Foreflight vs. WingX Shootout?

Thanx Mick...
'I'm just off the short bus... 'only button my WingX has in upper-left on moving map is the "menu" button, which goes back to the main screen. I gotta be missing something...

Are you running the latest version of WingX?

It's not a button. It is a box below the menu button that displays the terrain altitude and the word terrain below the number. This box will be black, yellow or red depending on your altitude above the terrain. Tap this box to get the options menu for this box.

Last edited:
running 6.4 on an iPad1. Normal current subscription (no georef,fuel,SV). Don't have any box or numbers below the "menu" button (with or without route, terrain on/off). hmmmmm.

Is your GPS linked up to WingX with data being displayed in the CDI portion of the screen? If all you are seeing is CDI with no GPS data, you will not get the terrain indicator box. Ensure your GPS is on and supplying WingX with data.

Nope... even setup a route and got in the car and drove around... still no box below the "menu" button.
I'm starting to think it's a bug. Anybody else out there who uses WingX and doesn't see an altitude box just below the "menu" button when viewing the sectional moving map?

Nope... even setup a route and got in the car and drove around... still no box below the "menu" button.
I'm starting to think it's a bug. Anybody else out there who uses WingX and doesn't see an altitude box just below the "menu" button when viewing the sectional moving map?

I had this problem and fixed it by deleting WingX and installing again. Give it a try. You'll have to download all charts again.

I may have the answer... even though their telephone tech support said it should work, their email support said that feature is not supported in the iPad 1. First time I've had reason to upgrade.

Last edited:
If you do end up dropping the cash you won't regret it. iPad 3 is a screamer.

I really like Wing X but I am and Android user and it lacks the features of the IPAD. They still charge the same for what I would say is half the features. Lacks moving map. Also I have had a number of support issues with updates and other things and their support is not good. They do not respond to e-mails in a timely manner. On all occasions I have needed support I have had to send and e-mail ever few days and then maybe after about a week they may reply. And then after their initial reply it could take another several days to get a resolution. All to to not responding to emails in a timely manner.

Also lack any kind of formal forum to discuss features issues, ideas etc.

I do give them credit for being one of the first to at least have something on the Android but they haven't had any updates to add features since they firs released it about 1 11/2 or so ago. They do not respond to e-mails inquires on what they are doing or planning for future development if any,

Wooohooo! Wingx now has Track-up OR North-Up on the moving map

I fly a 150HP plane in the rocky mountains, Wing X has terrain data. My Wing X subscription just ran out so I opted for the 90 day foreflight one. Can't wait for that to run out so I can go back to Wing X.
my subscription on foreflight runs out soon I am VFR pilot I am thinking of renewing my standard foreflight subscription for $ 75.00 and than purchasing a WingXPro for $99.00 which would be be only extra $ 25.00 on buying a foreflight Pro for $ 150.00 I use a Ipad 3/64 any thoughts people I intend to be a VFR for at least another one year

Much has changed in WingX over the last year. I've been and FF holdout for a long time. But recent flights with WingX are showing me that how WingX works in flight makes it a bit more attractive.

email Hilton and ask for a 30-day evaluation and check it out yourself.

After using FF and WingX I give Foreflight a definite edge in preflight planning, and WingX the edge for in flight usage. It's great Foreflight now has hazard advisor, but it's retarded you have to go pro to get it when it comes out of the box in WingX. Planning a flight in WingX leads to more frustration than it does in Foreflight for me.

Right now they are just playing catch up with each other and there is no perfect solution. Something also tells me that the big boys like Garmin and Jeppesen could clean both their clocks if they really devoted more resource to it.

Just my .02 cents as a VFR pilot..

I have not used either but from what I've read I really like the multiple panels on the WingX but the rubber band feature for enroute route changes would make the decision in favor of Foreflight.

Adam,
WingX has a "rubber banding" like feature. You just touch and it creates a point and adjusts the route to include that point. Not exactly rubber-banding, but gives the same effect. I think their rationale was that it takes less accuracy to click one point, than to have to click on the line and then drag it to the destination. Think bouncy flight and fumble-fingers.

Right now they are just playing catch up with each other and there is no perfect solution. Something also tells me that the big boys like Garmin and Jeppesen could clean both their clocks if they really devoted more resource to it.

Larger companies are better at checking boxes in brochures, that is, adding features without any thought as to HOW those features work. So far, it seems like the smaller companies have a major advantage in usability.

Adam,
WingX has a "rubber banding" like feature. You just touch and it creates a point and adjusts the route to include that point. Not exactly rubber-banding, but gives the same effect. I think their rationale was that it takes less accuracy to click one point, than to have to click on the line and then drag it to the destination. Think bouncy flight and fumble-fingers.

I think in bouncy flight and fumble-fingers I'd much rather NOT have a simple touch added to the route - I'd end up with extra waypoints all over the place! The act of rubber-banding specifically keeps inadvertent taps from causing changes to the flight plan.

I think in bouncy flight and fumble-fingers I'd much rather NOT have a simple touch added to the route - I'd end up with extra waypoints all over the place! The act of rubber-banding specifically keeps inadvertent taps from causing changes to the flight plan.
That's not how it works. After you touch and hold the screen a second, it displays a pop-up window of options for you to select what you want to do with the waypoint. If you accidently touched the screen long enough to get the pop-up, just touch the screen again away from the pop-up and it goes away. You have to hold the touch on the screen for a couple of seconds to get the pop-up so you won't get pop-ups by accidently touching the screen. Like CT4ME, I found the WingX method of adding a waypoint "in flight" easier than the ForeFlight method of touching the existing flight path line and dragging it to the point you want. ForeFlight looks great and works great in the bedroom doing flight planning, but for readability and functionality during flight I have to give the edge to WingX.

Last edited:
I have not tried Foreflight yet but played around with trial versions of Garmin Pilot and Wing X. I like the interface on Garmin Pilot and the SVT on Wing X but without an external AHRS unit, its not going to do me any good. I will try out Foreflight on my iPad mini and see how I like it before making a long term decision. Garmin has Safe Taxi which I really like.

Garmin has Safe Taxi which I really like.

ForeFlight Pro also has the same feature - Your airplane moving around on the airport diagram. The airport diagram comes on-screen automatically as you slow through 40 knots on the landing roll.

ForeFlight Pro also has the same feature - Your airplane moving around on the airport diagram. The airport diagram comes on-screen automatically as you slow through 40 knots on the landing roll.

I much prefer ForeFlight's implementation of this feature than Garmin's SafeTaxi. FF uses the NOAA airport diagrams which are more detailed than SafeTaxi.

My opinion, of course.

Back