Foreflight vs. WingX Shootout?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
Okay folks! There seem to be many similarities and many differences in the two.

Is anyone up for doing a shootout between the two? Maybe such a thing has already be done.

I'm not looking for a blind Ford Vs. Chevy opinion type debate. I would like to see actual and fair comparisons of the two.

To start off is there anyone here who has used both to a reasonable extent?

Here's something I found to prime the pump:

http://bonanza36.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/foreflight-mobile-hd-or-wingx-7pro/

I had them both installed on my iPad for awhile to compare. Here is my conclusion:

Both are amazing. What can be done today with iPad technology is simply amazing. With that said,

Foreflight; I'm not a fan of NOS charts but understand why they use them...cost. The cost of putting Jepps on it is a non-starter. I do like the GPS charting, especially on the airport diagram at larger airports.

Mostly I use the enroute charts. Sectional (mostly) and the low and high IFR charts to figure out my amended clearances. There is a ton of useful information in Foreflight about airports (more than I could ever need...but hey, it's there and more is better, right?) but what I REALLY like is if you tap the little airport thumbnail it enlarges and shows where the FBOs are. It's better than the fltplan.com app that only some times lists them. I've had 100% success with this feature in Foreflight.

WingX: I really liked the multiple panels. It's a super feature and to tell the truth I was on the fence for quite awhile for that reason alone. All the other features seemed to be there so, to me, it seemed WingX was in the lead.

But WingX had one flaw and that turned out to be the deal breaker for me. When you pinch-and-zoom on WingX the route disappears and redraws itself after the new zoom level is set. So, if I'm trying to zoom into a portion of my route this flaw makes it very difficult. I found that I often zoomed in to a spot and while I patiently waited for the route to redraw I'd eventually realise that the route was off screen. I'm too busy in the cockpit to go through this time consuming cycle every time I zoom the map. Plus, many times when I'm zooming it's for a reason...an important reason like I need info right NOW and don't have time to screw around with it.

Foreflight does not have this problem. When you pinch-and-zoom on Foreflight the route does not disappear. It stays onscreen and I can easily drill down to the information I need.

So, in the end I deleted WingX and use Foreflight and Jepp TC for my inflight iPad charting needs.

I think Alon uses Wing-X but not sure. I think its because Wing-X has charts outside the US and he lives in Israel.

Hi Doc,

The primary reason I went with WingX is the terrain feature. I live in Utah where the "cumulogranite" (as I like to call the mountains) get pretty high so when flying over them at night it's nice to know where they are.

There are other fun little features I like but one of the new ones that came out with this month's update is a sort of Radar Altimeter that displays in the upper left hand corner and can be adjusted to show one's AGL altitude.

And I'm just learning the new simulator feature that allows one to "fly" their flight before they leave the ground (it's fun to crank the airspeed up to 300 knots and see how things would go if my 172 had more umph).

Oh, and not a feature, but I do find it nice that I'll email the developer a suggestion in the middle of the night (I do astronomy so that's when I'm up) and many times I get a reply within minutes (apparently he's a night owl too). Sometime an initial emailed suggestion will lead to an exchange of several emails that same night. Nice customer service.

I have not run into the problem "Captain" mentioned above yet but I'm going to check it out on the next flight.

Clear skies,

patrick

p.s. Regarding the article you linked to. It mentions no scratch pad with WingX. I think that was true when the article came out last year but a scratch pad is now included in WingX.

I fly a 150HP plane in the rocky mountains, Wing X has terrain data. My Wing X subscription just ran out so I opted for the 90 day foreflight one. Can't wait for that to run out so I can go back to Wing X.

Well, that might be a factor. Doc lives in Paris. Or close to it.

I think Alon uses Wing-X but not sure. I think its because Wing-X has charts outside the US and he lives in Israel.

I read the review in the first post. What struck me is how rapidly comments go stale. Both products are dramatically different from when the review was written.

I read the review in the first post. What struck me is how rapidly comments go stale. Both products are dramatically different from when the review was written.

And I bet most all agree that it's a good thing that the products keep being updated. It shows the product developers are actually listening to their customers. Plus many of the additional features make for safer flying.

patrick :)

I have both (plus Sky Charts Pro, and Naviator) Both products are awesome.
Generally, I like WingX best, but feel that Foreflight is a better company. They have a great website, great support, great forum, and great documentation. Hilton - not so much. Hilton seldom answers the phone, but when they do you'll likely be talking to the owner or developer. Hilton's website is amateurish, outdated, and they haven't had a forum for a year. If Hilton had the polish, they'd be hard to beat.
Tim

I had both installed on my Ipad. After few month I decided to go with Foreflight. From my standpoint of view Foreflight is more user friendly UI, and easier to use during the flight.

