ForeFlight winds aloft detail question

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
When I’m in Flights and look at cruise alt I get much more segmented info on winds aloft than when flying along in maps... is there anyway to see the more detailed winds aloft while flying?

7819B633-8074-46C6-8938-82AC2510FD36.png

So many more increments...

In flight map I get B0496708-8391-473B-A4EF-F29ACA0685AC.jpeg

anyway of accessing the more incremental detail in flight?

Also, it's important to realize that the wind shown in Flights, or FPL/Altitude, the wind given there (6 kts tailwind at 3000 in your example) is an average over the course of your flight. Which means, if you're traveling a decent distance and the winds change, the best altitude may change too. So, while 7,500 may be the best altitude overall, that only applies if you were to only fly at one altitude. It's possible that you could make the flight quicker by flying the first half at 5500 and the second half at 9500, or some other numbers. But the basic planning options in Foreflight don't make that easy to determine.

Also, it's important to realize that the wind shown in Flights, or FPL/Altitude, the wind given there (6 kts tailwind at 3000 in your example) is an average over the course of your flight. Which means, if you're traveling a decent distance and the winds change, the best altitude may change too. So, while 7,500 may be the best altitude overall, that only applies if you were to only fly at one altitude. It's possible that you could make the flight quicker by flying the first half at 5500 and the second half at 9500, or some other numbers. But the basic planning options in Foreflight don't make that easy to determine.

excellent point! that makes a lot of sense...

flying a Cessna 140 altitude hunting requires a decent investment of time just for the hunt... so if the hunt for best winds ends in failure- you really have given up a lot and cost yourself some real time... so I’m trying to get as smart about it as I can the more and more I’m flying long distances with her.

It also means I have to calculate/guesstimate if the climb is worth it... if it’s a nominal gain in tailwind or decease of headwind but a long treck upwards it may not be worth it... she’s no homesick angel close to terra firma let alone a mile plus above it.

If that makes sense ..

excellent point! that makes a lot of sense...

flying a Cessna 140 altitude hunting requires a decent investment of time just for the hunt... so if the hunt for best winds ends in failure- you really have given up a lot and cost yourself some real time... so I’m trying to get as smart about it as I can the more and more I’m flying long distances with her.

It also means I have to calculate/guesstimate if the climb is worth it... if it’s a nominal gain in tailwind or decease of headwind but a long treck upwards it may not be worth it... she’s no homesick angel close to terra firma let alone a mile plus above it.

If that makes sense ..

If you really want to be accurate - Start with ForeFlight Performance (to get more accurate climb measurement) and look at what it says for overall flight time. Then, turn on the Winds Aloft layer and see if there's a significant difference in magnitude and/or direction during the flight. If not, pick whatever altitude looks best for time/fuel in the Altitude Advisor. If there will be a significant difference, well, take advantage of it.

If you really want to be accurate - Start with ForeFlight Performance (to get more accurate climb measurement) and look at what it says for overall flight time. Then, turn on the Winds Aloft layer and see if there's a significant difference in magnitude and/or direction during the flight. If not, pick whatever altitude looks best for time/fuel in the Altitude Advisor. If there will be a significant difference, well, take advantage of it.

shoot I only have pro plus... wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade

shoot I only have pro plus... wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade

Depends on what you mean by "worth it". Will it save you money? No, not unless you have something with a turbine or a turbo. But you will get all the features, including all the cool new ones, and the most accurate performance information possible.

Depends on what you mean by "worth it". Will it save you money? No, not unless you have something with a turbine or a turbo. But you will get all the features, including all the cool new ones, and the most accurate performance information possible.

right, I’ll have to think about it. Wish there was a feee trial of upgrades

Back