hear back from them?

Back