I am a WingX user. I did an extensive comparison of both WingX and ForeFlight during a flight from Augusta, Ga to Colorado Springs. Although both programs are great and you can't go wrong with either, WingX was the program that suited my fllying needs the best. It has a terrain database that ForeFlight does not have plus I like having the split screen option. ForeFlight crams a lot of information at the top of their map/sectional screen but it was very difficult for me to read while flying. WingX has the important things I need and displayed with a larger font that is so much easier for me to read. Some other neat features I liked in WingX are:
Distance and direction to the nearest airport displayed in lower left corner of map screen.
Airspace information displayed in the lower right corner of the map screen.
Synthetic Vision
Airspace, Runway and TFR overlays that are easy to use.

The one thing I really liked about ForeFlight was the way you created routes with a neat rubber banding feature for adding waypoints.
User defined waypoints were easier to create with ForeFlight too.

As I mentioned before, both are great programs and you won't go wrong with either. It really is a matter of which fits your fying needs the best. They both have a 30 day free trial period. You really need to download both and put them through the paces to see which you like the best and which one meets your flying needs. To me ForeFlight had an edge for IFR pilots the way you could group your plates and easily switch to the next plate during flight. WingX seemed to be more suited for VFR flights considering the terrain database information.

Two other nice factors with the WingX program is the ability to add on ADSB weather and an AHRS unit to drive the synthetic vision display.

YMMV :wink2:

I

Two other nice factors with the WingX program is the ability to add on ADSB weather and an AHRS unit to drive the synthetic vision display.

YMMV :wink2:

Plus ZAON XRX traffic can be displayed

Is ForeFlight planning to add terrain? My BF saved me on my last XC (found a valley) but it was not as obvious for me to see on the sectional. If the iPad had it I would have planned it out, on the ground (then again, on the ground foreflight told me the whole way it would be clear so I wasn't looking for valleys to escape my mountains).

Kim,

I'm in flatland and have no immediate need for this feature. This thread has pointed out lots of things and provided great information, but I think this one feature is a major deal for some people.

Foreflight has an EXCELLENT blog and tech support group. You can post that question and I would expect that you would get an answer very quickly, day or night.

Fly safe,
Doc

Plus ZAON XRX traffic can be displayed

I'm using WingX and the Dual gps receiver. I'm thinking about adding the ZAON to my little system. Do you have any tips or advice?

Just downloaded the new garmin app. Definitley up there with foreflight and wing x. Looks like the 30 day trial has full functions. Im looking to upgrade from skychartspro.

Mike5250, I started a thread about the new Garmin app, but didn't get any responses. I was pretty impressed by it! I think the 30 day trial has full functions except for georef charts.

I have to admit that I've been a huge fan of Foreflight. That said, I've tried WingX over the course of the last 30 days and came away pretty impressed. The interface is MUCH harder to learn, but if you spend time with it...it's pretty powerful. I really like some of the features that it has. I was within inches of dropping Foreflight and signing up for WingX when Foreflight announced the new Stratus receiver. I think that I'll be getting one of those and, as such, I'm sticking with Foreflight for the time being...

From a comedy bit done for radio in the 80s... done in horse-race announcer style.

"They're neck and neck. Arms and neck. Arms, legs and neck!

Homo Erectus! Homo Sapiens! Homo Erectus! Homo Sapiens!

[Boom...]

Ronald Regan drops the Bomb, and that's the end of the Human Race."

Seemed appropriate. Can't find the recording to post though. Lost on a cassette somewhere.

Is ForeFlight planning to add terrain? My BF saved me on my last XC (found a valley) but it was not as obvious for me to see on the sectional. If the iPad had it I would have planned it out, on the ground (then again, on the ground foreflight told me the whole way it would be clear so I wasn't looking for valleys to escape my mountains).

WingX SVT view you can "scroll up" in altitude for a higher vantage point than you hold. I find that nice for spotting islands from low, I can just do a 'pop up' on the iPad above a 3D terrain view. None of them give me Caribbean charts and database, however the 3D database goes down to 12N so at least the terrain and islands are visible if none of the database is. Wing X also takes me further offshore in the Low Enroutes than Foreflight.

Last edited:
Naviator has terrain now. I would assume, since ForeFlight is "better" that it should follow suit soon too.

