ForeFlight w/ IPad 3G/4G

Cooter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Cooter
If I use ForeFlight but do not care about ADS/B or WX but want to be able to access airport date, appch plates, charts, etc. without previously having download them, can I do that with just the IPad or do I need the Stratus as well? I am trying to decide whether to purchase a 3G/4G IPad or a Stratus. I don't fly very often and am only really interested in the moving map and access to plates, charts, AFD, and Metars. Can I skip the Stratus and just use the IPad GPS?

3G or 4G versions will get you the internal GPS reciever. The wifi only version does not have a wifi receiver, you'll need an outside source. I use the Bad Elf Pro, I have wifi only.

Every FBO has wifi so you can get your updates before you fly. Worse case, turn your cell phone into a wifi hotspot (tether) your iPad to the phone data plan, get what you need and disconnect.

You can get the 3/4G model to get the GPS, you do not have to activate the data service to use the GPS.

The stratus does not download the charts, IAP, or preflight weather. That comes over wifi or a data plan before you launch. The stratus only gets you weather, traffic, updates inflight from an FAA ADSB broadcast tower, and GPS input.

I think I understand your question. you can have access to plates, charts, AFD with just Foreflight. You can get the metars also with just Foreflight but only on the ground or maybe flying low enough to get cell phone coverage (your iPad will need to have 3G/4G plan activated). Realistically, however, if you want reliable metar updates while flying you will need Stratus.

I think I understand your question. you can have access to plates, charts, AFD with just Foreflight. You can get the metars also with just Foreflight but only on the ground or maybe flying low enough to get cell phone coverage (your iPad will need to have 3G/4G plan activated). Realistically, however, if you want reliable metar updates while flying you will need Stratus.

You don't need $900 stratus. Build your own reciever for under $150. It's called Stratux. Check out the ADS-B $113 build in the technical section on POA or look at Stratux.me web site. Works great with ForeFlight, wingx and other programs.

You don't need $900 stratus. Build your own reciever for under $150. It's called Stratux. Check out the ADS-B $113 build in the technical section on POA or look at Stratux.me web site. Works great with ForeFlight, wingx and other programs.

Yes, another option for inflight weather.

With the "Pack" feature, much of what you want can be downloaded just prior to the flight and leaving range of a solid WiFi signal.

I have a Dual XPS150 GPS puck that I'd sell for $85 including shipping. I just need to dig in the aviation closet to find it. That would do a better GPS reception than your iPad without breaking the bank. And give you better battery life.

Attachments

• 51FcZY5%2B5CL._SY300_.jpg
    51FcZY5%2B5CL._SY300_.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 13
Many of us fly with ForeFlight only. My first was ipad Gen 1 with 3G so it had the Internal GPS. Worked fine, no inflight weather updates or traffic picture. GPS would sometimes lose lock depending on where I had it in the cockpit.

I now fly with iPad Air2 wifi only. I use BadElf Pro+ for GPS, better data. I would get my flight planing weather and updates before launch and go fly.

This week I added Stratux ADS-B 978UAT reciever to the picture. Now I get inflight weather update and traffic information.

Thanks for all the good info. I didn't realize there were other options besides Stratus. I only plan to fly VFR, and then only occasionally so I am mostly interested in the GPS. The other stuff would be nice but not necessary. Stratus seemed way overpriced for how I would be using it. I'll check out some of those options, thanks!

If I use ForeFlight but do not care about ADS/B or WX but want to be able to access airport date, appch plates, charts, etc. without previously having download them, can I do that with just the IPad or do I need the Stratus as well? I am trying to decide whether to purchase a 3G/4G IPad or a Stratus. I don't fly very often and am only really interested in the moving map and access to plates, charts, AFD, and Metars. Can I skip the Stratus and just use the IPad GPS?
Just to go back to the original question because the part I boldde leads me to be unsure of your level of understanding of how data gets onto a tablet.

There really is no way to access that information in flight without previously having downloaded it (even with a Stratus).

The charts have to get into the app some way, and that is going to be by some data connection, whether WiFi or 3G/4G. Most 3G/4G connections are not robust for the job even on the ground and I doubt you'd get a good enough signal to download a sectional in flight that you didn't already have.

I suppose most do what I do. Choose which area's charts we want (I do about half of the country) and let them, and their updates download into the system at home using my home WiFi connection, with weather and whatever updates may have been missed downloaded at the FBO before I get in the airplane.

You're right. I confused what had been put in a binder with what had been downloaded. I took off on a trip recently and had loaded the wrong plates into my destination binder. For some reason I thought when I retrieved them they were downloading through the Stratus but now I realize the entire state had been downloaded beforehand. So the GPS is all I really need. The Bad Elf option looks like what I need.

Thanks for the offer. I'll Google that and read about it. I'm technically challenged so I normally buy something in a box that comes with instructions (and customer support). :mad2: I'm thinking the Bad Elf would make an easy idea for my Christmas list, but I'll take a look at what you've got.

Thanks for the offer. I'll Google that and read about it. I'm technically challenged so I normally buy something in a box that comes with instructions (and customer support). :mad2: I'm thinking the Bad Elf would make an easy idea for my Christmas list, but I'll take a look at what you've got.

The one I'm offering is about as easy as it gets. Once charged up, you just turn it on, put on the glareshield, and then pair to your tablet/phone via bluetooth.

As extra incentive, I'll toss in a $25 coupon from my business.

A $25 coupon to Rudy's BBQ would be more enticing.:yesnod: I don't remember much about Denton, but I do remember Rudy's brisket!

The XGPS150 is as easy to use as the BadElf - assuming that you are at least "technically savvy" enough to be able to use a Bluetooth earpiece, speaker or car module with your phone. If you are looking at the Bluetooth BadElf, it will work the same.

If the BadElf you are looking at is the plug-in type, consider a few possible drawbacks (some of which led to my decision to go Bluetooth rather than plug-in for external GPS with my first iPad almost 5 years ago):

• The GPS unit is down where your iPad is. If you are one of the folks who might get some cockpit interference with a tablet's internal GPS because of its placement, you may get it with the BadElf as well (this is not a problem for a lot of happy BadElf users). A Bluetooth unit canbe tossed up on the glareshield with a better view of the sky.
  • Which iPad connector - dock or lightning? Not so much about getting the right one as the mere fact that Apple has changed the connector and might do so again. Yeah, there will be some adapter available but why have to extend the connection further?
  • I know there have also been a few reports of breakage at the connector point, at least with the older dock connector.

Back