Foreflight vs. ???

In a market as fickle as mobile software it better be. Ask anyone that still develops apps for blackberry. ..

Again, your theory doesn't hold water. See Foreflight.

Will iOS continue on as the future market leader? Who knows. But you come from a long line of tech "experts" who've trumpeted the demise of Apple, only to end up eating their words.

Again, your theory doesn't hold water. See Foreflight.

Will iOS continue on as the future market leader? Who knows. But you come from a long line of tech "experts" who've trumpeted the demise of Apple, only to end up eating their words.

Lets be frank, if jobs didn't bring out the idevice apple would be gone by now. They have run out of innovations right now. ..they better invent something new awfully quickly.

You be "frank", I will be honest: your claims lack reality. Reality tells us there would be no Android without Apple. Same for digital music stores, desktop publishing, the list goes on.

I'm sure there are plenty of great Android-based EFB options out there and more to come. Great. The more competition the better!

I'm moving on from this discussion. I have a six-year-old who does a much better job at arguing like a brick wall and making up whacky claims!

Lets be frank, if jobs didn't bring out the idevice apple would be gone by now. They have run out of innovations right now. ..they better invent something new awfully quickly.

Apple was doing just fine building Mac market share before the "idevice," unless you include the iMac as an "idevice," and they continue to do so, even winning Mac platform support from major enterprise IT departments. Apple's iOS platform is and continues to be the preferred platform in the enterprise space, relative to Android. And iOS is still strongly preferred by developers, despite having to subject their apps to Apple's review and revenue sharing arrangements.

Who sells the most phones is mostly irrelevant. Platform market share is important, but Android is so fragmented that an aggregate number really doesn't provide an accurate picture of available market share for developers. There are many factors that go into a business decision to support a particular platform, not the least of which are the risks and costs associated with doing so. If I have an application that will only run on certain parts of the platform, or on certain hardware, the aggregate marketshare isn't available to me at any given time. Apple for the most part does not have this problem with iOS.

I believe that the quick proliferation of Android devices is the result of a combination of Google giving the platform away to anyone willing to build an Android device, and an abundance of cheap hardware vendors willing to do so. Carriers much prefer the Android platform because there is greater margin potential attached to Android devices, but there is a reason why carriers who don't have the iPhone are still scrambling to carry it. That is not the sign of a dying platform.

Although I use Google cloud services, I don't especially trust Google. Apple makes money on hardware and software, but Google makes money on big data mining; specifically, prying into every area of my electronic life, collecting my information, and selling it to others. However, Google and Amazon both crush Apple when it comes to delivering cloud services, despite Apple dumping billions into iCloud (and still partly relying on Amazon and Microsoft to help deliver it). I believe Apple's failure to right the ship with their cloud service is perhaps the first major failure of leadership without Steve Jobs. Cloud is essential in an increasingly mobile world, and a key value proposition for mobile devices, and Apple been sitting on its hands for far too long.

Although not perfect, the ForeFlight guys still do what they do better than anyone else, and I've tried most of the competition. There is no substitute for quality, and ForeFlight is certainly the quality leader, despite not being the leader with features. Particularly in aviation, quality is more important than features, and it would be a shame if ForeFlight would ship half-baked software because they chose to engage in a features war. Choice is a great thing, but not if it's a choice between mutiple mediocre products.

JKG

Last edited:
We've got WingX and ForeFlight installed on our flight department iPads. Everyone in our department has gravitated to use ForeFlight exclusively. I haven't even opened up WingX for the past 3 or 4 months. Usually, no one even bothers to keep WingX updated. Take that for what it's worth.

I wonder about those Android vs iOS (or Android vs iPhone) numbers. I see them a lot, but I work on a really big website and for us Android traffic is a small fraction of the iOS traffic we see. In fact, I saw recently a shocking stat that 10% of our traffic (total traffic, not just mobile devices) was from iPads running iOS 6. We do 10+ Terabytes of traffic per day, so I'm talking about a lot of users. Maybe it's about demographics, I dunno.

I wonder about those Android vs iOS (or Android vs iPhone) numbers. I see them a lot, but I work on a really big website and for us Android traffic is a small fraction of the iOS traffic we see. In fact, I saw recently a shocking stat that 10% of our traffic (total traffic, not just mobile devices) was from iPads running iOS 6. We do 10+ Terabytes of traffic per day, so I'm talking about a lot of users. Maybe it's about demographics, I dunno.

90% of my POA traffic is iPad!

I am not surprised. In the corporate world, pretty much all the executive cell phone issues are Android, because companies can get them for free or next to it and people primarily use them as Blackberry replacements (email only).

Note that tablets don't appear to be included in Nick's numbers. That makes a huge difference.

Also, I see that iPhone users download 37% more applications. As a developer, if I can get an easy cut of the money, it's easy to support all the devices (including the tablets), and the users are downloading more apps, then iOS makes a lot more sense.

I would also bet that aviation users are skewed much more towards iOS simply because full-featured aviation apps for Android didn't really come about until the last year or so.

I'd sure be a happier ForeFlight customer if...

1. It had synthetic vision
2. The street maps worked without needing internet connection
3. You could see a terrain graph when flight planning and colored terrain warnings
4. They did a better job of map alignment
5. There were split screen options
6. you could plan flights for multiple altitudes

I have tried WingX and didn't care for the layout, but I do think it offers more for your $$. I will prob stay with ForeFlight for another year and see where they go with it. Its more useful to me at this stage for flight planning than actually needing what it doesn't have. I do hope they bring those features in the near future.

I too am coming up on the end of my second year of Foreflight use and am extremely pleased with it. I plan on beginning evaluation of Garmin in June, so that if I can't live without it, I'll know before my FF subscription is up in late July.

If for no other reason, I would like to stay with FF, just because I am competent with it. Starting over with something else, will involve a learning curve that I don't want to go through while flying solo.

I just doubled down on FF. Got the upgraded subscription, and received my Stratus yesterday. I love my I-pad and my I-phone.

Apple may be making a HUGE profit (what's new, they overprice everything so that they do),

Ugg. I can't stand such misguided econ statements. Every corporation tries to maximize profits. But raising the price does not always result in increased profit. If the foregoing statement were not true, every seller would raise their prices. If Apple really were overpricing their products, they would hurt their total profits. Why do you think they periodically reduce the prices on their products? There is a difference between maximizing per unit profits and maximizing total profits.

.... raising the price does not always result in increased profit.

Ugg. I can't stand such misguided econ statements - nothing always results in increased profit..... and if their profits were not ridiculous they wouldn't have 157 BILLION in cash.

Of course nothing always results in in increased profits. Still, the assumption that because something is "overpriced" means apple must be raking in huge profits is fundamentally ignorant. Certainly you can't be claiming the contrary.

Ugg. I can't stand such misguided econ statements - nothing always results in increased profit..... and if their profits were not ridiculous they wouldn't have 157 BILLION in cash.

Their profits aren't "ridiculous," they are in-line with other large innovative companies that produce high-quality products. I'm really not sure who gets to decide what "ridiculous" is, anyway.

Apple holds lots of cash because they understand the concept of controlling internal costs and saving, much to the chagrin of many investors, who would like larger and more frequent dividend payments and greater investment into growth. Apple has typically always been conservative with money, perhaps one of the few areas in which their philosophy and behavior can be described as "conservative." Many companies have been hoarding cash over the last 5 years, to help mitigate risk to the business in the recent era of government hostility and regulatory uncertainty.

JKG

Back