I have to admit that I've been a huge fan of Foreflight. That said, I've tried WingX over the course of the last 30 days and came away pretty impressed. The interface is MUCH harder to learn, but if you spend time with it...it's pretty powerful. I really like some of the features that it has. I was within inches of dropping Foreflight and signing up for WingX when Foreflight announced the new Stratus receiver. I think that I'll be getting one of those and, as such, I'm sticking with Foreflight for the time being...

Thanks for mentioning the Stratus Jason! I went to their blog and read all about it. In addition to bringing in flight weather data to Foreflight it also provides WAAS to the GPS data.

All that said, for me it's a matter of "the more you get, the more you want." When I saw that it was ADS-B I assumed traffic awareness would come along with it. You can't have everything I suppose.

Until a few days ago, it was a two product shootout.... but those days are over. The increased competition should be good for all of us. With Garmin Pilot and Anywhere Map being available on both iPad/IOS and Android, I can see both WingX and FF having to follow. And there's plenty of room for newbies, too. I wouldn't be surprised if sponsor affiliations develop, like Sennhaiser's iFlightPlanner. Garmin's already got a leg-up on that game.

All that said, for me it's a matter of "the more you get, the more you want." When I saw that it was ADS-B I assumed traffic awareness would come along with it. You can't have everything I suppose.

As I understand it, you must have ADS-B Out to get traffic information, thus no handheld will ever have ADS-B traffic. :(

As I understand it, you must have ADS-B Out to get traffic information, thus no handheld will ever have ADS-B traffic. :(

That's weird. Does the system generate individual traffic alerts for your aircraft off of your position or something? Seems like the processing horsepower is plenty on-board in these gadgets to just do the math on-board.

Maybe a paranoia thing that they don't want to certify and handle the math in the gadget without some way to vet the results from a test suite. Interesting.

First the ADS-B traffic issue and Foreflight. As I understand it, the traffic information from the ADS-B network is only sent out In response to a ping from and ADS-B OUT device in the neighborhood. The devices available for us mortals are non-certificated receivers only that send out no such ping so you are flying blind if there are no ADS-B out planes around. If there IS such an airplane around, the ADS-B network merges ALL targets including Mode C, ADS-B out, and I think even primary radar targets without transponders and sends it out. So it is very much like the Zaon which depends upon local transponders being pinged by ATC or at least a local certificated traffic advisory system in a local airplane that sends out its own pings. So the Achilles heel of ADS-B receivers currently us the paucity of ADS-B pinging airplanes. That is why Foreflight chooses not to display the traffic. They can but they don't want a false sense of security. I disagree - provide it. I bet that when withing the vicinity of a large airport there are enough ADS-B transceivers around to make it worthwhile. SkyRadar does display traffic.

But WingX vs. Foreflight, I have used both and I prefer Foreflight because of its ease of use and incredible design. And I find the sectionals better quality. But they currently lack split screen and terrain. Personally I think split screen is sorely needed. They are aware, I think it'll come. As far as terrain, being based in the Plains I don't miss it, plus I have Synthetic Vision on the Aspen installed last week. But terrain would be very nice indeed.

Try them both and decide for yourself! But when Foreflight gets terrain and split screen I think most would prefer it. And prior comments on incredible customer support are absolutely true.

Mitch

First the ADS-B traffic issue and Foreflight. As I understand it, the traffic information from the ADS-B network is only sent out In response to a ping from and ADS-B OUT device in the neighborhood. The devices available for us mortals are non-certificated receivers only that send out no such ping so you are flying blind if there are no ADS-B out planes around. If there IS such an airplane around, the ADS-B network merges ALL targets including Mode C, ADS-B out, and I think even primary radar targets without transponders and sends it out. So it is very much like the Zaon which depends upon local transponders being pinged by ATC or at least a local certificated traffic advisory system in a local airplane that sends out its own pings. So the Achilles heel of ADS-B receivers currently us the paucity of ADS-B pinging airplanes. That is why Foreflight chooses not to display the traffic. They can but they don't want a false sense of security. I disagree - provide it. I bet that when withing the vicinity of a large airport there are enough ADS-B transceivers around to make it worthwhile. SkyRadar does display traffic.

But WingX vs. Foreflight, I have used both and I prefer Foreflight because of its ease of use and incredible design. And I find the sectionals better quality. But they currently lack split screen and terrain. Personally I think split screen is sorely needed. They are aware, I think it'll come. As far as terrain, being based in the Plains I don't miss it, plus I have Synthetic Vision on the Aspen installed last week. But terrain would be very nice indeed.

Try them both and decide for yourself! But when Foreflight gets terrain and split screen I think most would prefer it. And prior comments on incredible customer support are absolutely true.

Mitch

:confused: That's silly, why not transmit in the blind for everyone to get? It can't cost that much more.

As for customer support from both, my take: I had both on my iPad when I first got it to do a side by side evaluation. Both products had equally straight forward downloads and commissioning. Both products I had minor issues with, and since I'm one of those guys who still calls for weather, I pick up the phone and call them up and talk to Cheese direct, my issues are resolved by the end of the phone call; ie, I got the same excellent service from both, I could not expect better.

I did choose to keep WingX for the SVT. Between that and the 430w-500 combo, I'm solid for what I need and I only have to pay one premium $$ update on the 430w to be IFR legal /G. 796 would be a toss up because I can get SVT for the 500 for not much more, but the 796 I can take to other planes... Since I don't fly IFR really, I'm much more comfortable scooting along where I can see what the clouds are going to do to me.

I do however fly through mountains at night frequently when I fly so SVT is still super nice to have.

Ron, You say I'm highly risk tolerant, but I think you guys that fly in convective IMC are taking way bigger risks up there with no onboard radar, holy cow. I learned from professional gamblers and I'm not into those kinds of bets.

OH! Buy nothing from Bendix King.

:confused: That's silly, why not transmit in the blind for everyone to get? It can't cost that much more.

Not enough air-time/bandwidth available under maximum traffic density for the service volume of a particular ADS-B ground station's traffic service area, and also including faster WX updates during certain reported conditions within a particular region.

Remember, this is late 80s data transmission methods at best. They're not exactly using OFDM in this 20 year old system design. This is low speed stuff.

The system only responds to queries for traffic because eventually its a heavily oversubscribed data pipe.

Not enough air-time/bandwidth available under maximum traffic density for the service volume of a particular ADS-B ground station's traffic service area, and also including faster WX updates during certain reported conditions within a particular region.

Remember, this is late 80s data transmission methods at best. They're not exactly using OFDM in this 20 year old system design. This is low speed stuff.

The system only responds to queries for traffic because eventually its a heavily oversubscribed data pipe.
Oy:mad2:

@Henning, I agree with you that there's no reason why the ADS-B system couldn't send out the data every 30 seconds or so. No way that the system is so marginal that this would make a difference, it'd be no different from one more airplane pinging periodically. Therefore either the FAA is stupid or there are other technical issues at play that we don't know.

I think I will get weather from ADS-B at some point but right now there are too many mutually exclusive and proprietary options out there to act. But I'm right at the edge of acting on the Stratus from Foreflight, it's integrated with their software very well:
http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/03/...portable-ads-b-weather-for-foreflight-mobile/
It does receive traffic also but they choose not to display that. I anticipate they will implement that as ads-b pinging airplanes increase in number.

Keep in mind also that in the FAA's designer's minds, the "traffic problem" is already fixed and a non-issue via TCAS and Mode-S transponders.

One other wild card is that ADS-B with Aspen-supported hardware may well share XM weather data on all devices such as your 430W, of course the Aspen, and an iPad. Or so my spies tell me. I'm on the sidelines paying my XM Master Mariner for my 496. It is actually nice having that separate screen devoted to weather.

WingX has just released V6.4 - interestingly claims ADS-B traffic

Like the addition of obstacles

As much as I like WingX, I hate their documentation (none), forum (none), and video tutorials (none in 5 months). Has anybody figured out how to use the feature called "radar altimeter" introduced a couple updates back?

how to use the feature called "radar altimeter" introduced a couple updates back?

It is not all that exciting.....

It is either the height of the terrain below you or the difference your current position and terrain below you (AGL)

I figured, since they have terrain info, the calculation is pretty simple... But I'm unable to find where it shows up in the program.

I figured, since they have terrain info, the calculation is pretty simple... But I'm unable to find where it shows up in the program.
Top left corner of the sectional screen. Tap the 'terrain' box for options.

Last edited:
Thanx Mick...
'I'm just off the short bus... 'only button my WingX has in upper-left on moving map is the "menu" button, which goes back to the main screen. I gotta be missing something...

I think the 'Terrain' button replaced the 'Traffic' status message which was in the same place previously, it indicated that WingX was in sync with the Zaon unit or not.

Hope they put that status back on main display soon.

In the upper left in the Maps page, just below the Menu button, it shows the altitude. By default this is the MSL altitude. Press the altitude itself, not the button, to bring up a radar altimeter menu to display approximate AGL or to calibrate the GPS.

Back